Could DVDFab cause audio problem?

A couple of months ago I was having trouble backing up a DVD with DVDFab Platinum. I can’t recall the movie or what version of DVDFab I was using. Anyway, while trying to make the backup DVDFab froze and the DVD drive sounded like it was trying to read the same spot over and over. I had to use “End Task” to shut down DVDFab and a paper clip to eject the disk. After this happened any time I played a DVD the audio was distorted (like a crackling sound). However, all other audio sources (MP3, streaming audio from the web, etc. sounded fine)

The laptop is still under warranty so I called Toshiba and was able to take it to a local authorized repair shop. They replaced the DVD drive. I brought it home and used it for maybe a week with no problems. Then suddenly the crackling sound came back. I don’t recall if it was in conjunction with me using DVDFab. I took it back to the shop and they replaced the main board and the DVD drive (thank God for the warranty). I brought it home and used it for about a month with no problems. Until last night . . .

I started DVDFab so I could back up “3:10 to YUMA” and a message popped up regarding the latest upgrade (4.1.0.2). I upgraded DVDFab then attempted to backup “3:10 to YUMA”. DVDFab froze and the DVD drive started making that “skipping” sound again. After a reboot I tested several DVD’s in the drive. The crackling sound was back!

I remembered the guy at the repair shop saying that the cracking sound could be a software problem. He said that if the problem came back I might need to reformat my hard drive and do a clean install. Yuck! But with that in mind I decided to do a system restore. I chose a restore point from 3PM yesterday (before I upgraded DVDFab and attempted the backup of “3:10 to YUMA”). I was surprised to discover that this fixed the problem. The crackling is gone. But now what?

It appears that this is a software problem. I now have a new DVD drive and main board but I’m worried that the problem will come back if I attempt to backup the “wrong movie”. I backed up other movies over the last few weeks with no problem. This sounds crazy but is it possible that certain DVD’s contain a virus to punish those who would dare to backup a movie? Maybe it’s a driver issue with DVDFab? I’d appreciate any input on this. I’ve included some info regarding my system. Please let me know if more info is needed.

Cheers!
-R

[PC Information]
Model Name Satellite M115
Part Number PSMB0U-015007
Serial Number XXXXXXXXXX
OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
BIOS Version 1.50
CPU Genuine Intel® CPU T2050 @ 1.60GHz
Physical Memory 3072MB RAM
Hard Disk Capacity 80,023,749,120 [Byte] 74.528 [GB]
Hard Disk Free Space Capacity 48,505,618,432 [Byte] 45.174 [GB]
Video Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family version=6.14.10.4543
Screen Resolution 1024 x 768 Pixels
Color Quality True Color (32 Bit)
Sound Realtek High Definition Audio version=5.10.0.5288
Network Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC version=5.652.627.2006 MAC Address=XXXXXXXXX
Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection version=10.5.1.57 MAC Address=XXXXXXXX
Modem TOSHIBA Software Modem version=2.1.68.0
IDE Device 1 TOSHIBA MK8032GSX
IDE Device 2 None
IDE Device 3 MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-841S FW version=1.60
IDE Device 4 None
IDE Device 5 None
IDE Device 6 None
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13

Don’t think DVDFab is at fault here, Have your Sound cad checked there could be a problem between it and the Realtek High Definition Audio driver,…do you have any other audio software or drivers installed on your system

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I have Widows Media Player installed. I guess that would qualify as audio software.

How can I find what audio drivers are installed on my system? I was able to generate a huge list of all drivers but it doesn’t specify which are audio drivers.

-R

if the sound only crackles when reading from DVd & not when reading from hard drive, then it’s likely to be a problem with the DVD hardware.
some dvds do try to install software to your pc, but mostly they ask 1st. I don’t know if Yuma does this as I don’t have that movie. if a software install is trying to run in the background, maybe that will cause your audio to stutter ?
you can contact realtek and/or download the lastest audio drivers for your PC here:http://www.realtek.com.tw/contact/

NB google realtek + crackly sound & you’ll find lots of similar problems reported. I had a mdeia centre PC with realtek which had an intermittent sound problem & I never did solve it, except to decide that it plays up whenever the PC gets hot.

anyway DVDfab will not be the cause of the problem, it’s just an innocent software app.

