Couldn't find answers to these questions

Hey there everyone - brand spanking new here so bear with me :slight_smile:

I’m considering buying my first dvd burner and have done my research, but couldn’t really find answers to a couple of questions.

1. I’ve read that DVD+/- media (as I suppose is true of CDs as well) has a much more limited lifespan than say a DVD movie you go out and buy. How much truth is there to this? I’ve never noticed such a problem with burned CDs over the years myself, but it would be good to at least have someone confirm or deny this for me :wink:

2. The ongoing +/- debate… I’ve read all the comparisons I could find and I don’t see a strong reason to go with one over the other right now. + seems a little more robust, but other than the price of media and any specific compatibility issues with target devices is there a preferred format?

3. With dual layer burners on the horizon would it make any sense to hold off a little longer on buying until they are available?

I think that’s it for now. Thanks for putting up with me :bigsmile:

1. I’ve read that DVD+/- media (as I suppose is true of CDs as well) has a much more limited lifespan than say a DVD movie you go out and buy. How much truth is there to this? I’ve never noticed such a problem with burned CDs over the years myself, but it would be good to at least have someone confirm or deny this for me
    If you mean by this shelf life then it all depends on the media you buy, an example being Taiyo Yuden (the best media around) has a shelf life of 100 years if stored correctly.
  1. The ongoing +/- debate… I’ve read all the comparisons I could find and I don’t see a strong reason to go with one over the other right now. + seems a little more robust, but other than the price of media and any specific compatibility issues with target devices is there a preferred format?
    This all depends on what you want, ie -R is better for movies in old stand alone dvd players.
  1. With dual layer burners on the horizon would it make any sense to hold off a little longer on buying until they are available?
    They are all ready here my friend, in no specific order.

[ul]Pioneer A07
Lite-on
NEC 2500a
[/ul]

Originally posted by johnboywalton
[B]If you mean by this shelf life then it all depends on the media you buy, an example being Taiyo Yuden (the best media around) has a shelf life of 100 years if stored correctly.

Yep I’m talking shelf life after a burn has been done. See that sounds more realistic to me. I was seeing people talking about only a couple of years shelf life on some disks. If that were the case this wouldn’t be a very good investment for me.

This all depends on what you want, ie -R is better for movies in old stand alone dvd players.

Now see I had been told that +R is better for movies in the stand alone players :stuck_out_tongue: My stand alone player is a Toshiba 2200 which seems to do ok on all both + and - from what I’ve read.

They are all ready here my friend, in no specific order.

[ul]Pioneer A07
Lite-on
NEC 2500a
[/ul] [/B]

I checked into the NEC and Lite On models, but I can’t seem to find specifics regarding dual layer burning support. I can get that NEC 2500a for under $100 US so I may just go for that one anyway :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply, too.

As to shelf life its what you pay for is what you get, I bought unbranded CD’s when 2x cdrw drives where the fastest thing in a PC and not a single one has passed the stand of time (in my case a layer of rust appeared at the inner ring making all discs unreadable in some cases the disc’s weren’t even a year old), and it’s probably the same with DVD unbranded cheap discs.

Sorry I miss read your last question dual layer burners aren’t available yet, probably out sometime this year, some people are talking about this month to next but I’ve never seen anything concrete yet myself to confirm this. I thought you where asking about dual format burners ie + / - R burners thats what I was talking about.

Personally I’d leave it a year over these dual layer burners as with all new technology its just to expensive unless you’ve got a big wallet and the discs will be dear to I would imagine. The NEC and lite-on are both good drives according to reports on this forum so you shouldn’t go wrong there.

Hope this helps, if not just ask away.:slight_smile:

Yep that does help :slight_smile: I thought I had read the dual layer burners were due out later this year and I agree I’m sure both the drives as well as the media are bound to be pricey. Myself, I’m a cheap bastard so I’ll go the NEC 2500a route here and try to find the cheapest media that’s a notch above generic for starters :bigsmile:

As for software, it would seem Nero and DVD Shrink are pretty popular around here…

Yep its what I use (nero and shrink).
As to blanks have a look around and do a bit of searching as some drives don’t like certain blanks but if you can get hold of taiyo yuden unbranded then it’s money well spent.
Glad to be of help…:smiley: