Copying bluray to hard drive

vbimport

Help please!!! i am trying to copy (bluray) clash of the titans,sherlock holmes,toy story and toy story 2 to my external hard drive which i use though my media tv box (western didgital) to play my film through my tv. Iam using the latest DVDFAB (Purchased) and latest AnyDVD but i find these films only so far start a few chapters in from the begining and only play that chapter for about 17mins then stops and wont play anything else but that chapter even though the whole film has been copied. Any suggestions
Many Thanks
Bob

What form do you have the blu ray movies in? Are they files (BDMV and Certificate folders), or have you ripped them as image files?

The latest version of AnyDVD HD should be able to rip all these movies successfully. I don’t use DVDFab, but that should hold true for it as well.

You might try converting to a mkv file. You’ll lose original menus and extras, but the main movie should play. It is possible to do this with a free program called BD Rebuilder. Normally BD Rebuilder is used to compress a blu ray movie to fit onto a smaller sized disk, but it can be used to output to a mkv container instead. Here is a very simple guide for doing that in BD Rebuilder: http://adubvideo.net/how-to/convert-blurays-ipad-bd-rebuilder Just use the MKV container, 1920 x 1080, AC3 setting instead of the iPad setting he is using.

If you need help setting up BD Rebuilder, look at the guide in my signature.

You can also make mkv files from blu ray with Handbrake, or Ripbot264 or MakeMKV (no longer free for this). Here are some guides over at videohelp.com that cover this subject: http://www.videohelp.com/guides?searchtext=&tools=&madeby=&formatconversionselect=Blu-ray+to+MKV&howtoselect=%3B&orderby=Date&listall=1&hits=25&archive=0&search=Search+or+List+Guides

What playback software are you using?

iS mkv the best quality for ripping blu-ray?

Ripping is a term used for moving the data from the original disk to the hard drive. You should rip the movie either in file format or as an ISO, then work with it from the hard drive if you want to change the format.

The quality of your end result depends if you want to compress the movie or not. It isn’t a function of what format you put it in. You can take the main movie out of the original blu ray, and put it into an mkv or mp4 file without disturbing the original quality. This mp4 or mkv file will be very big, and if you are simply playing it on a computer, then there is no need to remove it from the original m2ts file from the blu ray Streams folder.

You change formats to fit your playback equipment. Most media streaming boxes, for example, work with mkv or mp4 files, but not the m2ts files found in blu ray. As I said before, there are many tools for this format conversion, like MakeMKV or BD Rebuilder. One I didn’t mention before is called BluRip. It can make the mkv file for you from a ripped blu ray movie, with or without compression, depending on what size output you want.

Compressing the video to smaller sizes will always adversely affect the quality of the film. Whether you can see any degradation is dependent on a lot of different factors, but how much compression you apply is a major one.

Thanks for the advice Kerry56!

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2552727]What form do you have the blu ray movies in? Are they files (BDMV and Certificate folders), or have you ripped them as image files?

The latest version of AnyDVD HD should be able to rip all these movies successfully. I don’t use DVDFab, but that should hold true for it as well.

You might try converting to a mkv file. You’ll lose original menus and extras, but the main movie should play. It is possible to do this with a free program called BD Rebuilder. Normally BD Rebuilder is used to compress a blu ray movie to fit onto a smaller sized disk, but it can be used to output to a mkv container instead. Here is a very simple guide for doing that in BD Rebuilder: http://adubvideo.net/how-to/convert-blurays-ipad-bd-rebuilder Just use the MKV container, 1920 x 1080, AC3 setting instead of the iPad setting he is using.

If you need help setting up BD Rebuilder, look at the guide in my signature.

