Copying Movie DVD's to a NAS

vbimport

I’m new to this site and I have no doubt this question is probably answered somewhere, but everything I have found on the topic is an older post so am hoping there may be some new/updated information.

What program(s) would you recommend to copy HD DVD Movies to a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device? I have a 6Tb Synology 409+ NAS for storage. My PC of choice is running Windows Vista 64bit. I also have a giga-bit network.

I have dozens of HD DVD movies that I want to copy down to my NAS device before the DVD’s degrade any further.

Hi TheBirdMan and welcome to MyCE! :flower:

The forum you originally posted in is specifically for DVDneXtCopy products so I’ve moved this thread to the main Movie Copy Software forum to enable people to respond.

Are you looking for software to rip and compress the original discs?

Also are they DVDs, HD DVDs or a mixture of the two as you refer to both above?

[B]Wombler[/B]

Wombler, I have a combination of HD and standard DVD’s to copy to my NAS, but most of the DVD’s I have are HD. I would assume that if a program can handle coping an HD DVD it can also handle a standard DVD.

When you say “rip” are you saying one wants to take a DVD and make another DVD copy? If so, the answer is NO. I only want to copy them to my NAS device for use on my network.

Compression would be great if there is a way to still keep the picture at 1080i/p and the sound at Dolby Digital/THX/Circle Surround quality.

Ripping is the process of removing the copy protection and copying the files to hard disk.

If you want to retain original quality then all you need to do is rip the discs and copy the files to the NAS.

Some people prefer storing disc images on their NAS as there’s only one file per disc and you can store all your films in one folder but it’s down to personal preference.

I’m not too familiar with HD DVD but if you want a program that rips and compresses all in one then I’d suggest you check out the trial version of DVDFab.

DVDFab will rip HD DVD and rip and compress Blu-ray but I’m not sure if it compresses HD DVD or not.

Try it though and see how you get on.

If you’re prepared to do things in multiple stages with multiple programs though then there are plenty of other good programs to recommend.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I believe DVDFab is for standard DVD’s and another product they list is for Blue-ray DVD’s. I think (anyone??) a Blue-ray DVD is an HD format, but very different in how the data is written and encrypted compared to a non Blue-ray DVD.

I looked at both products at dvdfab.net and neither one of the products mentioned HD or High Definition. Do you or anyone else out there know if this software handles HD properly?

Does anyone else recommend another product other than DVDFab?

I do believe that AnyDVD HD is able to handle the HD DVD so maybe check that program out s it is pretty reliable as well just like DVDFab

[QUOTE=TheBirdMan;2505895]I believe DVDFab is for standard DVD’s and another product they list is for Blue-ray DVD’s. I think (anyone??) a Blue-ray DVD is an HD format, but very different in how the data is written and encrypted compared to a non Blue-ray DVD.

I looked at both products at dvdfab.net and neither one of the products mentioned HD or High Definition. Do you or anyone else out there know if this software handles HD properly?

Does anyone else recommend another product other than DVDFab?[/QUOTE]

DVDFab is a single program with multiple functionalities and if you decide to buy the program, you pay for the options you want to enable so it deals with DVD, HD-DVD & Blu-ray.

You don’t need to buy the software to test it so as I suggested earlier download the free trial from here and see how you get on.

Even if you decide not to buy any of the additional functionality the freeware component of the program will still rip HD-DVDs which is a function you’ll have to pay for with other software.

[B]Wombler[/B]