Copying a "flip over" DVD to 1 DVD DL?

Hi all,

I had one of those DVDs that was 2-sided. You know… with a Side A and a Side B that has two different things on it.

I ripped both sides to ISO files, and would like to combine them onto a DVD+R DL.

Maybe make a little menu to pick which one to play. Is that possible?

I do not want to drop money on software. I am on Vista ultimate.

Thanks!

There are many ways of doing this some of which are very much more complicated than others but essentially you’ll need to reauthor the disc.

Check out here for several different methods.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Wow… 16 pages of complicated terminology and tons of different programs. I am looking for a more simple solution… one or two applications (freeware or working evaluation if possible) to use. Any suggestions there?

[QUOTE=fizzter;2280861]Wow… 16 pages of complicated terminology and tons of different programs. I am looking for a more simple solution… one or two applications (freeware or working evaluation if possible) to use. Any suggestions there?[/QUOTE]

Just using DVDShrink… using [B]this guide[/B]http://dvdshrink.info/compilation.php
The guide uses an older version of DVDShrink, but you’ll get the idea…

Oh, and of course, IMGBurn or whichever burning software you’d like to use to burn the finished product to disc…

Yes, this has been my best attempt thus far, however, I wanted to create some sort of menu for the beginning so I could choose which one to play. That isn’t something you can do in DVD Shrink AFAIK.

[QUOTE=fizzter;2280928]Yes, this has been my best attempt thus far, however, I wanted to create some sort of menu for the beginning so I could choose which one to play. That isn’t something you can do in DVD Shrink AFAIK.[/QUOTE]

I missed the menus mention… you coulkd just try DVDStyler to author in the menu…
http://www.dvdstyler.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=53&lang=en

since those files are already on the computer and have no copy protection you can give DVD2One a try it not free and the trial has limitations also so read up on it here on cdfreaks first

He specifically stated that he didn’t want to ‘drop any money on software’…thus why the suggestions for freeware options, DVDShrink and DVDStyler specifically… DVDShrink to join the two sides into a single titleset, then DVDstyler to create functioning menus for the DVDShrink output files… both freewares.

I ended up using DVD Shrink to pull the video from both ISOs and put it into one output folder.

However, it split into multiple VOB files that DVD Styler couldn’t handle. So I used copy /B to merge them. However, DVD Styler still didn’t work because of a screwed up timescale.

I ended up using VOB2MPG to convert each into an MPG, and then DVD Styler was able to work. Hopefully I didn’t lose any quality in this process. :\

[QUOTE=fizzter;2281253]I ended up using DVD Shrink to pull the video from both ISOs and put it into one output folder.

However, it split into multiple VOB files that DVD Styler couldn’t handle. So I used copy /B to merge them. However, DVD Styler still didn’t work because of a screwed up timescale.

I ended up using VOB2MPG to convert each into an MPG, and then DVD Styler was able to work. Hopefully I didn’t lose any quality in this process. :[/QUOTE]

Haven’t used VOB2MPG, but if it also transcodes the video, it would definately hurt PQ when converting… IMO

You can set DVDshrink to not split the output into multiple VOBs… then it would create only one VOB per each side of the flipper…
Then when you open Styler, you drag each VOB as a seperate title… thus having two titles.
Then you can add two buttons on the menus screen, first button with a post command to jump to each respective title… you could also just set the post command for each of the VOBs themselves, probably to jump back to the root menu.

Oh BTW… if you’d rather have a image of each side as the menus button, just drag the title into the menu screen…

I haven’t actually used DVD Styler but it looks interesting.

It’s one of those tasks though can involve a large number of complicated steps depending on how far you want to go.

I assumed the OP wanted to preserve all the original menus and extras which can be done by importing titlesets then editing the original menu graphics and the original menus hence all the techie stuff.

Perhaps I read too much into it though.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2281687]I haven’t actually used DVD Styler but it looks interesting.

It’s one of those tasks though can involve a large number of complicated steps depending on how far you want to go.

I assumed the OP wanted to preserve all the original menus and extras which can be done by importing titlesets then editing the original menu graphics and the original menus hence all the techie stuff.

Perhaps I read too much into it though.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

PGCEdit is as complicated as it can get IMO… thus probably why fizzter asked if there were other, easier methods… visual softwares seem easier for the most part.

But now he definitely has several options to reach his goal with…:wink:

[QUOTE=MBK;2281916]PGCEdit is as complicated as it can get IMO… thus probably why fizzter asked if there were other, easier methods… visual softwares seem easier for the most part.

But now he definitely has several options to reach his goal with…;)[/QUOTE]

PgcEdit is the ultimate structure editor IMO but although it might appear a bit daunting at first it’s actually one of those sorts of programs where you can build up your knowledge incrementally without being entirely thrown in at the deep end.

The new manual is aimed primarily at non-experts and blutach and I have attempted to ensure it’s as easy to understand and as clear as possible (I did the graphics for it and we collaborated on the editing but all the real techie stuff is blutach’s realm).

