Copying Just the bootable Portion

Is it possible to just copy the bootable portion of a CD?

What is it that you want to do?!
You can make bootable cd’s using Nero.

Depends on you cd…
i can be real easy or very tricky…

Here is my situation, We have 2 WinXP CD’s… One is bootable, One is not.

The bootable CD has been badly scratched, It works up till the point of the first reboot, then we need to insert the non-bootable CD to continue building machines. Seems like when it starts reading from the I386 Dir it crashes…

What I want to do, is Simply create a whole new CD with the good boot portion, and the good I386 Dir.

Nero does not give me the option to extract bootable portion only.

:confused:

any help would be greatly appreciated

lets pretend CD “A” is the bootable scratched CD and “B” is the non scratched non bootable.

You can copy everything posible from A, and whatever folder you cannot get from it, copy from B.

Hence you have all the files on you HDD.
Now just burn the files to a CD normally.

Should be a bootable CD with no scratches.

P.S your B cd should be bootable…are you sure you just didnt miss the “press any key to boot from CD” prompt ???

If I simply copy everything from cd “A” to the HD, it will not copy the bootable portion of the CD. CD “B” was made that way origionally. It does not boot, which in the beginning was not a problem when we were doing Upgrades. However without the bootable CD Fresh installs are tedious.

I have tried viewing the ISO with CDMAGE and extracting the boot portion, but MS must have done something tricky with this one. it creates a 5k file.

where If I extract bootable portions that I have created, File size is 1.xx mb

http://www.windowsxp.nu/bootcd/

Originally posted by nuccx2001
[B]Here is my situation, We have 2 WinXP CD’s… One is bootable, One is not.

The bootable CD has been badly scratched, It works up till the point of the first reboot, then we need to insert the non-bootable CD to continue building machines. Seems like when it starts reading from the I386 Dir it crashes…

What I want to do, is Simply create a whole new CD with the good boot portion, and the good I386 Dir.

Nero does not give me the option to extract bootable portion only.

:confused:

any help would be greatly appreciated [/B]