You can also make mkv files from blu ray with Handbrake, or Ripbot264 or MakeMKV (no longer free for this). Here are some guides over at videohelp.com that cover this subject: http://www.videohelp.com/guides?searchtext=&tools=&madeby=&formatconversionselect=Blu-ray+to+MKV&howtoselect=%3B&orderby=Date&listall=1&hits=25&archive=0&search=Search+or+List+Guides[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your reply
i am using the BDMV file, but im still having problems, let me explain. The bluray film is being done buy either DVDFAB or Anydvd no problem to external hard drive right amount of gigabites ect but when i connect the hard drive to my WD Media hd box to watch film on my TV it only wants to play one chapter of the film,17mins and thats it even though all the m2ts files are showing!!! some bluray no problem others like the ones ive mentioned ive tried so many different ways but im sure its somthing simple im not doing
many thanks
bob

One of the problems you’ll find with Blu ray movies is that some will have the main movie split into several m2ts files and may have multiple playlists. This may be what is causing the WD media player to have issues in playback.

Look through the discussion here at videohelp.com: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/301283-help!-blu-ray-movie-m2ts-files-slpit-into-4-and-not-1

I would probably use a different tool than those discussed in that thread. It is called ClownBD and is a user interface for eac3to and tsMuxeR. It is free to use. It will combine the multiple m2ts files for you and output as a new Blu ray movie (if you choose that selection).
Since you aren’t re-encoding with this tool, the process is relatively quick. You will lose menus and extras if those are important to you.
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Clown_BD

Hi Kerry56
Thanks for all your help so far, i have just downloaded clownbd and I am now suck on the the options box !!! When I click next my computer which I’m running windows 7 does not recognise eac3to please help again as I must be thick!!!
Many thanks
Bob

Not sure I understand the problem. Eac3to is included with the ClownBD download, and if you click Options, you can navigate to the eac3to folder within the ClownBD main folder in order to select the eac3to executable. You can also download it separately and point ClownBD at an outside version of eac3to, but this may cause some problems when ClownBD tries to update itself.

Hi bob again, let me try and explain I downloaded clownbd pressed save and the option screen came upm, went to bottom of page and clicked next but a box came up saying it didn’t recognise the top sours file eac3to and then won’t let me go any further!!!

Bob

Do you have Java installed? It is necessary for ClownBD to run.

Yes I do have java
Bob

I’ll be darned if I can understand what is going on. Go back to the site that I linked to download ClownBD. This time download from the[B] mirror [/B]site. This will give you a zip file containing ClownBD.

Put the zip file in a separate folder and unzip it. Click the executable to start setting up.

hi Kerry bob again ok got clowned all working all I need now please is how to use it in simple English haha
Thanks for your patients and help
Bob

ClownBD is reasonably straight forward. Designate where your blu ray files are on the disk at the top of the first window. Make sure you have selected BD/HD-DVD, since you are removing material from an original blu ray structure.
Set areas for the temp files if you need to, and you can check Options to make sure ClownBD is set up to access eac3to and tsMuxeR properly. Click Next and go to the 2nd window.

The second step merely shows the structure of the original blu ray. Click Next.

Eac3to will now analyze the blu ray movie and bring up the 3rd screen. Its at this point that you can make some choices. You can pick sound streams or subtitle streams you want included. You can select the output you want (complete blu ray structure or separate ts or m2ts files) You can also choose to convert the audio if necessary…usually not if you are making a blu ray again. You can make a blu ray + an ISO of the movie if you want.

If you click Next again, it will start processing the movie.

Remember, ClownBD just lets you select parts you want to keep and brings together separate m2ts files for the main movie. It doesn’t re-encode or compress video at all. It can change audio format, but that’s it. ClownBD is actually a good way to select just the audio out of a blu ray if you ever need to do that…like a concert film.

Hi Kerry56
Just like to thank you for all the help you have given me, it all works perfectly thank you for your patience as well

Cheers

Bobsandy

Glad things are working for you.

By the way, I notice the latest ClownBD has added some functions, specifically for re-encoding a blu ray video to dvd-video. I don’t think I would have chosen Mencoder for this task, since AviSynth and HCenc are freely available, but that’s the author’s decision.