Copying to DVD+R DL

vbimport

Hello all, newie here to the board, but long time DVDFab user!

Anyways, I wanted to ask for opinions. Has anyone used DVDFab to back-up any of their movie collection onto DVD+R DL DVDs? Did it work well? Have to go through many disc to get one to work?

The reason I ask this is because I’ve been using regular DVD+R to back-up my collection, but now I’m wanting to switch to DL disc so I don’t lose any quality, so I will have a nice back-up if my official DVDs were to ever die out out or get scratched.

I know DL can be expensive, so I wanted to get some opinions and reviews on others who use DL discs before I make the switch and shell out $40 for 20 DL DVDs and it not work well.

[QUOTE=DLBeLL1984;2121923]Hello all, newie here to the board, but long time DVDFab user!

Anyways, I wanted to ask for opinions. Has anyone used DVDFab to back-up any of their movie collection onto DVD+R DL DVDs? Did it work well? Have to go through many disc to get one to work?

The reason I ask this is because I’ve been using regular DVD+R to back-up my collection, but now I’m wanting to switch to DL disc so I don’t lose any quality, so I will have a nice back-up if my official DVDs were to ever die out out or get scratched.

I know DL can be expensive, so I wanted to get some opinions and reviews on others who use DL discs before I make the switch and shell out $40 for 20 DL DVDs and it not work well.[/QUOTE]

Suggest that you use Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim (made in Singapore, not India) as most users get the best results from these. Cheap crap will cause you problems.

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;2121927]Suggest that you use Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim (made in Singapore, not India) as most users get the best results from these. Cheap crap will cause you problems.[/QUOTE]

Is there a way I can tell which is which? I was checking these, but I don’t know if they are made in Singapore…

http://www.supermediastore.com/verbatim-95310-dvd-plus-r-double-layer-media-20-pack.html

Doesn’t like like you can tell but from the 53 User Reviews, they look like the real deal.

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;2121939]Doesn’t like like you can tell but from the 53 User Reviews, they look like the real deal.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Yeah, I seen those reviews too and thought they were the ones to use, but wanted to get “real” people’s thoughts, LOL.

Thank you. :smiley:

every time I’ve gotten the Verbatim 3 pack, or 5 pack, they always seem to be the Singapore ones so far, and I have had very good success with them. Not sure if this is the only way to get them or not, just how it’s gone for me.

Verbatim +R DL (MIS…made in singapore) is the only consistently recommended DL media as pointed out above. Sadly, Taiyo Yuden does not manufacture +R DL media. They did produce -R DL media for a short time, but died a quick, ugly death as there was virtually no firmware support and -R DL is not reliable when it comes to video archiving.

Unfortunately the only way to [B]be certain[/B] of getting MIS is to look at the spindle label. Initially, you could tell by the label color or if the verbs were MKM 003 (10X media), but now all bets are off.
There seems to be more MKM 001 (MIS) media out there now. I suspect Verbatim finally started to wise up a bit.

The customer reviews are not wholly reliable, but if folks are saying they’re receiving MIS consistently, it may be worth a shot.
I know newegg reviews tend to name the manufacturer location more frequently than some other online retailers.
It’s always a good idea to check out the cdf bargain basement subforum. CDFreaks tend to stay on top of this and often has a thread re: verb DL media.

As far as the brick and mortar stores…
Sam’s club had a great deal a while back…50 pk MKM 001 (MIS) for about $57. I’ve had good luck with Office Max as well. BestBuy has been lousy in my locale, but others have had good luck.

Anyway, good luck…:wink:

so I will have a nice back-up if my official DVDs were to ever die out out or get scratched.

Just a tip, but you play the backup & keep the original safe in storage.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2122084]Just a tip, but you play the backup & keep the original safe in storage.[/QUOTE]

Once I make a back-up yes. That way if the back-up gets scratched or something worse I can always pull out the original and make a new back-up. With the price of DVDs when they first come out, and even months later they tend to be a bit pricey, especially if your on a budget! :stuck_out_tongue:

But again, thanks guys for helping with this. The only main store we have here that sales blank media is Wal Mart, and I’ve never seen Verbatim there. Office Max closed down, and I won’t buy from Best Buy. Last batch of DVD+R I got from them… half came out coasters.

I had a similar problem when I first purchased my LG DVD burner and started to archive my DVD collection.

I purchased TDK DVD+R DL because of TDKs reputation.

I burned six DL DVDs and all six began pixelating/freezing when it got near the layer break.

I then switched (at LGs recommendation) to Verbatim DVD+R DL and have not had any problems since.

