Copying a DVD-R format disk

vbimport

Recently, I purchased the movie “Dreamchild” on DVD from Amazon. On the back of the cover at the very bottom of the insert, this is printed:

“This disk is expected to play back in DVD Video ‘play only’ devices, and may not play in other DVD devices, including recorders and PC drives.”

Because this disk is rare–the title has never had an official DVD release, the manufacturer prints them only as they’re ordered–I would like to backup my one and only copy before it gets wrecked.

My Windows 7 PC doesn’t play, nor does it recognize the disk. VLC doesn’t either. BDDecrypter and ISOBuster reads the disk as blank. A Ray Scanner detects DVDCrypt CSS/CPPM and at least acknowledges there’s data on the disk.

The DVD plays fine on my Phillips standalone player, however.

So, the question, of course, is: Is there a way to duplicate this disk or not?

If you know is this a commercial pressed disc or one written(burned) to a DVD -R ?
I know my Vista can’t read a disc recorded in -VR mode but ISOBuster does see the data on one of these discs.
I would first try DVDFab .If you haven’t ever tried DVDFab you will get a full version for trial.After the trial it will go to the free version unless you purchase it.
So make that your first try to rip this disc & post back the results.

Hi Cholla–

Thanks for the reply. When I use DVDFab, the program gets stuck in an endless disk check loop unless I click ‘Cancel’. ISOBuster reads the disk as blank.

I’m going to try to record it off my DVD player, using the video out to my camcorder. But if it’s like other copy protected disk, I might be out of luck there, too.

I want to lend the movie to friends who haven’t seen it, but because of my inability to duplicate it, I’m hesitant to do so.

This is the Amazon link for where I ordered it:

Note at the bottom of the product description the disclaimer: [I]This product is manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media.
[/I]

Do you have access to a computer with an older OS ? not Vista or Windows 7 .
XP for example. I can read a -VR on my older computer that Vista can’t on the newer computer.
There is a program that is freeware that I use for scratched discs that may work for you . It is h2cdimage . It takes a bit of learning & the read me is in German. I have translated it . For a copy protected DVD you might need to use AnyDVD or DVDFab Passkey . I don’t think yours is as I don’t beleive copy protection can be written to a writeable DVD. Other than password type encryption.
This program rips to a .iso but you can write an .iso to disc easily with ImgBurn.

I do. But it’s a work computer and I’m hesitant to install unauthorized software on a company machine.

Will h2cdimage work in Windows 7?

I don’t know if it will work with Windows 7.
The latest OS I have is Vista.
Give me Here’s a link:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.heise.de/software/download/h2cdimage/39056&ei=MmuyS5OpEY-CNtCYsc4G&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dh2cdimage%2Bdownload%26hl%3Den
The last OS it lists is XP but I have used it several times with VIsta .My Vista is 32 bit.

[QUOTE=spad;2538029]Recently, I purchased the movie “Dreamchild” on DVD from Amazon. On the back of the cover at the very bottom of the insert, this is printed:

“This disk is expected to play back in DVD Video ‘play only’ devices, and may not play in other DVD devices, including recorders and PC drives.”

Because this disk is rare–the title has never had an official DVD release, the manufacturer prints them only as they’re ordered–I would like to backup my one and only copy before it gets wrecked.

My Windows 7 PC doesn’t play, nor does it recognize the disk. VLC doesn’t either. BDDecrypter and ISOBuster reads the disk as blank. A Ray Scanner detects DVDCrypt CSS/CPPM and at least acknowledges there’s data on the disk.

The DVD plays fine on my Phillips standalone player, however.

So, the question, of course, is: Is there a way to duplicate this disk or not?[/QUOTE]

I forgot to follow up on this topic. The Dreamchild DVD prohibits copying through my standalone player’s composite line out. All I get on my camcorder is a blue screen saying as much. As of yet, there is no way to duplicate this disk.

Using a computer you can copy almost anything if you know some tricks…

Just a thought, is there perhaps an autorun file on the disk that prevents it from being read on a PC?

[QUOTE=spad;2555496]I forgot to follow up on this topic. The Dreamchild DVD prohibits copying through my standalone player’s composite line out. All I get on my camcorder is a blue screen saying as much. As of yet, there is no way to duplicate this disk.[/QUOTE]

There is always a way to copy :slight_smile:

For DVD with this kind of protection I have my standalone DVD player connected to a video capture card I installed in my computer :smiley: I have ran across a few DVDs with the same type of protection and had no trouble getting a copy, however using this method you will not have any menu functionality.

[B]SJ[/B]

Wow. It’s been a while since I’ve re-visited this thread. StormJumper, how does one connect a video capture card to a standalone DVD player? If it’s through any of the video outputs of the standalone player, I’m afraid all that will appear in the capture window is a blue screen alerting copy protection.

I’d say my knowledge of disk ripping and copying is above intermediate, but I’ve yet to crack this one. The disk simply will not be recognized by software of any kind. :frowning:

I’ve read some capture cards ignor at least some of the copy protections.
If the disc you try to record through the capture card produces the

[QUOTE=spad;2590052]blue screen alerting copy protection.[/QUOTE].
Then you need to connect a video stabilizer between the output of the Standalone & the input of the capture card . The Dimax Grex is a good one.

SOLVED! The latest generation of DVDFab (8.0.9.8) + DVDFab Passkey (8.0.3.0) will crack this disk format’s protection. I was able to duplicate and rip. However, when ripping, DVDFab detects the VTS files as separate video files. These can be recoded as a single file using something like Roxio DVD Creator. Just import the multiple files as a single movie.

Thanks to all who responded.

[QUOTE=spad;2592497]SOLVED! The latest generation of DVDFab (8.0.9.8) + DVDFab Passkey (8.0.3.0) will crack this disk format’s protection. I was able to duplicate and rip. However, when ripping, DVDFab detects the VTS files as separate video files. These can be recoded as a single file using something like Roxio DVD Creator. Just import the multiple files as a single movie.

Thanks to all who responded.[/QUOTE]

UPDATE: I had inadvertently selected “generic” as the target file type, when I should’ve selected AVI. That’s why DVDFab detected the VTS files as separate. It rips the DVD as one AVI.