Copy Protection in TV transmissions? When was Macrovision introduced?

vbimport

I recorded a movie off the TV to a VHS tape (it was not cable, just air) and now when I try to transfer it to my PC I get the “Copy Protected, can not record” message in about 12-minutes. Why?

Also, when was Macrovision first introduced?

Am I correct that VCRs produced prior to the introduction of Macrovision do not have the chip (or whatever it is inside it) which transmits the Macrovision signal to stop the recording (or screw it up)?

I’m learning in small steps (and large amounts of money/“tuition”.

Thanks.

To my knowledge (so this may not be entirely true :slight_smile: ):

The VHS MacroVision copy protection is defined by adding bandwith and distorting the original signal. The tuners and scart of television sets can handle the extra content because their bandwith is much bigger than the tuner and scart of a VHS videorecorder.

Buena Vista (Disney) was one of the first to copy-protect their VHS tapes. You could easily rent a VHS, connect a 2nd recorder in between TV and 1st recorder and copy while you were watching. Not anymore thanks to Disney.

The disabling method of VHS Macrovision copy protection schematic has already been published in numerous electronics magazines. I’m sure your local Radio Schack can sell you a Macrovision remover for a few bucks.