Counterfeit Tdk's?

vbimport

Hello all.

Recently i purchased several spindles of TDK 8x +R blank DVD’s from someone on Ebay (they were located in Texas).

Prior to purchasing these DVD’s on Ebay, i had been using TDK 4X +R blank DVD’S that i had purchased from Costco without a hitch. Every DVD out of that pack that i burned came out perfectly.

I received the 8x DVD’s that i purchased off of Ebay earlier today. I didn’t think anything at first as they came maufacturer sealed and unopened.

However after opening the package, i felt a noticeable difference in the texture of the DVD’s. With the label side od the TDK’s i purchased from Costco being a bit rough while the label side of these TDK’s that i purchased off of Ebay were super smooth. Next to the feel of the DVD’s if you are looking at them label side up, side by side, they look the same.

I burned one disc and it came out ok, but the second disc i burned ended up a coaster. I know it could just be a fluke since it has only happened to one disc, but why the dramatic difference in the texture? and i never had a single disc go bad out of the Costco bunch.

What do you guys think? Am i dealing with counterfeits here? can anyone offer me any further advice to help me out?

Many thanks people!

Might help if you post the MID code from both batches.
And, compare the bar code and serial numbers to the “real” TDK.
I doubt they are fakes, but might be from a different maker. TDK sells only OEM media.

Ok.

Where can i locate the “MID” code & serial number?

One more thing RDGRIMES…

Why such a dramatic difference in the physical texture of the Costco bunch vs. the ebay bunch?

Use a program like DVDInfoPro to scan the discs while they are in the DVDRW drive.

The texture difference could be that TDK purchased the discs in your e-bay spindles from a different manufacturer. They use a couple different suppliers and just stamp their name on it. That’s why the media ID is important.

MID codes would certainly be a good idea. TDK is an INCREADABLY good media at least where 4X +RW is concerned. At least, the price certainly indicates this as, I’ve yet to find them for less than $8-$9 EACH. I settled on Verbatim 4x +RW’s for considerably less actualy.

JD

Thanks for the suggestion.

How do i locate the MID code and what exactly does the MID code reveal?

MID is Manufacturer ID code. Since the free DVDInfoPro is expired and there’s currently no new version available, I’d suggest downloading DVD Identifier from here at this link:
http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/
This will tell you who the ACTUAL manufacturere is.

JD

Go here and get this program and install it.

Pick the tab for dvd+ or dvd- and then press identify. Then click on “drive capabilities” then control a to select all then control c to copy and then paste the info in a reply to this thread. You can also right click in the text window as well and follow the prompts.

That is the MID code people are taking about.

MID is Manufacturer ID code. Since the free DVDInfoPro is expired and there’s currently no new version available, I’d suggest downloading DVD Identifier from here at this link:
This will tell you who the ACTUAL manufacturer is.

JD

{Edit} I got beat to the punch again! lol

Here are the results:

** INFO : An Empty Writable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : Drive = BENQ DVD DD DW1620 [FW B7K9]
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+RW DVD+R DVD+R-DL
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-RW DVD-R
** INFO : Disc = [DVD+R:CMC MAG-E01-000]
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 11080 KBPS ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 5540 KBPS ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 3324 KBPS ( 2.40x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

Just noticed the top part.

under manufacturer it says:

CMC Magnetics corp.

Yup. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those disks suck donkey-nuts. :frowning: What’s the MID on the ones you were using before? (The GOOD TDK’s)

This is the perilous part of media purchasing. I’d personaly NEVER recomed buying media off e-bay as even WELL REGUARDED RETAILERS often get poor media. I deal pretty much EXCLUSIVELY with www.newegg.com and www.rima.com

Try some Taiyo Yuden media from rima. http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=R&Category_Code=TAIYO

JD

Nothing wrong with CMC in a decent burner, but I’ll bet the first batch was Ricoh. So, this is all “normal”, these are not fakes.

Guys thanks for the help.

Now the most important question:

Do i have grounds to return this media as fraudulent?

If i am understanding “rdgrimes” correctly, i do not have grounds as TDK actually purchases the discs from another manufacturer and slaps their logo on them. Is that correct?

Return, no… (unfortunately) you don’t have a legitimate gripe as far as being cheated by anyone, but it’d have been SOOOOO much better if you’d gotten a media code like TTG02, TDK001, ricohjpnr02, or TDK T02.

Were I you I’d be thinking about buying some REAL media at www.rima.com or other reputable seller’s site, like the TY I mentioned previously, and set those CMC’s aside for use as, “Buddy disks.” (IE, “Oh, here you go buddy!” lol) I’ve burned ALOT of CMC cdr media, and I’d say about 10% or so has begun to flake and/or fail over the course of 5-8 years, which to me is not acceptable. They did burn ok and worked while they WORKED, but it IS in fact, some of the cheapest media available, not only then, but now as well.

Look around in the media reviews as well as in the bargain basement and see what people think of CMC Mag on a broader scale.

I’d still like to know what MID the disks you got earlier were. :wink:

JD

Joe many thanks for the help, people like yourself and rdgrimes make this hobby and website that much more enjoyable. :slight_smile:

I am burning a disc right now, but as soon as i finish, i will go and grab one of my old Cosco TDK’s and let you know about the MID.

I just noticed this!!!

** INFO : Drive = BENQ DVD DD DW1620 [FW B7K9]

B7K9 is WAY old for firmware on our BenQ’s. I’d potentially try upgrading to at least B7P9 if not all the way to B7T9… just a suggestion though. :smiley:

Thanks for the reminder.

I had meant to check on the firmware a while ago because i figured it was kind of old, but i just hadn’t gotten around to it yet.

On another note:

The reason i purchased a BenQ was due to a moderator on this website. I was going to purchase a Lite-on and i came acrossed a thread where everyone and their brother was arguing about which burner was the best. Well some mod (can’t recall who) jumped into the whole argument and said words to the effect of telling people that he couldn’t understand why no one was bringing in smaller less known burners (like Benq) into the whole discussion. He said that he uses nothing but Benq drives and that they are as good and better than most anything out there.

After reading the whole debate which went on and on and on, i decided to buy a Benq (even though i had never heard of it at the time) solely because this particular mod said that is all that he uses. Well let me just tell you, he couldn’t have been more right. I absolutely love my burner and it kicks ass!
It has burned everything i have thrown at it efficiently, perfectly and fast…

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hey Joe; you were right, the cosco TDK’s were Richo Japan R01.

:slight_smile: