Copying disks from set-top dvd recorder

A friend recorded some old VHS recordings to DVD using a set-top dvd recorder and the disks play fine in dvd players and on the computer. When I copied the disks using DVDFab they wouldn’t play ind the computer or stand-alone player (no menu appeared) The only way I can get them to work is to do a custom split and tell it to skip menus and just play the disk upon insertion. Is there a way to get the copies with the menus or does anyone know if the menu itself may be the problem?
Thanks,
RT

Maybe someone can give you the instructions for doing this with DVDFab I can’t.
If you will follow the instructions in the following post it will do what you want or it has for some .
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/video_rm-driving-me-nuts-262793/index2.html#post2207048

Post if it works for you.
You might be able to use DVDFab where the instructions use DVDShrink & ImgBurn.I haven’t tried so I can’t say.

Try Full Disc or Clone mode, and [B]disable[/B] PathPlayer in Common Settings.

Just use Imgburn or Nero the disk is not protected. Copy the full DVD.

signals & CCRomeo what you suggest may work for some settop recorded discs but not for all of them.The copy will usually work but have playback problems.
My settops are all rebaged Funai .
In Video Mode these have a VIDEO_RM & VIDEO_TS folder.
WMP especially points to the problem the slider doesn’t advance the video correctly & the menu doesn’t work all the time.
As the OP said no problem with the original but the copies do this.
Do either of you get good results making this type of copy using just DVDFab or ImgBurn?

I think everyone is offering solid advice.
Personally, I would try signals’ suggestion first as it is the simplest method and may work.
As cholla said, the settop recorders do not record in a format that is truly compliant with DVD-ROM structure. It is DVD-VR and contains the folders as described by cholla, ie., VIDEO_RM & VIDEO_TS folders and not VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders.

In my own experience, Fab is able to handle this format only intermittently…probably more often successful than not, but I really haven’t done many.

With any of the Fab failures, I have run the files through Img [I]build mode [/I]and then successfully burned to a disc with Img.

If I can anticipate the next question…I don’t have a clue as to why Fab can handle some recordings and not others.
If I fracture a leg and become incredibly bored at some future date, maybe I’ll try to figure it out…:stuck_out_tongue:

maineman;Only one settop I have uses VR mode & it is optional for -RW .It really uses a different format with the type files below:
.Sys-Reserved-RW-Bitmap.GROW
.SysReservedFile
folder : DVD_RTAV with these files inside:
VR_MANGR.IFO
VR_MOVIE.VRO
Vista doesn’t even see these files or folders on the disc.
The rest use Video mode & that has the VIDEO_RM & VIDEO_TS folders .
I thought ImgBurn alone would make a good copy in Build mode & the copies do OK but still lack some of the FF & RR function & sometimes menu function.

Thanks for the additional info cholla.
I wrongly assumed that dvd recorders pretty much record in VR mode.
I have 2 Liteon 5005 units (one having the burner replaced with a Liteon 1693s) and also a Samsung VR375. They all record in VR format.

I can’t speak to Vista. I’m very happy with XP Pro although I’ve been using win7 beta for a while and my initial impression is pretty favorable.
I’m about due for another build and I suspect I’ll throw in win7.

I did have a couple of files that gave me trouble…two episodes of 24 (s7). When I tried to close the session so a friend could borrow the disc…somehow it buggered up the disc. The 2 sessions would only display as “erased”. No player or recorder would play the disc. All I could do was navigate to the .vob files and play the sessions with VLC.
I tried off and on for a couple of days to rebuild the files to make a playable disc, but never could do it.

Thank goodness for VLC. I can’t remember the last time it failed me.

maineman ;Which of the file sets are most like the VR mode you settops record ?
I have an older PC with Windows 98se on it that has no problem reading the VR mode -RW discs.That’s how I know what’s on them.
Vista just shows them as blank.
When they are finalized they will play in any settop I have.Including a Philips & a Samsung that are just players.
Even VLC sees the disc as blank on the Vista machine but not the 98 machine.
I wish I could figure out why Vista has this problem.I think it is the way Vista reads older UDF but I haven’t confirmed that.

Sorry, I’m pretty beat and I’m not following you. It’s been a long day.
When you said, "[I]Which of the file sets are most like the VR mode you settops record ?[/I]"
Which files sets are you referring to?

maineman;The file sets & folders I am asking about are:
This first set below is what I get when I format a DVD -RW disc in VR mode & record on it.Is this what you get when your settop records in VR mode ?
.Sys-Reserved-RW-Bitmap.GROW
.SysReservedFile
folder : DVD_RTAV with these files inside:
VR_MANGR.IFO
VR_MOVIE.VRO

This second type of files & folders is what I get when I format Video mode & record :
VIDEO_RM folder with the following files : VIDEO_RM.BUP , VIDEO_RM.DAT , VIDEO_RM.IFO
VIDEO_TS folder with the usual .bup ,.ifo & .vob type files

If not one of those what files & folders do you have on a disc recorded on your settop ?

Hi again cholla,

My apologies for being so long getting back to you.

The second type of file structure is what I see with all 3 settop recorders.

Here are 4 screenshots…
1&2 are with a Liteon 5005,
3&4 are with a Samsung DVD-VR575.

…and here are screenshots 5&6 from the VIDEO_RM folders

[quote=cholla;2227159]signals & CCRomeo what you suggest may work for some settop recorded discs but not for all of them.The copy will usually work but have playback problems.
My settops are all rebaged Funai .
In Video Mode these have a VIDEO_RM & VIDEO_TS folder.
WMP especially points to the problem the slider doesn’t advance the video correctly & the menu doesn’t work all the time.
As the OP said no problem with the original but the copies do this.
Do either of you get good results making this type of copy using just DVDFab or ImgBurn?[/quote]I have 2 standalone recorders, one is a rebadged litey 5005 like my good friend maineman’s, the other is an LG. The LG records SAO and requires that you manually finalize the disc, there is no automatic prompt or anything. Both produce DVD-VR format discs which DVDFab reads with no problem and VLC plays them both OK. I never use RWs, and there have been some problems with RWs from some standalones.

[QUOTE=signals;2228417] I never use RWs, and there have been some problems with RWs from some standalones.[/QUOTE]

This is an excellent point and I meant to bring it up
[I]…thanks for watching my back pard.[/I]

The files illustrated above were done on Verbatim +RW discs in order to be consistent with cholla.
I typically record on +R discs and not RWs for the reason that signals mentioned.
I learned this the hard way. My wife experienced some problems with her shows recorded on RWs and life was not easy for me for some time…:eek:

signals;DVDFab doesn’t read this type disc.

maineman;First thanks for going to the extra effort.
The images below are from the DVD -RW Verbatim disc recorded on a settop Presidian 16-163 which is a rebaged Funai sold by Radio Shack. The format mode was - VR .
I only have the free version of IsoBuster but it allowed me to take the images.
A disc formated Video mode looks identical to the one maineman posted & if I read IsoBuster correctly this would be +VR.
I haven’t had any trouble with RWs to speak of.They do eventually wear out.I mostly use them for TV shows I watch once .
Kind of odd Vista can see the disc in IsoBuster but not Windows Explorer.
Or more clearly Vista can’t see the folders & files on the disc but shows it full.

[QUOTE=cholla;2228556]Kind of odd Vista can see the disc in IsoBuster but not Windows Explorer.
Or more clearly Vista can’t see the folders & files on the disc but shows it full.[/QUOTE]Odd indeed.
[I]Curiouser and curiouser[/I]!

I have copied numerous set top discs. I’ve had the best luck with dvd shrink with Any DVD turned off. They tend to give most problems other then Shrink problems.

The images below are what Vista reads in Windows Explorer from the same DVD-RW disc as above in IsoBuster.
Basically full with nothing in it.
The second image is the opened disc.

cholla
Have you made any changes in Administrative Tools[B] -> “Services” ?[/B]
also what was changed prior to you having this issue ? even if it updates do you know ?