Copying Times

vbimport

I was just wondering what sort of length times does it take you guys to copy a movie using DVD X Copy Express. I have tried burning a few movies using the demo version and on average it has taken 50 minutes to copy to hard drive and another 50 minutes to burn. Does this seem right??? and if not, what would i need to do to speed it up??. I have a Intel P4 1.4GHz, 256 rd ram and Pioneer A06 DVD burner. Thanks

Make sure your Hard drive and burner are using DMA mode and not PIO.

how do you change your writer and harddrive to PMA mode, and what does this actually do??

Does it affect anything else on your computer??

This way is for XP.

To get your drives into DMA mode you need to right click on “My Computer” and select properties. Next go to the Hardware tab and click the “Device Manager” button. Next scroll down untill you find “IDS ATA/ATAPI Controller”. You will need to click on this to open it up. Inside this you will have probably three things. One says “blah blah blah PCI Bus Master IDE Controller” the others say Primary and Secondary IDE Channel. Double click on either primary or secondary. You will have to do the same for both so it dosn’t matter which one you pick first. Click on the “Advanced Settings” tab. There you will see Device 0 and Device 1. Simply see what is stated under Transfer Mode. If it says “PIO Only” then click on it and change it to “DMA if available”. Now do the same for the other device and then the other channel.

If possible enable DMA over PIO. DMA decreases cpu usuage when reading from the burner or when burning with burner. PIO does not do that. And more important, DMA is faster then PIO! So the chance of bufferunderruns is smaller.

No worries, i will give that a true. What sort of times are you copying movies in though, just as a rough guide for average times.

How do i go about doing this with Windows ME??? thanks

Does anyone know how to do this using ME please??

Originally posted by steelwhorse
Does anyone know how to do this using ME please??

From memory you,

Goto Control Panel. Click on System. Next go to the Hardware tab and click the “Device Manager” button. Next scroll down untill you find “IDS ATA/ATAPI Controller”. You will need to click on this to open it up. Inside this you will have probably three things. One says “blah blah blah PCI Bus Master IDE Controller” the others say Primary and Secondary IDE Channel. Double click on either primary or secondary. You will have to do the same for both so it dosn’t matter which one you pick first. Click on the “Advanced Settings” tab. There you will see Device 0 and Device 1. Simply see what is stated under Transfer Mode. If it says “PIO Only” then click on it and change it to “DMA if available”. Now do the same for the other device and then the other channel.