Copy protection hole in Blu-ray and HD DVD movies

I just posted the article Copy protection hole in Blu-ray and HD DVD movies.

We all  know one of the main reasons for the delayed introduction of next generation  optical drives HD-DVD and Blu-ray. It was the copy protection AACS which should  ensure an encrypted...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12064-Copy-protection-hole-in-Blu-ray-and-HD-DVD-movies.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12064-Copy-protection-hole-in-Blu-ray-and-HD-DVD-movies.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

COPPY should be spelt COPY.:B

good news. hopefully the drives will be out soon for pc so we can get some software that will proper copy it. come on dvdjon and olli, you can do it:)!

Fixed :stuck_out_tongue:

Nothing too new, even if the close the screenshoot “hole” somehow the “professioinal” pirate can capture the movie in pure digital form just by hardwaring to input pins of LCD panel (audio probably will be recorded analogue but with given level of quality who cares). As for home users - I bet it will not talke too long untill someone will write some software like Hypershoot or something that takes the images of fullscreen and writes them to let’s ay AVI file and this given AACS itself will not be cracken :slight_smile:

This has been done before. One of the first apps to rip DVDs called dvd2vcd did the same.

I remember when we did this with a small Visual Basic program and with some early PowerDVD version, the small program did push the screenshot and forward scan buttons repeatedly and the whole movie was saved frame by frame. :B

AACS has a “per manufcaturer” and a “per reader” copy protection scheme. They can “disable” a player into newer HD-DVD/BD-DVD so the player itself (or the version “affected by the bug”) cannot play future movies. Anyway it’s just a full load of shit; they are locking down everything…

sounds like a pain in the butt. I mean to keep it in a lossless format (your going to have to compress it in order to make it a mpeg4 again and i would think compressing it into jpg would not be a good thing for quality.) your talking about atleast 1mb per frame and that will add up on your hard drive after 120min’s.

1920x1080x3 = 5,9 MibiBytes. 5,9x30 = 177 MibiBytes. 177x60 = 10 GibiBytes. Uncompressed.

It means 1,2 TeraBytes for 2 hours of show.

I’m sure there will be ways to compress this data on the fly. It doesn’t have to be MPEG. But I’m sure there are ways to reduce the size.

Once the products are mainstream, we will surely see a workaround that is both easy and convenient for blue laser products. The AACS will be defeated. Then, we will read on the Internet where the controls were put in place merely to confound “the casual copier”. And that they never intended to stop a determined “pirate”. Then we will see Hollywood continue to lobby the government and post harrowing losses due to rampant piracy of their digital masters. Yet, they will continue to sell HD discs through every channel possible as though there is no tomorrow. LOL :B
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 07.07.2006 16:53]

Off the top of my head, this should work, given enough space on your hard drive(s) With the jpeg’s you can create an mjpg (remember that old format, anyone?) From mjpg you should be able to convert to mpg, DivX;-) or any other format given a software that can interact with the proper codecs.

With HDTV you are in it for quality and the fact your compressing an image into mjpg which has already been compressed before it reached your tv just to compress again into mpeg4 your going to lose to much quality overall. Also as said before 2terabytes for 1 2 hour movie is not practical.

AACS is easy to beat, just don’t buy any discs with AACS protection.

I love “Holes”!:B

movies are 24fps so it should be 5.0 MB x 24 Which means 1 TB for 100 minute movie just for the video. As a comparison, it only takes 150 GB for a 100 minute DVD resolution uncompressed video.

I really doubt that the computers today can play HDTV AND compress it on the fly. We could just compress DVD into MPG4 in a shorter-than-movie time not too many years ago. For HDTV, you may need super expensive hardware to compress it on the fly, which, is not realistic for most of us, and the quality will not be as good (more like HD from cable) since there is no fine-tuning done. Copy protection is cracked when we can stream the video digitally, not screen-capture, otherwise it’s just better then camcorder method.

I love “Holes”!.. :r lol Umm yeah an uncompressed frame will take way more than 1MB for a blueray movie. To be honest, surprised that no HD rip hasn’t been done already of an actual disc (not the crappy cable channel stuff but of actual discs)… Could make some wild quality dvds with this kind of source…