Copying files to USB Hard Drive Causes Reboot

When copying files to my usb hard drive windows crashes and then the system reboots. This also happens sometimes when Im using my flash card reader. Ive tested the usb hard drive on other systems and it works fine. I reinstalled an old hard drive from my system that still had windows on it and the usb drive worked fine. I tried to compare the logs from device manager from the old copy of windows and my current copy and I didnt notice anything really different. The only thing I did find is the listing under ide ata/atapi controllers. Other then that everything else matched. I done complete virus scans, and a few registry scans using tuneup utilities and no problems where found or fixed. I have reinstalled SP2, as well as the device drivers for the motherboard with no luck.
Im using an AMD X2 4800+ on an ECS KN1 Extreme MB, 3gig ram.
If anyone has any ideas what to look for or how to correct this it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

1st you need to set Windows to BSOD rather than rebooting. (system properties - advanced - startup and recovery). You’ll get a BSOD message that will likely steer you towards one driver or another. I’ve seen flaky enclosure chipsets do this sort of thing, but drivers are far more common. Likely suspects are virtual drive drivers, media player drivers for external devices and the like.

Hi, auto reboot is off. I dont get a blue screen the system just restarts. Im using a acomdata 100 gig photon usb hard drive. it works fine on the same system with a different windows installation. Im trying to figure out what driver could be causing the problem

[QUOTE=Jethro32;1963742]Hi, auto reboot is off. I dont get a blue screen the system just restarts. Im using a acomdata 100 gig photon usb hard drive. it works fine on the same system with a different windows installation. Im trying to figure out what driver could be causing the problem[/QUOTE]

That doesn’t sound right. You should be getting a BSOD and error message. Otherwise it’s not really a BSOD, but a restart. That opens a whole new can of worms, hardware worms.

Its got to be a driver conflict because it works fine with my other drive with a an older installation of windows xp. I just cant figure out whats causing the conflict

I also tried booting into safe mode last night and copying files and the same problem occurred.
Is there any program that scan for driver conflicts?

I have the same problem. Sometimes now I do get the blue screen but it flips by so fast I can’t get the error code. Will try again.

It’s not a driver conflict. It’s a problem with ECS KN1 Lite and Extreme models. It’s an issue that’s still unresolved. I have a service ticket open with ECS about it.

http://forums.hexus.net/ecs-care-hexus/79004-kn1-sli-lite-new-build-first-build-problems.html

Hmmm… sounds like Abit’s AN8 series wasn’t the only NF4 motherboard with USB ports that flipped out if you installed an x2 CPU.

I have a ASUS A8N32Sli-Deluxe mobo and it does no such thing, it works like a charm with an X2 CPU. My USB ports work fine.:iagree: How are you doing Tropic.:wink:

That’s the AN832… the AN8 & AN8 Ultra suffer from freezing/BSOD’s during large USB file transfers when a dual-core CPU is installed. The KN8 series rectified this problem. :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, I’m doing very well, my friend. Quit smoking, started drinking a couple pots of coffee a day… go figure.

When Fry’s puts those combo CPU/ECS mobo deals up…please ignore :Z