Couldn't understand how 'ATIP protection' works

Hi, i’m trying to understand how does the ATIP protection works, but didn’t got it from the knowledge base. :frowning:

In the Knowledge Base it says:
‘Only a CD-Writer can read the ATIP (because like I said before this ATIP is only needed when writing a CD-R).’

and then later:
‘The ATIP protection is based on this fact: when the game starts it checks if there’s ATIP info present: if so then it will presume it’s a CD-R disc and will not play. However a normal CD-ROM cannot read this ATIP and will of course ‘say’ that this data is not present: thus the copy will work…’

So if only a cd-writer can read the ATIP, how come it can protect against any non-writer cd-rom out there (which most of us do have)?

Thx,

So if only a cd-writer can read the ATIP, how come it can protect against any non-writer cd-rom out there (which most of us do have)?

i’m not totally sure what u mean by that line, but i’ll try to clarify about atip protection. a burner is capable of reading the atip on a cd, while a non-burner can’t. when u start a game up, it might check the disc u’re playing from for the presence of an atip. if u’re playing from a burner, it’ll return the atip (if u’re playing from a cdr copy), which signifies that the disc isn’t the original game disc. if it’s a non-burner, it can’t return the atip, so the game can’t verify that u’re playing with a cdr copy. therefore it proceeds to allow u to play the game.

there are also programs that enable the hiding of the atip from every other program except itself, such as alcohol and clonecd.

Some DVD drives can also read atip information.

Originally posted by AZImmortal

a burner is capable of reading the atip on a cd, while a non-burner can’t.

How this protection helps against a non-burner cd-rom ?
I mean - regular cd-readers canno’t read ATIP anyway. how does this protection prevent them from running a non-original cd ?

Originally posted by Nope
[B]

How this protection helps against a non-burner cd-rom ?
I mean - regular cd-readers canno’t read ATIP anyway. how does this protection prevent them from running a non-original cd ? [/B]
It doesnt. It is meant to target cdrs, as most people with a copy of a game will most certainly have a cdr, and chances are that they will try to load the game from there.

For more info on ATIP, try SirDavidGuy’s Page of Technical Misinformation

It seems to me like a lousy protection, IMHO. :smiley:

It is part of a total solution. They never use ATIP-check protection as the sole protection mechanism.

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
It is part of a total solution. They never use ATIP-check protection as the sole protection mechanism.

Indeed, it’s invariably just a little extra check used on securom new, securom 4.8x and safedisc ~2.41+ protected cds.

Some games do only use a simple atip check though, SOF2 being one of them.

ATIP checking is just too simple to not do. it is a simple query to the drive. if they can thwart / annoy people with something thats very cost-efficient, why not do it? i would.