Corsair HXi series PSU

vbimport

I have acquired a Corsair HX750iPSU as payment for building a high end Video production workstation for a friend.

I did not want paid for building and configuring the system, but my friend insisted I took the PSU.

At the moment a 750W PSU is overkill for my system. My Antec 550W PSU is more than enough to power my system, but it is 7 years old and nothing lasts forever.

So, if it were you. Would you keep the Corsair HX750I PSU, or would you sell it?

Depends on individuals circumstances.

If one needs cash (to pay bills or whatever), then sell the PSU. In my case, I would be inclined to sell the PSU as I need to pay off some debts.

If cash is not required, then keep the PSU as a backup/replacement for any existing PSU that may fail.

That Corsair looks like a [I]really [/I]nice PSU.

What’s the noise of your Antec like? IIRC, these particular Corsairs will (can be set to) run without the fan at moderate power loads.

Nothing exceeds like excess. It will give you plenty of breathing room for upgrades down the road and should run cooler because it’s not maxed out. I had to upgrade to a 850 when I picked up a 4870x2 video card and my 750 did not have enough current on any of the 4 separate rails. The 850 has a stable single rail with huge current capability and it runs cool and quiet with everything going full bore.
The 750 should be similar for your box.

@meeshu
Whilst I’m not rich, the bills are taken care of. So I don’t need to sell it, but I also hate waste, and the thought of laying around unused doesn’t appeal to me.

@Ibex
The Antec under normal load is quiet, but under heavy load the fan noise from it is noticeable.

@Dartman
At the moment my system draws less than 300W from the mains plug at full load. The Corsair can also be single or multi rail.

I couldn’t resist taking the shrink wrap off the new PSU and taking a look inside, and at the supplied cables. So the unit is no longer an new unopened package. :slight_smile:

The specs are insane, and massive overkill for me at the moment, although the 12 SATA power connectors could be mostly used. :slight_smile:

I’ve decided to keep the Corsair HX750i, and I’ll fit it sometime over the xmas holidays. I’ll keep the Antec 550W as a spare, as I don’t have a spare PSU.

Although the Corsair is overkill, it is Platinum rated, so up to 93% efficient, which is a big improvement on the Antecs Bronze rating.

Also, the Corsair Link software support will be useful and interesting. I’ll get back to this thread once I have it all fitted.

Anyway, the specs. :slight_smile:

From the fan noise graph the 750i will be silent with your system at full load (12dbA) 330 watts
Or as quiet as a pin dropping
http://www.noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html

[QUOTE=Dee;2784939]
I couldn’t resist taking the shrink wrap off the new PSU and taking a look inside, and at the supplied cables. So the unit is no longer an new unopened package. :slight_smile:

The specs are insane, and massive overkill for me at the moment, although the 12 SATA power connectors could be mostly used. :slight_smile:

I’ve decided to keep the Corsair HX750i, and I’ll fit it sometime over the xmas holidays. I’ll keep the Antec 550W as a spare, as I don’t have a spare PSU.

Although the Corsair is overkill, it is Platinum rated, so up to 93% efficient, which is a big improvement on the Antecs Bronze rating.
[/QUOTE]
An excellent decision. Enjoy playing with you new toy - you’ll love it! :flower:

The efficiency rating can be misleading, as high capacity PSUs are often very inefficient when only drawing the sort of power a typical computer requires. But as your chart shows these Corsairs are still very efficient at a fraction of their full capacity.

Wise move. Install the Corsair and keep your old PS for backup/trouble shooting. I have so many peripherals in my tower too much (1200w) is great for me and just-in-case issues.

[QUOTE=Dee;2784939]@meeshu
Whilst I’m not rich, the bills are taken care of. So I don’t need to sell it, but I also hate waste, and the thought of laying around unused doesn’t appeal to me.

@Ibex
The Antec under normal load is quiet, but under heavy load the fan noise from it is noticeable.

@Dartman
At the moment my system draws less than 300W from the mains plug at full load. The Corsair can also be single or multi rail.

Also, the Corsair Link software support will be useful and interesting. I’ll get back to this thread once I have it all fitted.

Anyway, the specs. :)[/QUOTE]

Hi again everyone.

I fitted the Corsair HX750i on Friday, and have been using it for the last couple of days.

