Could I damage my DVD player by using other media?

Hi! i have a Panasonic S27 DVD player in my room. According to the manual I could use DVD-R, CD-R and CD-RW but no DVD-RW, DVD+RW, or DVD+R media. However, I’ve been using DVD-RW media and it reads just fine (in fact it loads very fast, just like a regular DVD) and I heard someone saying that DVD+Rmedia worked fine.

My question is, could I damage the player by using media other than that specified on the DVD player’s manual?

Generally the media mentioned in the manual is the type of media that the player is designed to play. However, if the manual says “cannot play DVD-RW, DVD+RW, etc.”, then it means either the manufacturer has not tested this media or has found issues with several brands of this type of media.

Even if you find the media they mention not compatible works, the reason they mention this is to prevent consumers from returning their DVD players as “faulty” should their DVD player act up on media the manufacturer has found issues with. However, there is no risk in damaging your DVD player from playing (or attempting to play) recordable media the manufacturer does not recommend or mention as compatible. :cool:

On the other hand, I remember coming across articles that mention about early model DVD players from several years back were known for damaging CD-R media. :eek: