Copying Protected Games?

Hi I’m kinda new to writing CD’s and would like ure help :slight_smile:

My CD Writer is a CRW ACER 1610A and I got a 52X CD-ROM as reader.

I also got the Latest verion of NERO and CLONE CD and come from South Africa.

I tried burning: The Sims-Hot Date and Harry Potter but both failed with both Nero and CloneCD…It seems as if It got a proplem reading the CD cuase the % complete stays at 0% for a LONG time…any help?

And one more thing… Are there any limitations I got with my ACER 1610A or should I have bought another writer?

TA for the help :wink:

ok first of all download clony
the games you’re trying to copy are protected with SD2 so try these settings:
Read
Speed 4X
FES (fast error skip) on
FES settings:
error correction software
read retries 3
all other off

To Write
Speed MAX
AWS (amplify weak sectors) on
don’t close last session on
buffer underun protection on
dont repair sub… off
good luck :cool: :cool:

Thanks, will try it out ASAP :slight_smile:

P.S. Really hope it works, otherwise wot the use of a writer except making Data/Audio discs :slight_smile:

And sometimes it can take quite some time before the first few % of a copy protected disc is read.

When you search this forum (don’t have the links at hand) you can find several links to pages where drives are listed and their compatibility with the various copy protections…

Originally posted by Da_Taxman
When you search this forum (don’t have the links at hand) you can find several links to pages where drives are listed and their compatibility with the various copy protections…

Here’s the list where you can find info about drives & SafeDisk2!

Ta for the replies…I’m glad Da_Taxman brought up the LONG wait for the 1st % to show when u copy a protected game…How long does it take normaly? Cuase at 15min and not even 1% I normaly stop it :frowning: should I wait longer?

And is it better to COPY ON THE FLY or use the CDIMAGE on HDD to CD-RW way??

Originally posted by Slither
[B]Ta for the replies…I’m glad Da_Taxman brought up the LONG wait for the 1st % to show when u copy a protected game…How long does it take normaly? Cuase at 15min and not even 1% I normaly stop it :frowning: should I wait longer?

And is it better to COPY ON THE FLY or use the CDIMAGE on HDD to CD-RW way?? [/B]
Just wait longer. Due to (intentional) errors on the disc it sometimes takes long to read the disc. But have you selected Fast Error Skip in CloneCD? If not please do! If it takes a long time to read the disc even with FES enabled try setting the error correction to a different method like none and decrease the read retries.

It’s up to you if you want to use on the fly or first make an image. If your CD-ROM is fast enough to do it on the fly you can use this method. It shouldn’t have a negative effect on the actual burn. But please make sure you have a proper disc. I mean if you’re using a scratched disc and CloneCD picks up errors during on the fly copying it will also be copied to the back-up. Myself, I always go for an image first…

Hey Thanks for all the help :slight_smile:

I succeeded in making a backup copy of The Sims: Hot Date and Harry Potter which is both proteced my SD2. It took 1 hour to complete the cdimage and 5min to write it to cd so it was a long wait but I’m glad it worked.

So to all of the newbies (like myself) plz don’t cancel if the % read indicator stands at 0% for a long time just wait for about an hour and it’ll be finished :slight_smile:

An hour is quite long actually. My Plextor PX-W1210A can read SafeDisc 2 under three, four minutes tops…

Hmmm k I use a Acer 1610A (16x10x40x) as writer but 52x CD-ROM as Reader…or should I use my writer to read asswell?

If the Reading is complete I write the image within 4min to CD.

Wot is the setting u used in CloneCD?

Thanks

I always use my cdr recorder to read cds its faster than most cd roms
use the same settings u used with your cd rom