Copy wma music to mp3 format and take protection of

I have a lot of music that I want to hear on my mp3 player. Problem is, that it is a wma a file and I need mp3. They also have drm protection and I can not copy. Can someone recommend a converter. I am sort of short on cash so I don’t want to pay to much or nothing at all. I am not the smartest person with a computer so make it simple. Thanks hope someone can help

If you’re using Windows Media player version 9 or 10, the tool FairUse4WM will easily unlock your WMA files. It will work on Windows Media player 11 revisions before 11.0.6000.6324, so if you have Windows Media player 11, right-click on the title bar and go into Help -> About Windows Media Player to check the version you’re using. Microsoft made a significant DRM improvement in revision 11.0.6000.6324, which breaks this tool. Another tool worth checking is freeme2, however, I’m unable to confirm whether it works with the newer Windows Media Plyaer revisions. Have a look at the undrm.info website for some info about these two and download links.

If you recently updated Windows Media Player (e.g. version 11.0.6000.6324 or later), the only free alternative I’m aware of is to use a sound recording program (e.g. Audacity) to record from the soundcard as you play each protected song. If you go about this method, be sure to mute all the recording devices on the sound card to prevent background noise being introduced in the recordings. Then carry out a few songs a day depending on your spare time. If you have a large collection (e.g. >500 songs), start with your favourites, as there’s little point in spending time converting songs that you’ll unlikely listen to on your MP3 player. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your help I will try this. I have an 6 year old HP and I am going to have to download MP 11 but will try it. If I have to buy a good tool which one should I purchase? Once again thanks.

If you can, install Windows Media player 10 instead, as version 11 will most likely update the DRM to the latest version which FairUse4WM will not handle.

This link is one you can get it on. :wink:

For a purchasable program, TuneBite is well known for removing DRM protection and can also convert the music to MP3. This software is about €20, so if you have a lot of music, this will save a lot of time with manual conversion if the free tools don’t work.