Copy w/ DVD Shrink; Burn w/ Nero - Problems Playing on DVD Player

BOTTOM LINE: Copied DVDs play on laptop, but not in DVD players. Problem started this week. Same procedure used now as in years past (DVD Shrink/Nero). Some copies may play, but start hours into the movie and have unremoveable subtitles.

I have used DVD Shrink 3.2 for many years with great success and have been using it as such until this week. I have a new laptop (Gateway MC 7801u) with Vista 64, so none of my old programs work anymore. I had to download DVD Shrink, Nero, etc. again in order to be back in business (i.e. backing up my DVDs).
Both programs appear to be working just fine and have in the month that I’ve had my new PC. The problem, which just started this week, is that my copies of DVDs either do not play in either of my 2 DVD players, or they start hours into the movie and play the foreign subtitles (with no means of turning them off). All of the DVD’s files copy (I checked between the original and the copies) and play just fine in my laptop.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I’ve not really seen this specific problem posted anywhere yet.

Are these some of your newer movies? It may be that DVDshrink is not fully able to remove protections from some newer titles.

You could try running them through dvdfab decrypter.

Thanks, but what I’m trying to copy ranges from old-to-new. This was not much of an issue until about a week ago. Whenever DVD Shrink 3.2 would not be able to decrypt the DVD, I would run it through DVD Fab Decrypter 1st, then compress with DVD shrink, and then burn with Nero. I don’t know which Nero it’s actually using. Nero SmartStart was the only icon on my desktop, but then last night I tried working in Nero Burning ROM. In all cases, I tried changing the speed to 4X, but I don’t think anything I tried worked. I thought I’d run task manager during the burn process to see what application is actually running. All I got was the DVD Shrink icon and the % of completion. Nero was not listed as an application or a process that was running.
Prior to using Nero this year, I was using CopyToDVD. When my trial version expired, I tried Burn4Free. That didn’t work either (anymore). It’s as if no matter which burning software I use, discs aren’t burned correctly anymore. If it’s a setting that I may have inadvertently changed on my laptop somewhere, I’ll GLADLY change it back.
Thanks, Orful

Hey Orful. I just posted very same problem as yours today.
I see I have had one reply as a solution. I am waiting on more replys. Hopefully one that will make the Nero do what it should be. I too have been using Shrink & Nero for years with no problems with playback on any dvd player. Only recently I upgraded to Nero 8 as I upgraded my laptop to Vista.I had been previously using Nero 6 with Windows XP with no problems. I still have XP on my desktop with service pack 3. Most times the Nero fails when burning to disc on the desktop. Any movie back up I do through my laptop can only be played on it. Like you state my disc doesn’t play right in my dvd players either. Another issue I have found is when I try to play the movie I have copied on my laptop to my desktop I have no audio on it while using Windows Media Player 11. So I do hope through this forum that we get this issue resolved. Thanks, Derek…

Why not try what BoSox recommended (DVDFab),and If I were you,Id give IMGBurn a try,with some good media like Verbatims or Taiyo Yuden…
As far as no sound in WMP,do you have AC3 filter installed…Or use VLC to play…
If your current methods don’t work ,why not just try other tools/methods…Unless you [I]absolutely[/I] have to do it with Ner0…

Rip/backup to HDD with Fab>Shrink>Imgburn…
Leave Ner0 out of the mix(for now) and see if using IMGburn works for you…
Much easier with Fab platinum…But whatever works ,right?..

Hello Orful did you ever resolve your issue? I am also having an issue playing burned DVD’s on my stand alone DVD player. I use:

• Slysoft AnyDVD
  • DVD Shrink
  • Nero 9
  • media type: Verbatim +R
  • DVD burners: optiarc from Dell and Plextor PX 806SA (both are SATA drives)

These are the same methods I have been using except I got newer Nero and I am using Vista.

I’ve been always 100% successful in burning my movies w/ my older computer. Ever since I got this new one from Dell w/ Windows Vista, I just can’t play it on my DVD player; it plays on my computer though.
I even burned it as slow as 4x. I use to burn in 8x w/ my old computer.

Do you also know anything on DMA or PIO mode?

[QUOTE=ger4ld;2258434]Hello Orful did you ever resolve your issue? I am also having an issue playing burned DVD’s on my stand alone DVD player. I use:

• Slysoft AnyDVD
  • DVD Shrink
  • Nero 9
  • media type: Verbatim +R
  • DVD burners: optiarc from Dell and Plextor PX 806SA (both are SATA drives)

These are the same methods I have been using except I got newer Nero and I am using Vista.

I’ve been always 100% successful in burning my movies w/ my older computer. Ever since I got this new one from Dell w/ Windows Vista, I just can’t play it on my DVD player; it plays on my computer though.
I even burned it as slow as 4x. I use to burn in 8x w/ my old computer.

Do you also know anything on DMA or PIO mode?[/QUOTE]
Why not try Nero Recode instead of Shrink? It’s newer and more refined.

My daughter uses Nero 8 and DVD Shrink with Vista and the dvds play in stand alone dvd players perfect. You might try getting a copy of Nero 8 and try that.

WOW! this thread got woke up twice.