Could my IDE controller card cause burns to fail?

vbimport

I’m mainly a software monkey, and I tend to overlook things when it comes to hardware. I was unsure if this would be the best place to post it, but as far as I know I have eliminated software issues.

I havent tried to burn anything in awhile, but now when I try to burn anything with nero 8, I get an invalid block address message.

When I perused some common causes of this, I examined the log file and noticed that my DVD burner says that DMA is not enabled.

I go to device manager, and look for it to enable it, and find my drive under the dvd/cdrom section, and I see nothing that is about enabling DMA. I checked the IDE/ATA/ATAPI section, and see that both my primary and secondary IDE have dma enabled.

Then I remembered that when I upgraded my system awhile back, I forgot to get a mobo with enough IDE slots on it(it has 1, and I have both of my hdds on that). So I have a pci ide controller card, and in the same section, it is there under standard pce ide controller.

There is no advanced tab, and there is no mention of DMA in any other tab that I have(general, drivers, details, resources).

My gut tells me Im looking in the right place, but I have no idea how to check this, and the only info I have on the controller card is during bootup, I see a screen that has IT 8212 atapi bios, and it lists my NEC drive as the only device(which is correct).

Google seems to think it is a IT8212F ATA133 RAID Controller, and I tried getting the most current driver from thissite

I tried to burn another DVD, and got another coaster.

Am I looking in the right place? Is it possible, and if so how can I get DMA mode enabled?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

yeah it can. ITE controllers are notoriously bad for optical drives in my experience. I ended up hooking my hard drives to them and using onboard native IDE for my optical drives.

Hi and Welcome,[quote=testsubject;2084258]
When I perused some common causes of this, I examined the log file and noticed that my DVD burner says that DMA is not enabled.[/quote]Nero can’t report DMA for drives that are connected to add-on contollers, or to controllers that are run with drivers from the chipset manufacturer.

My gut tells me Im looking in the right place, but I have no idea how to check this, and the only info I have on the controller card is during bootup, I see a screen that has IT 8212 atapi bios, and it lists my NEC drive as the only device(which is correct).
There are not many PCI IDE controllers that support optical drives properly.

To sort out if it is the controller, I would just install the HDDs to the ITE controller and attach the burner to the onboard IDE connector (hopefully it is not a Jmicron beast).

Michael

You guys were right! I have burned both a cd and a DVD just fine!

Thank you much!