Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD Review

vbimport

I just posted the article Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD Review.

With a brand new SSD controller from Link_A_Media Devices, the Corsair Neutron GTX SSD stands out from the crowd as being the only SSD to use this controller. But can it compete head on with other state of the art SSDs?

Let’s find out in this review.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/corsair-neutron-gtx-240gb-ssd-review-63881/](http://www.myce.com/review/corsair-neutron-gtx-240gb-ssd-review-63881/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I love the review Wendy, as a matter of fact I really like almost everything Corsair makes, but this SSD at this very moment is a little more expensive than others in this 240gb range. Now the question is does it have enough speed and quality to make the extra money worth it, I say yes. As you know there are other new controllers coming on the market also, I believe these will be introduced at higher prices also, but after reading your review I am more than willing to buy a 240gb GTX. I wish they made a 480 or 512gb. But I think that Corsair has a winner here. Thanks for your efforts.:flower:

Is it typical (for SSD’s) for Read Random Access Times to double between clean and used states?

AS SSD benchmark is picking up 0.036ms access time for clean and 0.070ms access time for used, which is a heavy penalty.

[QUOTE=debro;2655753]Is it typical (for SSD’s) for Read Random Access Times to double between clean and used states?

AS SSD benchmark is picking up 0.036ms access time for clean and 0.070ms access time for used, which is a heavy penalty.

http://www.myce.com/review/corsair-neutron-gtx-240gb-ssd-review-63881/Speed-degradation-after-heavy-use-10/#.UF0WklGoNvC[/QUOTE]Yes they all do it to varying degrees.
Of course this is in the synthetic world. In the real world of desktop computing, there are so few 4K transactions taking place that any slowdown that has happened is not tangible with any of these modern SSDs.

@Dee,

Have you ever put an SSD into a USB3 enclosure? If so, what speeds did you achieve? I’m interested to know if the SSD’s max out the USB3 bandwidth.

I haven’t put an SSD in a USB3 enclosure, but I have tested them in a USB3 dock.

The fastest transfer rate was 430 MB/s with the following setup.

Intel Native USB3 on Z77 with Thermaltake BlacX 5G USB3 dock
Windows 8 which supports UASP over USB3 (supports NCQ over USB3).

The dock/enclosure also needs to support UASP.
If you don’t have UASP support then forget about connecting an SSD via USB3. Without UASP support it’s just a waste of a good SSD, IMO.

Thanks for the info Dee.

Hi Wendy:
I am wondering, this SSD has a new controller not Marvel not Sandforce but LAMD. I do believe the GTX version uses Toshiba Toggle nand. Can this drive be secure erased with Parted magic?

Yep, The Neutron supports Internal Secure Erase, and I’ve already SE’d the review sample. with Parted Magic.

[QUOTE=Dee;2663876]Yep, The Neutron supports Internal Secure Erase, and I’ve already SE’d the review sample. with Parted Magic.[/QUOTE]
Thankyou Wendy, if anyone knew the answer to my question I knew it would be you. I just got the Neutron GTX 480GB for a replacement drive, I am going to use the M4 Crucial 512 as a data drive. Now my only question is , do I overprovision this drive to 1024 when I initalize it?:flower:

I guess you mean align the partition?

In Win7/Win8 connect the Neutron as a “spare” initialize and create the partition as MBR, and quick format the SSD from Win7/Win8. This will align the SSD to 1024. :wink:

That’s all that is required for this SSD.

[QUOTE=Dee;2663886]I guess you mean align the partition?

In Win7/Win8 connect the Neutron as a “spare” initialize and create the partition as MBR, and quick format the SSD from Win7/Win8. This will align the SSD to 1024. :wink:

That’s all that is required for this SSD.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I mean’t. and thank you, I learn more everyday from you, I am trying to keep my mind off this horrible disaster we just went through in my town, my only outlet is building computers. I donated 2 to the rescue effort, they were short of computers at the Red Cross headquarters here. :flower:

Okay it worked. Thanks Wendy.:flower:

I notice that the 240GB version comes in two varieties:

1. 555 / 370 MB/s
    and
  2. 555 / 511 MB/s

The latter has a 20% price premium to boot.
Interesting …