Could it be my power supply?

vbimport

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. For the past two months or so I have been getting random lock-ups and shutdowns of my pc. Most of the time I get a blue screen of death but it goes by so fast I cannot get the error info. I have been told it could be a power supply issue or a graphics card issue, or a driver issue, etc. My first reaction was that the power supply was bad/not powerful enough because the top fan of my case does not turn unless you start it manually. Then when it is going it will kinda sputter a little and stop. On a whim I tried removing my graphics card I had bought and using just the integrated card on the mobo. I thought I had my solution. the pc ran great for a week straight with no problems. then I put the graphics card i purchased back in and it was doing the random shut downs again…problem discovered. But alas, today running on the integrated card, I got two lockups/shutdowns. Does this sound like more of a power supply problem to anyone? I know psu’s are not extre,mely expensive. But I guess one question would be if the psu I got is powerful enough. if anyone can look at the specs i give and let me know if the 750W PSU i bought is enough or if it souinds like it may be going bad. thanks greatly for any help. Here are my specs:

Asus M4A78T-E Motherboard with AMD Phenom II X4 955 Quad Core Processor w/Fan Bundle

Thermaltake - V9 Black Edition Mid-Tower Case w 4 fans, one front, one back, one side, and one top.

Corsair XMS3 CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 Tri Channel 6GB PC12800 DDR3 Memory - 1600MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048)

XFX HD577AZNFC Radeon HD 5770 Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, Dual DVI, Display Port, HDMI

LITE-ON BLU RAY READER, CD/DVD WRITER

What kinda PS did you buy name brand or off brand? What are its specs or a link so other can see the specs and see what it is? I read somewhere the PS should be 2x the total power your system takes to reduce heat generated from usage and to have reserve when you need it.

Your video card doesn’t use a lot of power so I’m going to guess you have a driver issue or something software wise messed up.

I would suggest to uninstall the video drivers in add/remove software (don’t reboot), download ‘driver sweeper’ (free) HERE, set it to clean the ATI drivers, then reboot and install the latest drivers from AMD’s website (don’t use the CD that the video card came with).

My power supply is: Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply
Would it be a driver problem even if it it doing it with the integrated card from the mobo as well?

[QUOTE=haholla;2526422]My power supply is: Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply
Would it be a driver problem even if it it doing it with the integrated card from the mobo as well?[/QUOTE]

yes it could be especially if you used the drivers from the CD that the card came with.

Ultra is considered a very poor quality PSU, so that could still be the problem, but first do what I suggested above.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2526372]I would suggest to uninstall the video drivers in add/remove software (don’t reboot), download ‘driver sweeper’ (free) HERE, set it to clean the ATI drivers, then reboot and install the latest drivers from AMD’s website (don’t use the CD that the video card came with).[/QUOTE]

Actually, running DriverSweeper without rebooting will not remove some traces of the old drivers. This is because DriverSweeper cannot remove files that are still in use by Windows, and the system must be rebooted in order for those files to become inactive (read: not be loaded). Instead, reboot in Safe Mode (press F8 just when the system starts booting after the BIOS or splash screen), then from the list of options, select “Safe Mode”.

The Ultra PSUs seems to be a hit or miss really. The X4 series seams to be quite good while X2 is poor as an example.

Given that you have you non standard voltage on your memory I would guess this might be an issue as well. FWIW I just stumbled upon another of the famous “lets buy some nonstandard shit and then find out that it doesn’t work as it should” tm at a co-worker finishing his new build.

Does your computer work as it should if you run lets say memtest86+ ?

//Danne

I’ve run memtest and use the AMD overdrive program to monitor temps on mobo, processors, and graphics card. All temps show ok.