Copying old VHS tapes to DVD

I have a lot of VHS tapes from my kids growing up that I want to preserve on DVD. Second problem is I have the next generation of Video 8mm tapes that I need to get to DVD also. That camera does not work so I cannot play them at all right now. I do not want to get into all the editing that can be done via PC really. I just want to copy them onto DVD with the least amount of fuss. I read that some use the set top box that can play the VHS and record the DVD’s. Is this done in one step? does it have to be hooked to the TV? I am a bit overwhelmed trying to figure this all out. I just spent $75 just getting ONE VHS tape made into a DVD and making 2 copies. ( this was from the 1960’s so I knew the quality was poor so had a professional do it for me.) This will be prohibitive if I try to do all of my videos this way. Could someone help me with equipment recommendations and maybe even simple step by step directions??? :flower:

I would start with a settop or standalone combo unit.(One with a VCR & DVD recorder.
Do one of the VHS tapes to a DVD disc.See if you like the quality.
If you have a frien with one of these units try theirs.
You might want to use a DVD RW disc to start with for practice.
Then do the final on a DVD + or - R as these will produce some better quality picture.
That would certainly be the easiest.Since you don’t have Macrovison or other encryption to worry about with the home videos.
I haven’t done any of the 8MM conversions so I really don’t know much about doing that.
I know several years ago a box was made that you used your projector & connected to a VCR. I don’t know where one could be found or if the box worked.

Since your VHS tapes have no copy protection on them, the easiest method would be to get a combination machine with both VHS and DVD built in.

Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882116136&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r--DVD+Recorder--Toshiba-_-82116136 Not necessarily this particular one, just using it as an example. The process is fairly simple and the instructions in the manual should be sufficient to get you started. I don’t believe it has to be hooked up to a tv to transfer from one format to the other.

The 8mm tapes are beyond my experience I’m afraid. These are 8mm camcorder tape? If so, you’ll need something to play them and hook into the dvd recorder.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2497300]Since your VHS tapes have no copy protection on them, the easiest method would be to get a combination machine with both VHS and DVD built in.

The 8mm tapes are beyond my experience I’m afraid. These are 8mm camcorder tape? If so, you’ll need something to play them and hook into the dvd recorder.[/QUOTE]

Yes the 8mm tapes are camcorder video tapes. Anyone know of a player for this or do I have to find a working camera?

Looks like me & Kerry56 are on the same page on this one.
The box I saw was for 8MM film.

Thanks Kerry56 and Cholla! I appreciate your help! I will look for a standalone unit as you suggested. If anyone has further recommendations, I am soaking it all up! Also still need something to play the camcorder video 8mm tapes to be able to put on DVD.

I did some googling & Sony makes a Hi8 VCR.That is one of the 3 types of 8MM tape I found .If that is what you have then one of these would be necessary or a camera you could play them from.
These VCR’s are expensive.Hope that helps

For the 8MM stuff, you might look to e-Bay for a player. Use it and then resell it and you shouldn’t be out too much.

Or instead of going to the expense of buying a standalone vhs/dvd player just to do your tapes you could look for one of these units from Newegg, Mertiline or Tiger Direct which would be a lot cheaper, I got mine for $29 but it went up so if you wait awhile you will see good deals on these units http://www.meritline.com/mygica-igrabber-usb-2point0-video-capture-for-mac---p-38254.aspx maybe you could borrow a 8mm camera from somebody just to get your tapes copied, Just a thought here that you might consider

I bought a Roxio capture device similar to the one Jimbo has it was not compatable with Vista & I never got it to work correctly.
Member beef barlet posted this one worked for him:
http://www.adstech.com/products/USBAV-191-EF/intro/USBAV_191_intro.asp?pid=USBAV-192-EF
I have considered buy this one but haven’t yet.
If you post the exact type 8MM tape you also have maybe a player could be found.
I like olyteddy’s suggestion of trying a used one form e-bay.Once a correct model is determined by the tape type.