Core Temperature Levels

vbimport

Hey All,

I have a query about my PC’s Core Temperature. I have recently installed a rear fan on my computers case, as previously I noticed the case feeling rather warm (not hot) after being on an hour or so. Anyway it was at this time I decided to also give the insides on my PC a good clean.

All this went fine and I also decided to see what the temperature were like inside the case so i downloaded ‘SpeedFan’ and noticed what I consider rather high levels with regard to my CPU and Core Temperatures.

My PC had been on a while so I thought I’d let it cool overnight and investigate this further in the morning. I monitored my temperatures at random intervals after getting my initial temperatures straight after logon.
See the attachment for screenshots of my findings.

I should mention here my PC Spec:
Motherboard: ASUS P52 SE2
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 2.5GHz
RAM: 2x 1GB DDR2 Dual Channel
GPU: Palit Nvidia GeForce GTS 250
not sure on exact model of CPU Cooler but looks similar to: Akasa AK-CCE-7101CP - Intel 775 1156 CPU Cooler

The findings showed that after logon:
CPU: 35 °C
Core 0: 53 °C
Core 1: 53 °C

After 20 Minutes of Game Play (The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind)
CPU: 97 °C
Core 0: 104 °C
Core 1: 103 °C

This remained pretty constant until I quit the game when
CPU: 80 °C
Core 0: 87 °C
Core 1: 87 °C

and then a minute or so after I quit the game the levels fell to:
CPU: 51 °C
Core 0: 65 °C
Core 1: 65 °C

The inside of my case seems fine I’ve even gone so far as to put my hand close to the cpu cooler when the core temp is around 103 °C and it is cool not warm so I don’t know if I should change my CPU cooler, change the thermal compound between the CPU and fan or both?

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thank You

Hi Scorpio,

Those are some really high temps, chances are they are not real as your computer would probably turn off due to thermal protection if they were.

What #'s are you getting in the BIOS under system monitor?

Give RealTemp a try: http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
If you are still getting very high numbers, make sure the Tcase is set to 74C.

If after that you are still very hot, there is a chance the CPU is actually that hot in which case the reason is a bad heatsink mount. You’ll have to take the heatsink off and remount it with fresh thermal paste.

Let us know how you get on.

Both BIOS and RealTemp read the same CPU Temperature as SpeedFan. RealTemp reports my Thermal Status as OK but I’ll take an educated guess at that simply meaning the current temperature is less than 74 degrees C (as 63 degrees C or below being reported at time of running RealTemp).

Looks like I will have to change my CPU Fan and thermal compound.

[QUOTE=Scorpio721;2589250]Both BIOS and RealTemp read the same CPU Temperature as SpeedFan. RealTemp reports my Thermal Status as OK but I’ll take an educated guess at that simply meaning the current temperature is less than 74 degrees C (as 63 degrees C or below being reported at time of running RealTemp).

Looks like I will have to change my CPU Fan and thermal compound.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the heatsink is loose, I am shocked that the computer doesn’t shut down at those temps…
Good luck with the remount, let us know if you have any questions or if it resulted in lower temps. Those Intel push pin things suck.

Just had RealTemp running while I played Morrowind for 5 mins or so and the min reading was 55 degrees C and the max 99 degrees C and that took just 4 mins and 20 secs. (to get from 55C to 99C).

My TCase hasn’t changed from whence I put together this PC about 2 years ago and i don’t know what it is but if I add the current temp with the TJMax from RealTemp then it is 100C!

I assume the heatsink isn’t clogged with dust…
Probably not, otherwise temps would not quickly drop after gaming.
I think you need to remount the heatsink as I stated before, one or more of the pins has probably come loose, you could first see if any of the pins are loose, just push them down like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVVbjSg_iwk&feature=related
Loving the music…

Most likely one of the four posts holding your cpu cooler down is not engaged. You should remove the MB and check that all four pins are engaged. If you want it would be a good time to replace the thermal compound.

Also if one of the pins aren’t engaged you might have to read the instructions on how to reset the pins so that they will lock in place.