PS on 2nd thoughts, a clean uninstall / reinstall of dvdfab would not go amiss + reset DMA on your Dvd drive - see Stormjumper’s post above for " how to" links".

could be that the problem is occurring after there have been a bunch of read errors on the DVd drive. the above steps should help with that.

check also that your hard drive is not running out of space & defrag it + check you don’t have intensive taks like virus scans running in the background while you are backing up discs.

you could run with task manager open & that will show you if anything wlse is grabbing CPU while the disc copy is in progress.

Thanks for the suggestions! I’m currently working double shifts but will try them asap. I will post any results so that others may benefit if they have similar problems.

Cheers!
-R

[QUOTE=ramarco;2013574]Thanks for the suggestions! I’m currently working double shifts but will try them asap. I will post any results so that others may benefit if they have similar problems.

Cheers!
-R[/QUOTE]

Other users do benefit when members post back with any fixes they find on issues or problems :iagree: good luck my friend :smiley:

Problem solved . . . I think. Here’s what I did:

I used system restore to roll my computer back to a point where the audio problem was present. I played a DVD and confirmed that the crackling sound was there. I then went to Device Manager - IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - Secondary IDE Channel - Properties - Transfer Mode. I found that this setting had been changed to PIO only. I then started DVDFab and went to Common Settings - General and clicked the Reset DMA button. When I went back and checked the Secondary IDE Channel the Transfer Mode setting was changed to Ultra DMA Mode 2. I played a DVD and the crackling sound was gone! I then made a backup copy of the DVD and it worked like a charm. I played the copy and still no crackling sound.

Bottom line: Clicking on the Reset DMA button seems to have fixed the problem. It appears that replacing the main board and DVD drive was never necessary. It’s my own fault but before this problem I didn’t know what purpose the Reset DMA button served. In fact, I don’t recall ever seeing it.

I hope this is the end of the problem for me and I hope that this thread might help others. Thank you all for helping me find a solution.

-R :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=ramarco;2015145]Problem solved . . . I think. Here’s what I did:

I used system restore to roll my computer back to a point where the audio problem was present. I played a DVD and confirmed that the crackling sound was there. I then went to Device Manager - IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - Secondary IDE Channel - Properties - Transfer Mode. I found that this setting had been changed to PIO only. I then started DVDFab and went to Common Settings - General and clicked the Reset DMA button. When I went back and checked the Secondary IDE Channel the Transfer Mode setting was changed to Ultra DMA Mode 2. I played a DVD and the crackling sound was gone! I then made a backup copy of the DVD and it worked like a charm. I played the copy and still no crackling sound.

Bottom line: Clicking on the Reset DMA button seems to have fixed the problem. It appears that replacing the main board and DVD drive was never necessary. It’s my own fault but before this problem I didn’t know what purpose the Reset DMA button served. In fact, I don’t recall ever seeing it.

I hope this is the end of the problem for me and I hope that this thread might help others. Thank you all for helping me find a solution.

-R :)[/QUOTE]

Hey ramarco
Thats great to hear you found the problem,…thanks for posting your finding as it may help other members who run into this issue.
On the brite side new mobo and drive :bigsmile:
what puzzles me though is PIO mode causing this :confused: your drives are they connected with 40 wire IDE cable or 80 wire :confused:
If 40 wire I would replace with 80 wire this helps the transfer rate,… and may stop the crackling sound if the transfer mode reverts back to PIO

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2015151]Hey ramarco
what puzzles me though is PIO mode causing this :confused: your drives are they connected with 40 wire IDE cable or 80 wire :confused:
If 40 wire I would replace with 80 wire this helps the transfer rate,… and may stop the crackling sound if the transfer mode reverts back to PIO[/QUOTE]

Hi SJ
I think that this is a laptop so there should not be any IDE cables for Ramarco to look at. :bigsmile:

Yes, indeed, it is a laptop.

-R :slight_smile: