Copying DVDs for the first time using DVDFab

vbimport

I suspect I am more of a newbie than most of you. My husband handed me 18 DVDs and asked if I could copy them to blank DVDs. They are a audio/video seminar that he wants to take.

I found DVDFab and downloaded the free trial. I was able to copy the first DVD to a place on my HD but can’t burn it to a blank disc. Here are the specifics, in case any of this matters:

The original DVDs are copied and are not original - they are DVD+R. My blank discs are the same. My drive is a DVD±RW drive.

I can copy the source to my HD with DVDFab but then when I try to copy it from the HD to a disc, nothing happens. I am putting in the HD location in the source field and E: as the target, which is my DVD drive. This is where I think I’m missing something…

I know this question has to do with something obvious, but I need help. What am I missing? Thanks for any help!

If this is a backup, all you should have to do is put the disc in your drive & if autoplay pops up, choose open folders to view with Windows Explorer, then Drag *& Drop the AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS files to a folder on the drive of your choice. If Autoplay doesn’t pop up, put the disc in the drive / Start / My Computer / right click on your drive icon & Drag & Drop both files to where you want. Then you can use ImgBurn in Build Mode to burn the VIDEO_TS file. When I say disc, I mean the one you are backing up from.

http://www.imgburn.com/

The source would be the disc & therefore the drive it is in, Target would be where you want to save it before burning.

It’s not a backup. My husband has to give the originals back and use his own copies. I can get it copied to my HDD, but burning it to another DVD from HDD is where I’m running into a wall. From your reply, I’m understanding that DVDFab does not burn to a DVD and that I need to use IMGBURN to get it to a DVD from my HDD folder.

I put the original DVD in my only drive on my computer to get it copied to the HDD. Then I’m putting the blank DVD in the same drive to copy it from my HDD to my blank disc. I guess DVDFab doesn’t do the second part - burning it to a DVD… and that I need IMGBURN for that?

I told you I was a newbie.:confused:

Are these DVD’s copy protected? Have you read the guides?

I don’t know why you don’t use same drive for “Source” and “Target”…IF all you have is one drive.

Just so certain people know, I answered this thread when it was in the Newbie Forum & answered based on the following.

The original DVDs are copied and are not original - they are DVD+R.

DvdFab will indeed do what you want from start to finish, but I will leave that for others to answer. My question is, is the above message true or not true. If it’s true did you try what I suggested?

Yes, it is true. They are copies of the original DVDs, which I don’t have (the originals). There shouldn’t be any copyrights on them at this point.

I did get the files from the disc onto my HD, but can’t get it to burn to a DVD as my copy. I did it all through DVDFab. The audio/video TS files are in a folder on my HD. But when I put the blank DVD in my drive and try to burn it from the HD to my blank, nothing happens… no error message - nothing.

But now I can’t get my DVD drive to open up. Need to reboot to get the blank disk out. grrrr. I’ll be back later. thanks for your help so far!

Why do you need the files on your HDD? Just use the same drive for source and target like i said. After it reads the disc your drive will open and ask for a blank. Simple.

Yes, it should be easy. When I use the same drive (and here’s my problem), it now says "Failed to create directory: E:\Fulldisk 566 DVD 01. I believe it is referring to the source disc.

Now that we have an error message, can someone help? Remember, this disk is a copied version from somewhere else. Thanks.

Post a log. It should be in My Documents/DVDFab/Log …unless you changed it.

There is nothing in the Log File.

I get an error on the original disc - the disc I’m trying to copy from - Failed to create directory: E:\Fulldisc\566 DVD 01\

The file types I have on the original disc are VOB, IFO and BUP. Could that be the problem? I have no idea what files I need or what the file types are. When I burn to a blank disc, which files should I burn - just the video folder??? Or the audio folder too? Seems it needs only the video folder.

Ok, I used Express Burn Plus to burn the files to a disc and it worked just fine. But I must not have gotten all the correct files even though I copied everything in the video folder… because nothing plays when I put that DVD in the drive. I can’t get it to play when I start up Windows Media Player. It plays the original disc that I copied from, but not the copied disc.

But I’m using up my blank DVDs so I want to make sure I get this right.

As a side note, is there any way to erase all files on a DVD+R so that I can use the disc again? I think no. But had to ask.

[QUOTE=Lilia1957;2091581]Ok, I used Express Burn Plus to burn the files to a disc and it worked just fine. But I must not have gotten all the correct files even though I copied everything in the video folder… because nothing plays when I put that DVD in the drive. I can’t get it to play when I start up Windows Media Player. It plays the original disc that I copied from, but not the copied disc.

But I’m using up my blank DVDs so I want to make sure I get this right.

As a side note, is there any way to erase all files on a DVD+R so that I can use the disc again? I think no. But had to ask.[/QUOTE]no and what is express burn? You sure your using DVDFab?

Express Burn is a different software program that burns DVDs.

I just bought the 100 pack of DVD+R at Costco but it doesn’t say if they are dual or single layer. DVDFab defaults to DVD9 and when I try to change it to DVD5, it tells me that I need DVDFab Platinum.
Ok, so y’already know I have the free trial which is supposed to include the Platinum, so why can’t I do DVD5 in case my DVDs are single layer?

[quote=Lilia1957;2091593]Express Burn is a different software program that burns DVDs.

I just bought the 100 pack of DVD+R at Costco but it doesn’t say if they are dual or single layer. DVDFab defaults to DVD9 and when I try to change it to DVD5, it tells me that I need DVDFab Platinum.
Ok, so y’already know I have the free trial which is supposed to include the Platinum, so why can’t I do DVD5 in case my DVDs are single layer?[/quote]
They are single layer, Costco doesnt sell D/L discs. You can use the trial for DVD FAB Platnium and then you have to buy it, if you like it. :wink:

please read the official guide. yes, it seems you may have a simple mistake somewhere and reading the guide will help you get familiar with dvdfab.
http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/

if you still have the seminar dvds, please delete what dvd rips you have already saved. this way to start over and not accidentally use a possible bad rip. [ripping is dvd to hard drive/ burning is hard drive to dvd]

what version of dvdfab are you using? did you download from dvdfab.com? are you using the free decrypter or a trial of dvdfab gold or platinum? there is an updated version available here. it is a beta but please use this version.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-5-0-5-5-beta-out-248264/

if you are using the trials of gold or platinum you can rip and burn with just a few easy clicks, using only dvdfab.

i dont know what, or if, any changes you made in settings, but lets just go and click the default button before we proceed. then make just three changes.

set your write speed to 8x and write type to SAO
http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/SettingsWrite

and the third change is to disable pathplayer
http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/SettingsPathPlayer

if you do have the seminar dvds, 

-- please open dvdfab in full disc mode, insert one of the dvds into your drive

--  using the drop down select your dvd writer as target [not the folder or ISO
 icons, this is why you had failed to create directory]

-- do not make changes to the copying, removing or navigation settings

-- click start and wait for dvdfab to complete task 1, you will then be asked to
 insert blank media and click ok
if you do not have the seminar dvds anymore:

-- please open dvdfab in write mode

-- select your source by navigating to your video_ts folder, using the folder icon

-- select your target by using the drop down

-- click start and the files will be written to disc

also dvdfab does save a partial log even if no burning has taken place. can you please check again for the log.
My Documents/ DVDFab/ Logs

troy

Well, downloading and using the Beta version did the trick!!! I was soooooooo happy when that first disc completed successfully. And when I actually played it, I was even happier! I did make the changes in the settings that you suggested, but I believe it was the v. that made it work.

Thank you [B][I]all[/I][/B] so very much for your help! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Lilia1957;2091845]Well, downloading and using the Beta version did the trick!!! I was soooooooo happy when that first disc completed successfully. And when I actually played it, I was even happier! I did make the changes in the settings that you suggested, but I believe it was the v. that made it work.

Thank you [B][I]all[/I][/B] so very much for your help! :)[/QUOTE]

Everybody loves a happy ending…:cool: