Copying The Copy Protection?

vbimport

another silly question for all the freaks,

after successfully copying a cd that has copy protection like safedisk, etc, does the copy also have the same copy protection? in other words, is the protection scheme also copied, or will clonecd just totally extract it from the image that is made?

edrip

K, it is my understanding that most protections will attempt to hide data on sectors that are usaully not used so that when the product is ran, that it will search to see if those packets of data are actually there or not. This does not count for all protections but I believe this is the most basic and the best way to discribe how protections work. So to awnser your guestion, Yes, the protection gets copied, because CloneCD just makes sure that all the Bites are copied from one CD to the other. The protection does not keep people from buring the CD, the protection check to see if the CD has the special sectors or what ever it is looking for.

Yes this is true.

(the below Example is for safedisk2 only)

Think of it like this. the program u are running checks the cd for something. lets use “X” as an example.

Now all u need for a working backup is X to be on the cd in the specified location.

The catch ?
X is a certain pattern of bits…this pattern is found by some burners to be hard to write…so he CD can be read ok, but when you write the CD its comes out differently. think of it like a tounge twister. its east to read off the page, but saying it 3x fast is another story.

Hence, only certain cd writers can make a backup of Safedisk2 protection.

the same applies for other protections (to the extent of the protection being copied accross with it.)

Originally posted by EgoDrip
[B]another silly question for all the freaks,

after successfully copying a cd that has copy protection like safedisk, etc, does the copy also have the same copy protection? in other words, is the protection scheme also copied, or will clonecd just totally extract it from the image that is made?

edrip [/B]

In short, the answer to your question is yes. The purpose of clonecd is to make a perfect 1 to 1 duplicate of the original cd and so the copy protection gets copied along with everything else.

For the same reason, it usually isn’t a great idea to use clonecd for copying unprotected audio cds unless they are in excellent condition. If the original has deteriorated because of rough handling or whatever, clonecd will duplicate the problems of the original.

Originally posted by philamber
For the same reason, it usually isn’t a great idea to use clonecd for copying unprotected audio cds unless they are in excellent condition. If the original has deteriorated because of rough handling or whatever, clonecd will duplicate the problems of the original.

I agree with this statement, I wouldn’t use CloneCD either for backing up unprotected cds.

But for the rest of your statement: CloneCD has the option ‘regenerate data sectors’ which is for the situation you describe! With this option, read errors, which occured because of an damaged cd, are corrected when writing back to the backup!

:slight_smile:

thank you for the responses.

here’s my next question then:

i made a copy of a safedisc (v1) protected game. i scanned the copy with clonyxxl and it also told me safedisc was being used. i mounted the image with fantom cd and scanned the virtual cd. safedisc again.

i’ve made copies of two games that, when scanned, clonyxxl reads: BAD SECTORS. i’m not sure what this means exactly. i hear they are usually used as a low-level cd-check, but that confuses me since clony has its own profile for “CD-CHECK” itself. in any event, when i scan the copies i’ve made of these two, clony doesn’t find any bad sectors. instead: “NO/UNKNOWN COPY PROTECTION FOUND”.
when mounting the images, again, no bad sectors.

my question, and pardon me since i’m a newbie: why does a copy protection like safedisc stay on the copy, but the other two have bad sectors which are NOT apparently copied over?

does it have to do with the “fast error skip” option? this was my original question, since one protection seemed to stay and another seemed to be “corrected” and therefore gone.

thanks,
egodrip

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G

But for the rest of your statement: CloneCD has the option ‘regenerate data sectors’ which is for the situation you describe! With this option, read errors, which occured because of an damaged cd, are corrected when writing back to the backup!
:slight_smile:

And I agree with this but you will still get a better result by ripping the audio tracks with exact audio copy in secure mode and then burning them back as a re-mastered cd than you can get by using clonecd’s ‘regenerate data sectors’.:slight_smile:

Eh… some confusion here: the orginal threadstarter is talking about data cds, suddenly we are talking about audio cds… The ‘regenerate data sectors’ option from CloneCD works only with data cds, audio cds have no highlevel errorcorrection mechanism.

Yes that’s right and the only way to have a working copy without protection is to have modified executable which has to be burnt on the cd!

Yes that’s right and the only way to have a working copy without protection is to have modified executable which has to be burnt on the cd!

which is illegal

Yep! Maybe i should have not said it? Sorry!

of course the protection gets copied! this is the principle of cloning: make a perfect read to be able to write a perfect 1:1 backup. this way backups must be read and written like originals, you can’t do a direct copy