Copying DV tapes to CD?

Can I copy my mini DV tapes to a CD? What do I need to buy to accomplish this task? Can I copy to my D drive on my laptop? Thanks fo your help.

[QUOTE=lostinnh;2271762]Can I copy my mini DV tapes to a CD?[/QUOTE]

I really don’t see any point on trying to copy them on a CD. You better use a DVD media. The quality will be much better and you’ll fit a longer movie duration.

What do I need to buy to accomplish this task?

You have to connect your digital camcorder to your PC. Usually this is done using a firewire card. If your PC/laptop has one you can use it. Else you have to get one. The cost for a PCI internat firewire is less than 20€. If you can connect your camera through a USB connection, you can use this as well. Not all digital cameras support this option though. You better consult the manual of your camera.

Can I copy to my D drive on my laptop?

I’m not sure I understand your question here. Please be more specific…

You’re welcome and welcome to this forum!!! :flower:

I’m not sure myself. All I want to do is copy the tape to a DVD. I wish I knew more of the technical aspects to make this happen.

I’ve just done this for the first time for a friend; if you post the model number of your DV camcorder, then I/we can take you through it step by step.

For me it involved:

• downloading and installing latest USB drivers from Sony
  • downloding and unzipping captureflux (free) capture software (http://www.videohelp.com)
  • connecting the camcorder and capturing the video in real time to an uncompressed AVI file
  • converting the uncompressed AVI to mpeg2 format
  • authoring to DVD with GUI for DVDAuthor

Sláinte

midders

more than likely you will need a firewire card-IEEE 1394-another name for it and proggy like Pinnacle Studio. That is all i use. Very easy to do. Firewire card you need to install into your computer