I have a similar problem with an Intel Celeron \D 2400MHZ in which CPU rises slowly to 80 C temp and stays there just idling, i.e. no games, no browsing or anything. In my circumstance the cooler did have a lot of dust, the system would randonly restart, and memtest halted when ran and displayed message “Unexpected Interrupt” and “Waiting CPU0.” Would cleaning CPU cooler fix the problem, or could CPU be damaged and need to be replaced? I found a source where I can get a CPU and cooler for $6 each if CPU needs replacing.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2589413]I have a similar problem with an Intel Celeron \D 2400MHZ in which CPU rises slowly to 80 C temp and stays there just idling, i.e. no games, no browsing or anything. In my circumstance the cooler did have a lot of dust, the system would randonly restart, and memtest halted when ran and displayed message “Unexpected Interrupt” and “Waiting CPU0.” Would cleaning CPU cooler fix the problem, or could CPU be damaged and need to be replaced? I found a source where I can get a CPU and cooler for $6 each if CPU needs replacing.[/QUOTE]

Any chance of a picture, I would like to see how much dust we are talking about here. Make sure the CPU fan is spinning.

You should always clean the heatsink fan and the rest of the computer from dust regularly.

If it is really bad, one of the best methods I have found (if you have one) is using a leaf blower. Carefully take the computer outside and place in a debris free area. Then place something sturdy on top to prevent the computer from getting blown over. Next, take the computer’s side panel off and from a distance, use the leaf blower to get all the dust out.

This is a lot faster than other methods and won’t hurt the computer as long as you make sure the air pressure from the the leaf blower isn’t too high. Also, you won’t die from dust inhalation.

If you don’t have a leaf blower, a hair dryer that has one of those “cool” buttons works well. Just make sure you do it outside, you hold the cool button down, and don’t get the displaced dust from the computer clogged in the hair dryer or your girlfriend/wife/daughter will kill you :doh:

It’s not dust as I stated previously I only cleaned the PC out because I was installing a case fan so I know its not that!

As for changing my CPU I’m not there yet, I’m waiting on a replacement CPU cooler with some fresh thermal compound.

This one I’m getting is much faster than the Intel one I have on currently so it should last me and none of those fiddly Intel connectors.

Thanks for your input get back to you when I resolved the issue or need further assistance.

:clap:Thanks

Originally posted by [B]adict2jane[/B]
Any chance of a picture, I would like to see how much dust we are talking about here. Make sure the CPU fan is spinning.

You should always clean the heatsink fan and the rest of the computer from dust regularly.

If it is really bad, one of the best methods I have found (if you have one) is using a leaf blower. Carefully take the computer outside and place in a debris free area. Then place something sturdy on top to prevent the computer from getting blown over. Next, take the computer’s side panel off and from a distance, use the leaf blower to get all the dust out.

This is a lot faster than other methods and won’t hurt the computer as long as you make sure the air pressure from the the leaf blower isn’t too high. Also, you won’t die from dust inhalation.

If you don’t have a leaf blower, a hair dryer that has one of those “cool” buttons works well. Just make sure you do it outside, you hold the cool button down, and don’t get the displaced dust from the computer clogged in the hair dryer or your girlfriend/wife/daughter will kill you

There was quite a bit of dust which I blew off outside using air compressor. Before removing the dust, the fan would initially spin at about 2400 rpm and slowing increase to about 3000 rpm, but CPU temp didn’t drop any. I’ve not reconnected the power yet after removing the dust, but my concern is possible CPU damage since temp doesn’t drop which is different than the OP situation.

If there was a large amount of dust removed from the computer, especially from the CPU heatsink, you should see a big improvement in CPU temps. Don’t worry about high temps killing your CPU (unless you are overclocking with high voltage) over a short period of time.

My new fan and thermal compound ain’t arrived yet but I had a look at the Intel stock Fan and one clip was a little loose so I’ve secured it to see if it was indeed the cause, however RealTemp has only seen a 10C drop to around 42C straight after boot.

On the upside about 20 mins of game play and the temp is only around 50C, so no more sharp rise. However an idle temp of 42C seems a bit too high so I’ll probably use my new fan anyway and use this intel when my new fan goes caput.

Out of interest how does bios get the temperature reading, i.e. was the temperature actually reaching 100C or does the CPU Fan need full/secure contact in order to get an accurate reading?

:cool:Thanks for all your help!

Also (Just had a thought) does anyone know what setting in BIOS, for an ASUS P5Q SE2 Motherboard, that changes the temperature at which the CPU throttles down?

Thanks

I haven’t found how the setting to throttle down CPU.

With my new CPU Fan the CPU Idles around 39C (with the current setting of my fan speed, as running constantly at 5000 is not only unnecessary but very loud.

From looking around 40C is ideal idle temp for my CPU although I couldn’t find this on the Intel site, however the TCase according to Intel is 74.1C, so why my CPU didn’t throttle down I don’t know.

Thanks for ALL your help