Corrupt data on MP3 player (not music) - can it be saved?

Eurgh, where do I start… I feel like such an idiot.

I was installing XP on a lady’s machine that I know. She’s not very good with computers and had horrific Win '98.

She had loads of malware problems so a clean install was best. I backed up her photos, Outlook email and addresses and internet favourites onto my MP3 player via USB.

Now, when it came to time to delete the HDD date and format and install XP, I noticed that the HDD was partitioned into 2 parts - the smaller partition was about 1GB. I couldn’t merge the 2 partitions which I thought of as odd but thought I’d just use a software tool to sort it later

I deleted data in both partitions but only formatted the main, large one. It’s only dawned on me now what the smaller 1GB partition must have been - my MP3 player. I thought that it needed to be on Windows for the MP3 player to register as disc drive but it obviously registered in setup mode.

The MP3 player now displays the message “Error! Reformat internal media with SigmaTel formatter”. I obviously don’t want to do that. So, the question basically is: is there any way to recover the lost data? It was about 20MB’s worth.

I really hope that someone can help, I don’t want to let her down. :frowning:

Try Recuva from Microsoft market place, there are some other free recovery (disaster) for files before reinstalling of an OS. Hope this helps.

[quote=groovemeister;1970870]Now, when it came to time to delete the HDD date and format and install XP, I noticed that the HDD was partitioned into 2 parts - the smaller partition was about 1GB. I couldn’t merge the 2 partitions which I thought of as odd but thought I’d just use a software tool to sort it later

I deleted data in both partitions but only formatted the main, large one. It’s only dawned on me now what the smaller 1GB partition must have been - my MP3 player. I thought that it needed to be on Windows for the MP3 player to register as disc drive but it obviously registered in setup mode.

The MP3 player now displays the message “Error! Reformat internal media with SigmaTel formatter”. I obviously don’t want to do that. So, the question basically is: is there any way to recover the lost data? It was about 20MB’s worth.[/quote]Sorry to hear of these problems… are you uncertain what a partition is? It is a separate section of a physical hard drive… your MP3 player should have appeared as a separate drive.

Maybe the smaller partition on the computer drive C: was the ‘Restore’ data which a computer manufacturer would add to allow reinstallation of the original Win 98. I don’t see how the smaller partition of C: could be full of the data which you backed up to the external device by USB.

Not sure; it said that there were 2 separate HDDs but I thought that was because the HDD had been partitioned at the time - but the data’s corrupt either way!

Downloaded Recuva, thanks for the suggestion - but it tells me that ‘The parameter is incorrect’.:sad:

BTW I forgot to mention that when plugged into the PC and I click on it, it tells me to insert a disc into the drive, so it won’t display any contents or lack thereof.