Copy vs. Transcode/Remix

Hi all,

In a previous thread (http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=154346), it was mentioned that you can drag the “Video_Ts folder” from a movie DVD to a local folder on your HD, and then use the “Write Existing Data” in CloneDVD to copy that DVD.

My question is: what does that system do with the encryption? Would AnyDVD still work when copying from a file on your HD to the DVD?

Also, by using that system, do you get any extra advantage? For instance, are you avoiding transcoding/remixing processes, thus preserving the original quality (since the original data has not been “digitally processed”, just copied)?

Thanks,

Roberto

AnyDVD works both ways, no prob. I copy using the second button down ie copy from ripper to burner. The data gets stored on the HDD anyway and then burned.

When you rip to HDD and then use “copy existing data” it is doing essentially the same thing except you are doing it manually and the data stays on your HDD after the burn.

My way, the data goes to a temp folder then gets deleted after the burn. No big advantage to “write existing data” except with certain problem backups.

If you want original quality, and the movie is long, and won’t fit on one DVD blank, you either split the movie (with CloneDVD’s scissors feature) or burn it to a dual layer media blanks if you have a burner that writes dual layer.

Best regards,
Whisperer

@rgpg

The post you were referring to described the method for trying to make a copy of a copy, that was already transcoded and copyright protection removed with AnyDVD.

If you intend to use this method on an original, the method will not work because the file will be too large to fit on a single layer disk.

What you can do is open up AnyDVD, click on default settings, insert the original, wait for the drive light to go out and copy protection removed. Then drag it to a folder of your choice.
What you now have is the original still intact and copy protection removed so you can work with it in any way you please. You can make a full disk backup, create an ISO or have it transcoded to so it fits on a single layer disk using CloneDVD.
It will take a while to copy the entire TS folder, but the transcoding goes much faster when it’s already on the hard disk. This is a nice option to use if you want to experiment on how you would like to create your DVD since the original files always remain in tact for you to work with.

If you only want to make a single layer copy, then just use AnyDVD and CloneDVD by the usual burning method. Having the original Video_TS folder on your hard drive is no advantage in this case.

Some people have CloneDVD automatically delete the files upon completion of burn, I don’t, I keep them there until I know my burned DVD is working properly, this is important should the media you are using fail, in that case you must do the process all over gain with another piece of media (quality only I hope).

Sometimes we use this dragging of the Video_TS folder to the hard drive as a diagnostic tool to rule out that the copying software was not at fault transcoding the files from the DVD device.

@ rgpg,

If might be helpful to explain exactly why you desire to drag and drop the entire Commercial DVD Movie Title VIDEO_TS folder to your hard disk. In most circumstances this is not normally done.

As explained by Forum Members itzbinnice and Whisperer1 this not normally done and takes a longer period of time to do this. Maybe if you could explain exactly why you desire to do this Forum Members would be able to provide a more intelligent answer to your question.

Best Regards,
bjkg

Hi,

I was not actually thinking of doing it, I was just curious as to whether that was a recommended alternative system, and whether there was any advantage in doing that. I think both doubts have been clarified.

Thanks

Roberto

AnyDVD is a Kernel mode driver, it does always work with every program, including Windows Explorer, the copy command from the DOS prompt, or when sharing the protected DVD over the Network(!).
The protection is completely invisible, even for the operationg system itself.
What a beautiful design… :slight_smile: