Corrupt master file table

vbimport

Hi

I have 4 hard drives connected to my computer, 2 x 40gig and 2 x 80gig

a couple of days ago 1 of the 80 gig drives wouldn’t work but when I plugged it into a different ribbon cable it would work, I didn’t think much of it, I just thought the ribbon cable was srcewed

now the drive won’t work again it shows up in explorer but when you click it it says “D:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect” I swapped it over with my other 80 gig and it still won’t work and whats even worse is the 80 gig that I swapped it with won’t work either now it says the same as the other onw in explorer

when I run Check Disk it says “corrupt master file table, aborting chkdsk”
Is there anyway for me to fix the master file table on both these drives without losing everything

both drives are NTFS, I’m running WinXP on a P3 1000Mhz with 512Mb Ram

If you need anymore info let me know and I’ll try and find out

Thanks in advance
Stu

This happened to me as well. Using some utilities it seems that I can see the data on my drive. So I wanted to know if you have had success in retreiving your drive. Also,

When did this happen? How did this happen? What were you doing? A possible virus? Please let me know any info and maybe we can fix our drives.

you can email me at mjlfinn@hotmail.com.

Thanks

PimpDaddy, have you only tried those 80gig drives on one IDE channel? Try them on a seperate channel. Try you 40gig on the channel that 80gig are on to see if you can read the 40gig. (example: if the 2x 40gigs are on IDE1 and the 2x80gigs are on IDE2, put the 80gigs on IDE1 and see if they work)

Let me know what you find out.