Copying video to DVD

vbimport

when I copy from video to DVD, then place copied DVD into computer to burn, why does burned copy play on my dvd player but not on other peoples. My player is less than 12 months old ( Panasonic ) and I’m using Nero to burn copied dvd discs. I’ve read some info on this site but being new to this copying programs I get confused as I don’t understand computer jargon. How do you slow down the burn process on Nero? I want to share my burned DVDs with other people. I’m 68 yrs. old so have a bit of sympathy in your replies to this old fellow.
Kieth

Yo wiltonkm-

You are not very clear on what you are doing-

Are you trying to copy VHS tapes to DVD discs? or disc to disc?

Please clarify - then we may be able to help-eh

(btw - 68 isn’t old - I’m 67 and it’s great)

Hi Mike. What I’ve done is copy from a vhs tape onto a dvd disc on my tv. Then take the disc and put it into my computer and copy from that. Then place an empty dvd into the computer and burn the disc.
This disc, even though it is finalised, will only play on my tv player as it’s less than 12 months old. The disc will not play on other players that are older than 3 years.
The systems I have used to burn copies are Nero and Ashampoo.
Both do a great job; but why can’t the burned discs play on other machines?
It’s frustrating as I want others to have the DVDs that I’ve burned off?
What’s your advice?
Kieth

First i would recommend copying both the folders VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS of the first dvd to a temporary folder on your computer’s harddisk.
If that works, your files are not copy-protected in any way.

Then i would recommend using that temporary folder in Nero to make a brand new DVD-Video. Make sure the disc is finalised/closed and is written on a low speed (4 speed or something). You can set the speed like here :

If that works, pop this new freshly written dvd-video disc into one of those 3 year old dvd players and test it.

If it tests ok, try higher write speeds for your next discs.

@Mr. Belvedere , The DVD wiltonkm is creating on his standalone won’t have an AUDIO_TS folder. At least none of the standalones I have create one. Mine are all Funai inside but rebadged different brands.
It will have a VIDEO_RM & VIDEO_TS folder.
The VIDEO_RM folder contains the editing information for the standalone it was recorded on.
It is just ignored by other standalones (of different manufacturer) or is supposed to be.
@wiltonkm,
ImgBurn works best for me on this type disc.

1. Rip the disc to the harddrive using Build mode.
  2. Load the whole disc as a folder. You will only see the DVD drive letter on my computer that is D:\ .
  3. Start the build to a named folder you have created for this. When finished the "named"folder will have a .mds & .iso file . (If you have a virtual drive you can mount it & have a look at the folders & files in the .iso but this is not necessary) .
  4. Using Write mode Browse for a file & load the .iso file as source. Write this to Destination ( your burning drive) .
    The new burned disc will have an empty AUDIO_TS folder & VIDEO_RM & VIDEO_TS folders.
    Test in your standalone it should work then try in your friends standalone.
    Additional information:
    My drive allows setting the Booktype to DVD-ROM . Many allow this & your’s might. It should make your burned discs more compatible with other players.
    You need to search & see if your computer dvd burner allows booktype setting .

It won’t hurt to use a quality media like Verbatim ( look for AZO dye on the label) The newer ones use another "cheaper"dye. or use Taiyo Yuden.

[QUOTE=cholla;2565875]@Mr. Belvedere , The DVD wiltonkm is creating on his standalone won’t have an AUDIO_TS folder. At least none of the standalones I have create one. Mine are all Funai inside but rebadged different brands.
It will have a VIDEO_RM & VIDEO_TS folder.
The VIDEO_RM folder contains the editing information for the standalone it was recorded on.
It is just ignored by other standalones (of different manufacturer) or is supposed to be.[/QUOTE] You are right, but i did not want to get too technical as the topic start suggested. On top of that the AUDIO_TS folder might be useful for the 3 year old standalone players he mentioned.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2565906]You are right, but i did not want to get too technical as the topic start suggested. On top of that the AUDIO_TS folder might be useful for the 3 year old standalone players he mentioned.[/QUOTE]
I thought you probably knew. I just wanted to make sure wiltonkm wasn’t confused by not finding an AUDIO_TS folder.
@wiltonkm ,
I didn’t answer the question related to Nero because I only have an old version 6 on my older computer. I haven’t tried it for this.
I don’t have any Ashampo software.