The latest clean-up features too are very heavily aimed at novices and r0lZ has given priority to ease of use and most importantly to safe defaults and warnings (when it’s not safe).

There are also plenty of very good guides for PgcEdit, the vast majority of which are listed on the PgcEdit Homepage.

BTW keep your eyes peeled for version 9.3 (with some nice additions to the clean-up options). This has been delayed longer than expected due to extensive testing but should be appearing relatively soon.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2281953] PgcEdit is the ultimate structure editor IMO [/QUOTE]There is no disputing that on my part, I agree… but usually I don’t need further structure/IFO editing than I get from IFOEdit or VOBBlanker

[QUOTE=Wombler;2281953]
but although it might appear a bit daunting at first it’s actually one of those sorts of programs where you can build up your knowledge incrementally without being entirely thrown in at the deep end.[/QUOTE]
The usual issue is that most may not have enough of a base knowledge of what the simple terms are… like PGCs, cells, post commands, etc…
then to those, this program is completely too advanced.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2281953]
The new manual is aimed primarily at non-experts and blutach and I have attempted to ensure it’s as easy to understand and as clear as possible (I did the graphics for it and we collaborated on the editing but all the real techie stuff is blutach’s realm).

The latest clean-up features too are very heavily aimed at novices and r0lZ has given priority to ease of use and most importantly to safe defaults and warnings (when it’s not safe).

There are also plenty of very good guides for PgcEdit, the vast majority of which are listed on the PgcEdit Homepage.

BTW keep your eyes peeled for version 9.3 (with some nice additions to the clean-up options). This has been delayed longer than expected due to extensive testing but should be appearing relatively soon.

[B]Wombler[/B] [/QUOTE]

That new guide is indeed a very decent one, kudos to you and the ‘other’:cool: guy…lol (although Les and I have had our head-butting, I do respect his knowledge… just not his manners)

The thing with fizzter’s flipper is that there is probably no original menus to navigate to each side… thus why he probably needs to create his own custom menu… doesn’t get too much easier than DVDStyler’s drag & drop…which can go into even chapter jumping menu creation as well…:wink:

[QUOTE=MBK;2281971]The usual issue is that most may not have enough of a base knowledge of what the simple terms are… like PGCs, cells, post commands, etc… then to those, this program is completely too advanced.[/QUOTE]

Yeah there’s now a Glossary and other useful explanatory material built in to the manual but I agree with you that it’s still a fairly dark art.

The thing with fizzter’s flipper is that there is probably no original menus to navigate to each side… thus why he probably needs to create his own custom menu… doesn’t get too much easier than DVDStyler’s drag & drop…which can go into even chapter jumping menu creation as well…:wink:

That’s another unknown which makes it difficult to categorically know what answer to give the OP and I must admit I have very few genuine flippers (DVD-10s) here as these are all imports here in the UK.

The couple that I do have have Widescreen and 4:3 versions on either side but with different menus and extras on each. Or in other words the two sides behave like independent single layer discs (with the unavailable options on each side throwing up a ‘flip to the other side’ screen).

I appreciate this may not be representative though and you probably have better experience of these yourself.

I suppose it’s all a bit academic these days though as it’s really a dead format having effectively been superceded by DVD-9.

[B]Wombler[/B]

And many are migrating to Bluray as well… as I am… I deal with very few DVDs at all nowadays…
I actaully only get Blurays of my movies… and if I want a DVD format version of that movie, I simply use ConvertXtoDVD or AVStoDVD (for longer movies) to create a DVD out of my Blurays… looks as great as any commercial DVD I would purchase… so, best of both worlds…:wink:

all interesting comments…
It’s a flipper disc. widescreen on both sides, but two versions of the movie. They are independent of each other, with their own menus and such. There isn’t a lot of content in the menus though.

Ideally I would have preserved everything, but that goes into a level of complication I am not willing to get into. So I’ll be going back and doing the simpler re-author way, with styler afterward. I did find the setting to make 1 VOB so I’ll skip that VOB2MPG thing.

Thanks!

I always just make a “Disc One” and a “Disc Two”

Never saw the point in all that complicated mumbo jumbo :slight_smile:

two single layer Taiyo’s, FabPlat, and done
peace,

Buk

“everytime I go in the kitchen, YOU in the kitchen, eatin’ up ALL the food”

[QUOTE=fizzter;2282104]all interesting comments…
It’s a flipper disc. widescreen on both sides, but two versions of the movie. They are independent of each other, with their own menus and such. There isn’t a lot of content in the menus though.

Ideally I would have preserved everything, but that goes into a level of complication I am not willing to get into. So I’ll be going back and doing the simpler re-author way, with styler afterward. I did find the setting to make 1 VOB so I’ll skip that VOB2MPG thing.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

That’s good and glad you got sorted.

The ultimate way of dealing with that would be to import all the titlesets and create new menus based on the old ones but as you say that’s a lot more complicated.

[B]Wombler[/B]