I said I would report back, so here are my impressions of the PSU.

The main components of the system are as follows.

CPU: SkyLake 6700K clocked at 4.6GHz.
Motherboard: Asus Z170 Deluxe
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2x 8GB (16GB) UDIMM clocked at 2800MHz.
Storage: 9X SSDs. 8x SATA and 1X Toshiba OCZ RD400 NVMe 512GB M.2
Graphics: 1x EVGA NVidia GTX1060 SC 6GB GDDR5.

As I said in my previous posts, This PSU is overkill at the moment.
However, the PSU does provide excellent voltage regulation. It’s completely silent, as even at full load, the PSU fan is never required (so far).
It is also very power efficient.

What may surprise you is how power efficient a modern PC is.

Using Corsair’s LINK software, I’m able to monitor and change the settings on the PSU. It is also able to measure how much power is being drawn from the AC power source, and also how much power the PSU is pumping out to the PC, or in fact the power requirements of the PC.

It also provides efficiency figures for the PSU.

Pic1 shows the system at idle.
It shows the PC is using a total of 53W, with the power requirements of the PC at 42W which equals 78% efficiency for the HX750i PSU.

Pic2 shows the requirements with the PC at full load using the AIDA64 system stability test, which is also stressing the GPU and HDDs, as well as the CPU and RAM.
It shows the PC is using a total of 238W, with the power requirements of the PC being 220W, which gives 92% efficiency from the HX750i.

Thank you for the update Dee. Very interesting. :flower:

I thought it would be interesting to remove my overclock and set everything at default speed, and then see how much power the system is using.

Same tests as before using AIDA64 (idle and full load).
For a similar system. I would suggest a high quality 400W to 450W Titanium rated PSU is more than enough if you are not into overclocking.

Pic 1 = system idle.
Pic 2 = system fully loaded.

40W more on the oc system is something that I can live with, but I was supprised by the idle numbers, however if you dont have your pc powered on 24h/365days you (or any one else) should not notice any difference in electricity bill.

PSU have evolved, lets hope that something like that soon will be available in cheaper PSU.

I have two towers setup for me, one mid tower for my sister and all of mine sleep when not busy. Mine has the 850, my old one uses a 750, and so does sisters machine, one of my older AMD quad core.
The old one is my 7 box and new one is 10 with a older Intel 980 hex core server style cpu that cranks.
Everything draws about 3 watts when sleeping and I do lots of stuff on my quad core tablet so don’t have to leave anything running like I used too.

Seriously?
Whats the point in rejecting a recent better psu over a 6yo antique?

You did the right thing by installing this better psu and be happy!

Better power delivery? maybe? Plus if the PSU goes with smoke there is a big change that other components will also follow.

Also someone could be very happy with its system so no need to upgrade? I still use my i5 750 as my daily system, and I have changed two power supplies from the day that I got this system.

No doubt digitally controlled PC PSU’s will get cheaper in time, although a PSU with a firmware makes me a little nervous. The only thing is, when you start making things less expensive, you tend to use cheaper components. So let’s hope that a cheaper digitally controlled PSU doesn’t mean its of poorer quality.

I think that PC technology has evolved, not just the efficiency of the PSU.
SkyLake is built on 14nm technology, and so is the Z170 chipset. So the CPU and chipset consume less power. The Pascal GPU found in the NVidia 1060 is built on a 16nm fabrication process, again using less power than its predecessor.

I think its quite amazing that a PC with such a powerful CPU and GPU, and with 9 storage devices can idle at 32W.

BTW: By removing the overclock, CPU power saving states which are disabled by default when you overclock, could account for the reduced power requirements when the system is at idle.

What I like about newer better psu’s is the fault detection that shuts it down before it smokes something, plus the much greater efficiency and noise level improvements.
All those old 80mm fans were noisy when you had a bunch of them in a tower plus the one in the supply that always seemed to get bad bearings and get even worse. I replaced a few back in the day trying to keep my old ones going.
New box has super quiet 120 and 240 mm fans, most with speed controls, stays cool and quiet with everything set to low speed. I did have to replace a couple and take apart and oil a few of the bearings to get everything working again after this tower sat unused for a few years in buddies spare parts shed.