But everyone keeps saying that the only reliable DVD+R DL media is Verbatim Made in Singapore.

My three Verbatim purchases have been from Amazon.com and fortunately they were made in Singapore.

I have no local place to physically purchase blank media so I depend upon online stores like Amazon.com. Amazon could not tell me over the phone or via their website the origin of the Verbatim DVD+R DL. So I have no way of knowing whether it was by luck that I got MIS or if Amazon is aware of the Made in India problem with Verbatim.

But does all this mean that the only DL media that will work correctly is Verbatim MIS?

I would love to know of any other reliable DL media in case the Verbatim MIS is not available to me.

Based on my experience, there is not any. Everything else I have tried are platters of coasters.

I have tried Verbatim, MIS & MII, with not a whole lot of problems plus Philips brand Dvd+R DL.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2122249]I have tried Verbatim, MIS & MII, with not a whole lot of problems plus Philips brand Dvd+R DL.[/QUOTE]

One thought: those TDK+R DL were my first venture into DVD DL cloning. I knew nothing about burn speed and, as a result, used the default of “Recommended”. Those six burns all played beautifully until it got close to the layer break. Then it started to freeze/pixelate. Maybe if I had know to slow the speed down to 2.4 I would not have had any problems. Unfortunately, I discarded the rest of those TDKs after I started using Verbatim successfully.

Right now I use a burn speed of 2.4 for the Verbatim DL and 4 for SL (Panasonic DVD-R rated at 8x) and have had clones which play through perfectly on my $70 Panasonic standalone DVD player.

I will keep your Philips suggestion in mind.

[QUOTE=captainvideo;2122231] But does all this mean that the only DL media that will work correctly is Verbatim MIS?
[/QUOTE]
No, it doesn’t, but it does mean Verbatim +R DL (MIS) is the only consistently recommended DL media for video archiving and the only MID to have demonstrated reliability for this purpose amongst most users.

Does this mean you can’t achieve a “decent” burn with other DL MIDs?..well no, of course not…many of us have.
I had pretty darn good success with Ritek D00…got 'em from newegg 2-3 years ago, but can’t find 'em anymore. They transitioned to Ritek D01, which are crap…nevertheless, I achieved some decent burns and they still play.

Would I recommend or purchase these MIDs again…no way.
I have heard rumors that the MII media is improving and folks like beef ^ have had decent results, but as I have a stash of about 175 MKM 001 (MIS), I won’t be trying them anytime soon.

I also use Verbatim’s DL +Rs rated at up to 8X and burn at 6X with no problems at all

[QUOTE=signals;2122238]Based on my experience, there is not any. Everything else I have tried are platters of coasters.[/QUOTE]

I found some HP branded double layer a while back, which I think were made by Taiyo Yuden - only rated at 2.4x but they were excellent both for movies & for Xbox360 backups , with a slow burn via imgburn.

But now they’ve vanished from stock everywhere that I look.

the good news here in the UK though is that Verbatim DL are now much cheaper than they were a few months ago - probably not for long though as the value of sterling is falling fast:-)

Guys, I have another question… maybe someone can help me with. Before I start using the DL disc again, can someone tell if DL disc will play in an Xbox 360? The reason I ask this is because my current DVD player is a cheap RCA, and while looking on VideoHelp.com I noticed it doesn’t support DL disc…

[QUOTE=DLBeLL1984;2122539]Guys, I have another question… maybe someone can help me with. Before I start using the DL disc again, can someone tell if DL disc will play in an Xbox 360? The reason I ask this is because my current DVD player is a cheap RCA, and while looking on VideoHelp.com I noticed it doesn’t support DL disc…[/QUOTE]

Hi again,
I don’t have an Xbox, but if I recall correctly you have to do the bkup in [B]clone mode[/B].
Recommend you do a search on the Fab forum right here for Xbox to be sure you’ve got all your i’s dotted and t’s crossed. DL media is way too expensive to experiment with…:wink:

Just out of interest is DLBeLL1984’s backups of high quality to be worth placing on DL discs? or are they compressed backups that wouldn’t necessarily prove worthy of DL discs?

[QUOTE=Scorpio721;2122578]Just out of interest is DLBeLL1984’s backups of high quality to be worth placing on DL discs? or are they compressed backups that wouldn’t necessarily prove worthy of DL discs?[/QUOTE]

If Double layer disc are used then compression is not needed, unless you want compress two movies(part 1 part 2) and put them on one disc.

Of course making sure the part 1 movie end just before the layer break :smiley: like I do :bigsmile: