Could my Lite On LDW-811S have just died?

vbimport

Hi all, I wish my first post wasn’t about such an exasperating problem! I have a LDW-811S, with firmware HS0R. I’ve been running it in Windows XP Pro, SP 1, since March 2004. I have used it almost constantly since then to burn DVDs using a combo of DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink (w/ Nero 6 Ultra Edition 6.0.0.0). I have had no problems, except for the odd firmware update or DMA to PIO switch. I have used Ritek G04 and Taiyo Yuden TY02 DVD-R media exclusively with no problems whatsoever. Now, two nights ago I was backing up my Monty Python collection. Everything went fine. I went to back up my Kung Fu collection, and decrypted Master Of the Flying Guillotine using DVD Decrypter in ISO read mode with no issues. I went to burn it in ISO write mode, and all was fine until it hit around 72%, then it failed. I tried again, and made a second coaster. I tried a different media, but alas, another coaster. I gave up at that point and went to back up The Five Deadly Venoms using the same method. This time, it failed during the read mode. Right after this series of events, the drive stopped reading anything at all. I tried factory DVDs, CDs, data discs, but every time, you could hear the drive spinning, then it would make a quiet clicking noise. Then it made a grinding noise that I didn’t like at all. If you left the disc in there it would just repeat this cycle endlessly.
I tried restarting the computer, then I uninstalled the drivers and restarted again. Still nothing. Then I took it out of the tower, opened it (don’t worry, it wasn’t under warranty anymore), and checked to see if the tray or the laser was out of alignment. All looked fine and dandy, so I reinstalled it, praying that just by me taking it out and touching its insides would miraculously heal it… No such luck. It still wouldn’t read anything. I tried restarting the comp with my Windows bootup disc in there, to see if it was the drive or some Windows IDE problem, but it hung up between BIOS and Windows for a minute, then went straight to my Desktop. So, I’m flummoxed! Does this sound like a dead drive/laser to you experts out there? Any advice would be much appreciated! :bow:

It sounds dead to me, you could try it in another PC to make sure though.
Getting 2 years with constant burning out of a 811S is a fairly good run.
My 411S@811S still works but I only use it for burning the odd CD and for reading DVD’s only, it will still burn DVD’s but 9 out of 10 times the movie backup is unwatchable.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I will try it in my friend’s computer just to make sure, though. I was hoping it would last longer, but if it’s at the end of its life, then so be it. Such is life! :rolleyes:

Well, just a quick post for closure… I hooked the drive up to my friend’s PC, and it wouldn’t work for her either. :sad: But, I have moved on, and have ordered a replacement drive. I upgraded to a 16x burner: the NEC ND-3540A, which I hear is quite good for my purposes, and reading the review on this very site clinched the decision for me. I found it at Newegg.com for only $41.99, plus $4.00 shipping! Woo-hoo! Thanks CD Freaks! You guys are the most awesome site for digital info!!! :bow: I will be using my new NEC with 8x Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs, and will let you know how I like it within the next week! Thanks again! :flower: