Copy Protected VHS to DVD

I have a LiteOn DD A100-GX recorder and trying to transfer my VHS tapes to DVD with it. I’ve run into a few tapes though where the LiteOn stops recording after about 30 seconds and says “Protected Content”.

From what I’ve been able to dig up so far about the problem, it’s been suggested to get an MCM Electronics Digital Video Stabilizer 80-4280. I don’t mind the price on it, but the only pictures I’ve seen of it show coaxial input/output, and I need to be able to connect composite connectors in and out.

Will I be able to use the 80-4280? Or is there another option to transfer those tapes to a DVD?

Thanks for any help.

[QUOTE=Henderson;2261774]I have a LiteOn DD A100-GX recorder and trying to transfer my VHS tapes to DVD with it. I’ve run into a few tapes though where the LiteOn stops recording after about 30 seconds and says “Protected Content”.

From what I’ve been able to dig up so far about the problem, it’s been suggested to get an MCM Electronics Digital Video Stabilizer 80-4280. I don’t mind the price on it, but the only pictures I’ve seen of it show coaxial input/output, and I need to be able to connect composite connectors in and out.

Will I be able to use the 80-4280? Or is there another option to transfer those tapes to a DVD?

Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

http://www.dimax.com.ua/grex/grex.shtml

Thanks, that one looks good, but pricier. If possible I’d rather stay under $50 but not if it’s the only option.

I’ve found another image for the 80-4280 that looks like it does have composite connectors, but that site also says it doesn’t work on LiteOns.

I’ve read good things about the SIMA CT2 also, but can’t seem to find anyplace that still sells it.

Does anyone have experience with any of them to say for certain which will work or not?

The stabilizer from MCM Electronics is the one you want. It will only do VHS to DVD not DVD to DVD. These are not coxal connections you see in the picture they are a video (yellow) in and out. I have this unit and it works very well. It runs on a 9v battery so keep a good one on hand. For the price you can’t beat it.

Thanks much, I’ll go with that one then. I only need it for copying VHS tapes to DVD.

The images I saw weren’t yellow but black for the connectors, so was impossible to really tell what they were, so glad to have confirmation on that.

Just remember you’ll need another video cable to hook it up. (yellow)
Glad this info helped you out.

Thanks for the reminder. I have a few extra laying around luckily.

Edit: Was just thinking that it’s too bad there’s not a firmware hack for the LiteOn to bypass the protected VHS tapes, that would be the simplest of all solutions.

The MCM Stabilizer came today, but sadly it doesn’t work for the tapes I’m trying it on. The LiteOn stops recording after a bit still and says “Protected Content”.

The tapes I’ve tried it on are “The Muppet Christmas Carol” and “Arachnophobia”. Are some just more stubborn to copy then others with a different copy protection? I’ll dig through some more old tapes and try a few more, but I’m not expecting any better results really.

Or is there a better stabilizer that will work to let me copy from a VHS tape to a LiteOn DD-A100GX?

I don’t have those VHS tapes but I never had any trouble copying any of my VHS tapes. Double check the hook up and battery. It should be hooked between your VHS player and your DVD recorder. Yellow (video) out on VHS player to the in on the video stabilizer, the out on video stabilizer to the yellow (video) in on your DVD recorder.
If you have a friend that has a DVD recorder see if they will let you try it on their machine.

Found out some bad news. go to this site and check out the stabilizers

http://checkhere22.com

ILO and Lite-On were not on their old listing. It works fine on my Lite-On units.

Check out the other unit they show there. I’ve never used it and know nothing about this unit.

Sorry about the mistake

That’s the site that confused me a bit with its claim that it did not work on LiteOn units. They didn’t state the name/model of the stabilizer, but it did look exactly like the MCM. I was tempted to get their Model 200 at first too :P… guess I will try that one now.

And yes, it is hooked up correctly, and I checked the battery. Also replaced the battery as a double check with a new one and no difference.

And not your fault about it not working for my setup… you gave info I asked for that, that it does work for your setup. Maybe it’s just specific LiteOn units that are more touchy. It’s not like it’s $150 unit I can’t return so not a problem. I’ll let you know how the Model 200 works out when I get it. Going to order it now.

I have Lite-On units. LVW-5005x LVW-5115-GHC And a friend of mine has the 5116 and they all work with this stabilizer. Might be just the newer ones that won’t let it do its thing. I going to see if any of my friends have newer Lite-On units so I can try mine on theirs. I’ll be interested to see if the 200 works for you. It looks like it will. Good Luck

The Model 200 came today, but still no joy… won’t let the LiteOn copy the VHS tapes, it still stops recording with the “Protected Content” message. So I’m down to trying the Grex that was linked above.

My LiteOn recorder is roughly 2 years old, maybe a bit less, not sure if it’s really considered a newer one or not (at least I didn’t consider it newer).

I’m starting to think it might be better to just get a new DVD recorder that the macrovision hack works on that’s posted on these forums, but I really love the DD A100-GX and have had zero problems with it. It records beautifully off the TV and VCR and plays any format or region I throw at it (short of GMC compression for .avis). The recorded DVDs also play on any other DVD player without having to bother finalizing the DVD.

Will see what happens with the Grex when it comes. I really want to get rid of these VHS tapes bad though and the space they take up. :smiley:

Just an update. Got the Dimax Grex the other day and it works like a charm. No problem copying any VHS tapes so far.

Thanks much for all the help. :slight_smile:

Actually http://www.xdimax.com have another cheaper product called DVD RED PRO. It cost only 70$ for now and it’s a replica of grex but withous s-video connections. BTW ot comes without PSU, but it’s cheaper to buy PSU by yourself - it’s a standard 9V DC output PSU,so it’s cheaper than Vietnam prostitute :slight_smile: )