Copying 16X DVD using 8X Drive

A lady at work has a 4D ultrasound of her baby burned onto a 16X DVD +R. I have a DELL PC running XP Home with an 8X DVD RW drive. I was able to copy the data from the DVD to my hard drive but am not able to get it to burn onto a DVD. I have tried using Windows to burn it and also DVD Xcopy Platinum.

Is it possible to burn something from a 16X DVD using an 8X drive?

Welcome!

Yes you should be able to burn data from a 16x disc with a 8x drive /at outmost on 8x onto a disc that support such a speed/.

What error message do you get?

Yes, it will burn but at a lower speed not the 16x that was burned at but I would recommend if your drive is max at 8x to slow it down a bit to reduce your chances of getting coaster errors. Is 8x the max for the drive?

Windows will not burn data to a DVD.

You need something like Nero or the free ImgBurn to create a data disk from the files you’ve copied.

Stick with Verbatim media & eother of the above apps & you should be fine.

Disc speed - as 16x - it is just the maximum theoretical speed you can burn such disc.
After you burn it, the speed doesn’t matter at all as the drive you use will “read” it at it’s own pace, and this speed is independent from the first one.
If you can read it you can burn it using any drive, and the important issue will be the disc you will burn the information to - providing the media you use is compatible with the drive and you use the right software you will have no problem.
Just follow TimC advice.

I think it is possible to burn data from 16x disc with a 8x drive… I think it support such a speed…

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=xhinmorillo;2293576]I think it is possible to burn data from 16x disc with a 8x drive… I think it support such a speed…

:)[/QUOTE]

LOL.

And why ressurrect a 2 year old thread?