Cougar Point chip motherboard recalls could cost Intel over $1 billion

vbimport

Cougar Point chip motherboard recalls could cost Intel over $1 billion.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/02/ON4fcO.jpg[/newsimage]Intel, one of the major worldwide suppliers of chipsets used in laptop and desktop computer motherboards, is currently in the midst of a massive recall effort of its 6 Series Chipset, code-named Cougar Point, that could end up costing the corporation upwards of $1 billion.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/cougar-point-chip-motherboard-recalls-could-cost-intel-over-1-billion-40077/](http://www.myce.com/news/cougar-point-chip-motherboard-recalls-could-cost-intel-over-1-billion-40077/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I don’t expect $1 billion in costs will bankrupt or cause Intel to go into the red
as I would imagine they have pretty deep pockets to start with.

Now if it were AMD then I might be worried as $1 billion in losses due to a recall
for them would be a big hit to their pockets. :eek:

With all the money Intel has a price tag of $1 billion for the recall is more than
likely just a drop in the bucket.

I’m not a big fan of anything Intel but they have earned my respect for stepping
up and accepting responsibility for their screw up and not trying to cover it up or
acting like it is someone else’s fault. :clap: :iagree:

You can STILL buy the previous generation 1366/1156 motheboards & chipsets…
Intel really failed to make a credible product in it’s new QUAD CORE SANDY BRIDGE processors & chipsets!! The product(s) stink on ice!!! They didn’t even consider making chips beyond 4 cores, even when AMD released 6 core chips-- how careless. Then they used illogical thinking when pricing the motherboards that have the H(integrated graphics) chipsets higher than the non integrated feature motherboards… Now there are serious design flaws in the chips & chipsets which degrade quality over time (worse than in previous generations of chips & chipsets). Plus a new proprietary socket (1155) and a horse could make a better pile of manure! I think even the e-tailers will take a bath on buying anything sandybridge. This name/chipset/processor combination will go down in history as the worst release of chips since bad lots of pentium 4’s way back when that caught on fire!

[QUOTE=getit29;2575266]I don’t expect $1 billion in costs will bankrupt or cause Intel to go into the red
as I would imagine they have pretty deep pockets to start with.

Now if it were AMD then I might be worried as $1 billion in losses due to a recall
for them would be a big hit to their pockets. :eek:

With all the money Intel has a price tag of $1 billion for the recall is more than
likely just a drop in the bucket.

I’m not a big fan of anything Intel but they have earned my respect for stepping
up and accepting responsibility for their screw up and not trying to cover it up or
acting like it is someone else’s fault. :clap: :iagree:[/QUOTE]

What other choice would they have? It’s not like nobody would notice they’re producing crap. I stopped buying Intel a long time ago. I have built computers for friends who wanted Intel based systems. The people with the AMD systems just seem to get more bang for the buck, and they seem to last longer. Just a personal observation only backed by personal experience.

Just built a system for my brother based on this chipset. Very disappointing to see this. It will mean having to swap the boards over when they have a replacement ready. Also Eb**er (where we purchased the parts from) initially took the boards off their site but now are selling the SAME faulty motherboards with a provisio that their MAY be a fault with them. They should not be selling them at all IMHO.