Counterfeit DVDs?

I have purchased a cake box of Taiyo Yuden DVDs at a great price online from a site listed by price-grabber. Unfortunately I did not check the dealer’s rating which is low. I judge the discs to be counterfeit. The Blue dye is lighter than any TY I have ever bought. The cake box had no label or spacers, the code on the discs is unfamiliar. the disc isnot quite heavy enough and the top one has an obvious flaw visible on the top I have written feedback complaining and asking for a refund. I need to request a return merchandise authorization. Is there anything else I should do? I’ve just joined the forum and this is my first post.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Have a look around the hub of the disc, and tell us any codes that you see. You don’t say what speed your TYs are, or whether they’re -R or +R, so I can’t tell you what you should see. :wink:

Edit: take a look at the first post in this thread, scroll down a bit, and it will tell you the various hub codes for genuine Taiyo Yuden media.

Why can’t you just use “DVD Identifier” or “DVD Info” to see what it is? Or do counterfeits even identify themselves as being the real thing?

Because they’ll just tell you the MID - and MIDs can easily be faked. :wink:

Example: I had some Made in Hong Kong “Mr. DVD” DVD-Rs given to me. In CD-DVD Speed, the MID showed up as TYG02. These discs were obviously not Taiyo Yuden discs, being Made in Hong Kong.