Copying old tv show tapes to DVD (Toshiba D-VR650 - DVD recorder/ VCR combo)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Toshiba D-VR650 - DVD recorder/ VCR combo. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I am trying to burn some old tapes that I recorded of tv shows from 1996 and 1997 on to DVD. The first few worked fine and now it says “the Video signal has changed cannot record.” I can record to tape but not DVD. I am using the D-VR650. A friend of mine who has worked with tapes from around this time said that she heard that they there was something they did to the signal that is causing this problem. Anyone know how it can be fixed? At the moment I am capturing onto the computer and then burning onto DVD but I am looking for an easier solution. Thanks.

Hi BaPW and Welcome:

Just to confirm:

At the moment I am capturing onto the computer and then burning onto DVD but I am looking for an easier solution.

Are you saying you can capture the video/audio to a capture card. If it’s working, why not accept that as your solution?

If you think the tapes are protected, the Grex might meet your needs but it retails for $89. The Grex website indicates it [U]could[/U] work with your unit (DVD/VCR combo unit) but you might want to contact their tech support to confirm this will work with their “General Case” connections.

If you can buy it from a brick & mortar store with a no penalty return policy, you get to play with it to confirm it works. You have to decide if it is worth your time and money.

http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html

[QUOTE=jeff53404;2124713]Hi BaPW and Welcome:

Just to confirm:

Are you saying you can capture the video/audio to a capture card. If it’s working, why not accept that as your solution?

If you think the tapes are protected, the Grex might meet your needs but it retails for $89. The Grex website indicates it [U]could[/U] work with your unit (DVD/VCR combo unit) but you might want to contact their tech support to confirm this will work with their “General Case” connections.

If you can buy it from a brick & mortar store with a no penalty return policy, you get to play with it to confirm it works. You have to decide if it is worth your time and money.

http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html[/QUOTE]

The reason I am looking for an easier solution is because of the number of tapes involved. If there is an easier solution that would save time and effort then I am just looking for it. It just takes longer going through the computer.

IF they are home movies with no copy protection, and you do not want to do any editing or modifying of the video, then a stand alone dvd recorder or dvd recorder/vcr combo would be the easiest approach. Be aware that if they are old tapes and are not in the best shape, some recorders may mistakenly think there is copy protection and refuse to record. The grex unit that jeff53404 mentioned or several other units ranging from maybe 40$ to several hundred dollars typically takes care of that if you have problems. If it is home movies though, I wouldn’t worry about the extra unit unless you run into problems. Just be aware of it in case you do have problems, so you know whats going on.