Corrupt or self deleted?

hello… I really hope someone here has some insight to a frightening problem I just encountered…

I have all my music on a 250GB HD in an external usb case. it’s never had an OS installed on it, just used for portable storage for the past 6 months. so today I tried to listen to one of my favorite albums (in mp3 format), that I have listened to many times before off this HD, havent moved it around, changed any tags, or anything. it starts playing in winamp, and after about a minute the song freezes and then starts skipping. I thought maybe the power on the HD had cut out but the power was fine. I thought maybe the power bar was acting up so I switched it with a bigger better one. I’ve tried copying the file to my desktop… and I get “Data error - cyclic redundancy check”. so I thought maybe the HD was failing, but other tracks play ok, and I can read the full disk no problem, can even read all the tags and advanced properties of the tracks that wont play. and it’s the whole album. but cant change the file name because of “write error”. so I thought maybe the computer was screwed up. reset and all that… then tried the drive on another computer. same thing…

any idea what’s going on? I’m scared to find out how many other albums and files on the HD are like this.

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

For what I know, CRC errors can be due to a damaged cluster. A damaged cluster is not a good thing on a HDD. To exclude the USB interface as responsible of errors, you could try to install that disc internally to a IDE slot on your computer and test the disc with a scandisc or with a specific tool (all HDD manufacturer have similar test tools).