CopyToDVD fails to close Dual Lauer +R

Hello everyone,

I have this problem for a long time now.
When I write a Dual Layer movie to a Traxdata 2.4x speed, CopyToDVD has problems with closing the disc.
I mean, the writing goed ok, but at the end something goes wrong.
CopyToDVD reports that it has finished writing, however, the Pioneer DVDR 1.09 (firmware 1.50) keeps writing (led burns) and I can only remove the Dual Layer by resetting the computer.
At first I thought it was a software or hardware problem on my side, however…
I have installed Nero 7 Ultra Edition, and to my big suprise everything goes ok.
Same movie, same brand Dual Layer.
At this moment I only write Dual Layer’s with Nero to prevent coasters.
Does anybody else have the same problem ?
Greetz,

Lenco

Hi there,

If you have firmware v1.50, you are a few versions back.

http://forum.rpc-1.com/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2017

v1.58 is available here --> http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/276689257DVRx09_FW158.exe

Firmware update to version 1.58 (WIN) improves writability on DVD-R DL media and on +R media

When using Dual Layer media, I strongly suggest using the latest firmware on the burner.

Also, what version of CopyToDVD are you using ?

v3.1.2 is the latest, and it installs Patin Couffin v1.35 which fixed several problems…

Then I would retry 1 Dual Layer.

Good Luck !

CopyToDVD is really not suited very well for dual layer media. I would suggest that you use DVD Decrypter with AnyDVD and read and write in iso mode. You can also use DvDFab Decrypter.

:cool: :cool:

In fact if you rip a protected movie with anydvd and clone dvd in iso mode if there are
structural chnges in the output size compared to the origional tha layerbreak will have changed . better to rip in file mode and burn with copytodvd it will automatically set a new layer break for you I would suggest that you update your firmare … ripping in iso mode is ok for a true 1 to 1 copy the only downfall vso has is that it does not bitset
+r discs

DvD Decrypter is by far the best at dual layer burning. When you read in iso mode it will create two files for ya. One will be the iso which is the movie, the second is a mds file. It is the mds file that you want to open when you goto write in iso mode, it is the file that contain the information about the layer break. You will get a true 1:1 copy. DvD Decrypter also allows book typing.

:cool: :cool:

Altough I check the Pioneer often, I totally overlooked the new 1.58 firmware.
Do I feel stupid now !
Software I use:

• AnyDVD 5.8.2.1
  • CopyToDVD 3.1.2
  • DVD2One 2.0.2
  • Nero 7 Ultra Edition

Before writing a Dual Layer I always run the original DVD-9 thru DVD2One and use Full Disc and as output size DL (Dual Layer).
In that case the Layer Breach bit is properly set.
When I however, write the files with CopyToDvd the problem occurs as I described above.
When I use Nero 7 Ultra Edition it write and closes the disc perfectly, no problems at all.
Haven’t tried it with the new firmware (have flashed the drive with 1.58 firmware) but I doubt if it will make a diffrence.
Single Layers, Audio CD’s etc. are no problem with CopyToDVD.
I will keep track of the VSO website and hope this will be fixed in the future.
Until that time I will use Nero 7 Ultra for writing Dual Layers.

Lenco

Based on my limted experience, I would take the following actions under various scenarios:

SCENARIO #1: I want to get a clone of the Dual Layer DVD.

(a) DVDDECRYPTER to ISO Mode with Layer Break untouched.
(b) Write the ISO file using IMGBURN pointing at the (.MDS) file created by DVDDCRYPTER.

Why? IMGBURN is superior at burning Dual Layer than DEVDECRYPTER and is coded by the same person.

SCENARIO #2: I want to delete a few titles but still I have a Dual Layer after trimming.

(a) DECRYPT using Program of Choice.
(b) Use CLONEDVD2 for trimming titles and for stripping Layer Break. You absolutely must delete the Layer Break if the original titles have been trimmed. Alternatively, you can use IFOEDIT to strip off Layer Break(s). Sometimes there are phantom ones. Just deep six one or all Layer Breaks.
© You can use VOBBLANKER for cleaning up the menus, et al.
(d) Burn updated IFO, BUP, and VOB files using COPYTODVD. I believe it will insert the new Layer Break flag, otherwise, don’t use COPYTODVD, IMHO!

SCENARIO #3: Alternative way to do SCENARIO #2:

(a) DECRYPT using Program of Choice.
(b) Use CLONEDVD2 for trimming titles and for stripping Layer Break. You absolutely must delete the Layer Break if the original titles have been trimmed. Alternatively, you can use IFOEDIT to strip off Layer Break(s). Sometimes there are phantom ones. Just deep six one or all Layer Breaks.
© You can use VOBBLANKER for cleaning up the menus, et al.
(d) Creat an ISO file using CLONEDVD2 or IMGTOOL CLASSIC.
(e) Burn using IMGBURN, which will scan the ISO file and insert the Layer Break into the IFO file based on DVD Specifications and an algorithm for where to place the Layer Break (usually at a cell boundry that is a multiple of 16 sectors).

Hi there,

Haven’t tried it with the new firmware (have flashed the drive with 1.58 firmware) but I doubt if it will make a diffrence.

I would try it, as new firmware usually supports new media, like Single Layer 16x, and new Dual Layer media etc…

It’s funny you say I will use Nero until VSO Fixes CopyToDVD, because most post I have read, people are having issues with Nero, and try other software :slight_smile:

I never used CopyToDVD to write a Dual Layer, but I have asked VSO, and they tell me CopyToDVD does the Layer Break properly.

Have you tryed a different brand of media ?
Several people having issues with Dual Layer tryed some Verbatim (Quality Media) and it solved lots of problems.

My 2 cents…

I use VSOs CopytoDVD with DL MKM001 all the time with no problems.

Hi there,

So if I quote myself:

Have you tryed a different brand of media ?
Several people having issues with Dual Layer tryed some Verbatim (Quality Media) and it solved lots of problems.

I guess this might be a good statement after all :clap: