Copying .wav files to DVD disc?

vbimport

I tried the burn mp3 dvd option in Nero but it still doesnt play in my Sony home DVD player. Also I tried the program that you mentioned by CDEX but it doesnt seem user friendly or Im not understanding what options to pick to achieve my desired result?
Are there any other programs that you recommend?
Thanks

CDex is a CD ripper, i.e a program that read an audio CD and convert it into mp3.

To convert a .wav file into mp3 you need a different software. You may use a nero tool named “Wave Editor”.

Simply open your .wav file and select from menu File the command save as.
Select a namefile and a format (mp3 in this case).

From options select the quality of mp3 (bitrate: higher = better quality, but also higher file dimensions, aka a minor number of files onto a disc. Usually a good value is 192 kb).

After this try to burn all mp3 files onto a DVD in ISO format. Better try onto a rewritable (if your standalone is able to read RW discs), to not waste DVDs.

That’s all. Post result if this function: may be useful to other users

CDEX will convert wav to mp3 from the hard drive. Use the convert tab & "convert wav files to compressed audio & then select the folder you want to convert. Easy really.

As you can get 700mb of mp3 files on to a CD, use a CD instead. More chance of all DVD players playing them. This I did suggest in my first post.

I agree to use CD.

Sorry :o :o
I doesn’t know that CDex can also convert wav files from HD

@geno888

No problem.

We all learn new things everyday, that’s one reason we come here. Personally I’ve learnt quite a lot in the months since I joined.
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

me too :bigsmile:

Hey guys its great to be here. This is the best informative site on the web. Period… :clap:
All the help Ive recieved from this forum is greatly appreciated.
Although I agee with the CD idea my entire concept was to get as much info as possible onto a couple of disks. (I mean 15 Gigs of Classroom audio over a two month span ). My TV dvd player made by sony purchased two years ago has played some vcd I converted in the past however this presents quite a challenge, cause I always thought I could cramp a wholelotta info onto a DVD cd and play it. I should’ve saved the 120 bucks to take my wife to dinner, oh well I guess this leaves me with no other option but to do the CD thing thats gonna be a lotta CD’s.

You need to goto http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers and see what your Sony dvd player will really play.

I have my doubts of just copying the .wav files to a DVD and trying to play them, I have never heard of any DVD player that plays .wav. Either MP3 or WMA is all I have seen so far.

Next if you convert the wav to mp3 expect a 10 to 1 ratio in reduction. E.G. a 10 meg wav will reduce to a 1 meg mp3. Do the math and you can see the advantage of using mp3 format.

I tried that program mentioned earlier and just convert one file and see what file size you end up with. That will determine the cd versus dvd media issue.

I’ve never heard of anyone trying this so keep the group informed of your progress!!:cool:

So, now whats a good quality .wav to mp3 conversion that compress the files good without detereing the quality.

I just tried something as I’m curious by nature.

My stand alone dvd player, a Pansonic RP62:

1. will NOT play wav files on a dvd or cd

2. will NOT play mp3 files on a dvd

3. will only play mp3 on a cd.

I think yur stuck with cd’s whether you like or not.

As to wave conversion apps, that will be upto your ear what you think sounds best.

If you ear is very picky, you need a program that encodes MP3 files with the Frenhaufer encoder.

There are a couple out there, I use MusicMatch Jukebox but I don’t even know if it still exists or still uses the Frenhaufer encoder…

WELL, it’s getter more interesting…

I have a Mintek portable dvd player and it plays those mp3’s on a dvd…:iagree:

So, I guess it can be done; just depends on the player…

“just depends on the player.”

Yes! :iagree: It’s as simple as that…

User’s manuals are meant to be read… :wink:

If you are trying to Burn Audio DVD’s you are wasting your time trying to use Wave or Mp3 files because it’s not a recognised DVD-Audio format and the bit rate is different. DVD-Video has multi-channel LPCM audio with a bit rate of 6.144 Mb/s and DVD-Audio has 9.6 Mb/s. Because of that some DVD stand alone players won’t read Mp3 or Wave format from a DVD. You need to convert into DVD-Audio format AC3 to burn it onto a DVD then all players will see it as standard VOB files and then it will play on any stand alone DVD player.

I converted some normal Mp3 and Wave files to AC3 and burnt it onto a DVD and this is what it look like when it’s burnt onto a DVD and all stand alone players will play it because they see it as a sound file that is in a DVD movie. The 2 Video files on the DVD are only just the Menu from were you can select which song you want to play.

So if you have Wave or Mp3 file you can play it on any stand alone DVD player just have to burn it in the correct format.

What do you recommend I download to change the format to AC3 cause I cant find that option in Nero? and also what burning program creates the menu feature to select the file.

Probably each dvd standalone player differ from other, but when I insert a CD containing mp3 files in my player is not necessary make a menu because my player show on screen the list of files contained on the disc.

If I’ve understand, your purpose is to listen your wav files on your TV using a standalone dvd player.
To this in my opinion (repeat, is only an opinion) is sufficient convert your wav files into mp3. If quality is your concern, you can encode at 320kb (the maximum) constant bitrate, no need to make an audio DVD.
In this way, if your dvd plaery is able to read mp3 files (can verify here, as posted by dsdarli) you’ve made all. When insert the disc on the player then should appear a menu to chose which file to play.

But if you want a disc similar to a video DVD, then maybe you need also of a dvd authoring program to make menu, and this complicate your work.
An example of dvd authoring program is here: a bit complicated to use but very complete.

These wav files are just speech I believe so an mp3 @ 128kb would be perfectly adequate, there’s no need to go higher that this. As stated earlier this would give a reduction of at least 10:1 so you’d be looking at 2 or 3 mp3 CDs to hold all your wifes lectures.
I don’t know how Nero does mp3 discs but I know that in Roxio folders can be set up with up to 99 files per folder (or maybe thats what a DVD player will accept) so you should be able to file these lectures quite nicely.
Forget all this talk of DVD-Audio with AC3 etc, it’s just getting unnecessarily complicated.

When I convert the files from WAV to MP3 for some reason the size remains the same. What am I doing wrong??? This is in Nero. Can you please provide a link to some other software. Thanks

Maybe you have not installed the necessary codec. Without a proper codec installed you cannot encode mp3 files.

To see if you have follow this procedure:

1. Open Device manager from control panel
  2. Expand the item Sound, video and game controllers
  3. Double click on Audio codecs (this open a little window)
  4. Click on the tab Properties of the little window
  5. Search an item called mp3 codec

If you don’t have the codec, then can find here a free encoder named LAME

Use CDEX to convert & then use Nero to burn the MP3 discs. Cdex really is so simple to use.