Correct Way to Burn A DVD

vbimport

I have been burning alot of my DVDs from Library that I purchased in the last few months. I recently tried to view some of them and It seems that 1 out of every 5th DVD that I burned Freezes up halfway thru the movie or when I get to the Main Menu the movie will freeze. I bought Clone DVD and ANYDVD sometimes I will use DVD Shrink I will usually Burn it on to the Hard Drive (ISP) then copy to a DVD. Is this the correct way to do. I would like to know before I waste anymore DVD’s

The first thing is to burn on quality media. Most of times this problem is caused by a bad burn.

What is mediacode of your problematic media?

you neglected to provide a lot of relevant information.

you need to make sure your burner has the latest firmware, you’re using quality media, and you’re burning at the rated speed of that media.

don’t use “max” speed settings. This causes trouble with some people.

the problem you (vaguely) described sounds to me like poor media or poor write strategies for that media due to firmware being out of date or burning too quickly or a combination of the three.

if you need more assistance please provide your burner brand and model, the firmware it has on it, what the Media ID (or media code) is on the blank discs you’re using (can be found under the disc info tab of nero cd-dvd speed), and also what speed they are rated at and what speed you are burning at.

although it might not be as relevant here, please always list version numbers when you refer to software programs. This helps us all to make sure we’re on the same page…especially with programs like anydvd that are updated so frequently or clonedvd2 that has a copycat inferior product with the same name.

Could it be DVD - R ?

4.7 GB / 120 MIn

FUGI FILM

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome to the forum Gdot311. :clap:
Beaten to it by geno888.
When you get something intermitent like that it’s usually media.
If you want to check out the way to use your s/w, take a look here.

:doh: I forgot to say that you can retrieve mediacode using cd-dvd speed

@ zebadee: Also reasonsnotrules preceeded you :stuck_out_tongue:

unfortunately this does not tell us much about your media.

we need the rated speed of the media (ie 8x, 16x, etc) and the MEDIA CODE.

the media code or media ID can be found on the disc info tab of nero cd-dvd speed as I stated in my previous post. this is a standalone .exe file that has a few nice little functions. There is nothing to install on your system so no need to be wary. all you have to do is double click the .exe and tell us what the media ID is.

DVD Burner Lite On DVDRW SOHW 832- S

Computer PENT 4 3.20 GHZ

we still need to know what firmware your burner has.

please provide complete information that has been requested. if you do not know how to find the information we’ve requested, just ask.

the firmware can also be found via nero cd-dvd speed

in the drop down menu where you select your drive you will see the drive model. to the right of the drive model should be the firmware revision. you want to check liteon’s product support page to make sure you have the latest firmware for your drive.

DVD-R = disc type others are DVD+R, DVD-/+RW, DVD -/+DL
4.7Gb/120Min = length of time
Fuji = Brand
To get the disc info & not just brand. Download & run a program like DVD Identifier. Get it from here.
If you want to use CD/DVDSpeed, download that from link in my sig.

@ Gdot311,

Usually the cause of this “Freezing” problem is caused by the use of poor quality blank DVD Media or old out of date DVD Burner Firmware or a combination of both.

Suggest viewing the below PC World article concerning the mportance of DVD Burner Firmware.

Suggest visiting the CD Freaks Blank Media Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33) to obtain information on known proven quality DVD Media.

It is wise and prudent to ensure that you have curtailed [B]ALL[/B] Multi-Tasking background operations while attempting to conduct your DVD burning tasks. Also ensure that you don’t have any invasive Anti-Virus and Packet Writing programs running while conducting your DVD burning tasks, which can easily interfere with the proper operation of your DVD burning programs.

To ensure that all background operations are in fact curtailed check that all unnecessary programs are not automatically loaded during Window Startup. To check this suggest viewing the below Web Link that details how to use MSCONFIG to configure Windows Startup to load only necessary items. You will be surprised at all the unnecessary Memory and Resource wasting items that are automatically loaded during Windows Startup. Quite possibility you have some unnecessary item automatically loaded during Windows Startup that you are unaware of that could be interfering with the popper operation of your burning software causing your problem.

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

Best Regards,
bjkg

And with cd-dvd speed you can also see what is firmware installed now

MID: Prodisc FO1

Rate Speeds: 2 X 4X 6 X 8 X

This confirm that is a media problem. Prodisc are not the best media available.

I suggest you to reburn these problematic discs as soon as possible before they become unreadable at all.

What would you recommend

Taiyo yuden if you can find them (mostly in online stores), or verbatim (NOT “pearl white” series).

With your burner you should buy 8x media, because if I’m not wrong your burner is a 8x one, and probably will burn with bad results 16x media.

I suggest changing your media. Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim.
8x is the max speed, latest f/w is DR8VSOM.