Copy Protect My Own DVD

I have made a dvd of some things I recorded at a graduation and a recital. Some people want a copy so I decided to make a few bucks and sell some. While taking some orders I heard one person say to another that was buying one that they would give them 1/2 of what I was charging them if they could get a copy of the dvd I was selling to this person so they made a deal. I wanted to know a software that would encrypt the dvd to copy protect it so they could not make a copy of my dvd. I know that the movie people put a protection on their movies what type of open source or free software or any software that is available for me. Just to do these home made movies?!

from what ive seen elsewhere its not possible unless you get them professionally pressed then again i may be wrong

Sometimes this “problem” surfaces, to my surprise. The question is irrelevant. What is “coded”, can be “decoded”. Old rule that was proven in history. Read some threads here that will make the picture clear for you.

I have been trying to read the post but it is mainly about people trying to make copies of a copy protected dvd. I have not really found anything that I can use to protect my personal dvd while recording.

I know it can be coded and then decoded if we were talking about people who actually knew what to do. But I know these people will not know how to decode. I know know that they will try and copy it but if the copy protect lock comes up then they will not know what to to but buy another copy from me.

I have said this before in answer to the same question.
If the big corporations can not stop us from copying their products after spending millions on copy protection what hope have you?
Sad but true.

There are already some threads here with your problem tia1971 you’ll find them via our search function which may be helpful. In your case protecting a movie DVD I think weedougie and alex thyl gave a good and true answer.

Tia1971,

Try this program that protect DVD from Basic DVD Piracy. It will add CSS protection and APS as well notice: If someone has a Computer with AnyDVD this will not stop that person from copying your DVD. Here is the link:

You have a valid question. Technically, the content is not yours, your actually filming someones else’s production, so lets be clear on what is and is not yours to claim.

In a more general sense, stopping anyone who has the out-right desire to copy your works will not happen. At present we see this, the question becomes when can someone actually take action and lay claim to monetary value lost because of such action. First, you have too prove they made money too claim. Second, that value better be more than $75,000 and in some states it better be more than $100,000. Third, that the process has to be on-going. The last one is key - I bang your DVD, make a quick $10,000, court system won’t even see it.

If your still wanting to move forward, the very first step is having the material Copy Right Protected, were talking hiring a firm paying a fee an create documents to that effect. Once that is done, we still revert too what I just mentioned.

Do you have permission from everyone in those two events to sell these?

Compress the dvd down to 4300 mb or smaller with dvd shrink, which is free, and when you finish burning the dvd look on the bottom of it and you will see where nothing was burned on it, then just make a mark on spot where there is no data on it and wahla you have your own copy protection.

If works for the school, say as a marketing teacher or such, he does not have to have permisson to sell the dvds to students/students family/other teachers, as long as he is putting the money back into the class.

The CD & DVD Copy Protections forum is not a law forum so please keep it on topic although this might be interesting. For this kind of stuff take a look here.

For real? This works? Can you 'splain it to me?
I never thought of that.

Caruso

Just like I said just compress the dvd down to where you can clearly see on the outer edge where no data/video was burned on and simply take a sharpie and put a slight mark on it, and it plays just like normal, I have confirmed this and tried it myself. Your average Joe will not beable to copy it because the basic dvd copy software out will read it as a dirty/damaged disc and will not copy it. There are ways to retreive the data/video off it, but as I just stated your average Joe is not that smart :bigsmile: Hope this helps you.

guys guys guys…

spare me a minute.

i would like you to point your browsers to [B]www.geocities.com/jr041283[/B] maybe the tool i got there will somehow help you PROTECT your DVD/CD… who knows???

you might get lucky!

Thankyou…

Poppycock. Just putting a mark on the disk does not keep it from being copied, or at least on the two I tried. I used Nero copy and Vega 7 to import the content on a short 3 minute finalized dvd recording and it copied very easily and fast. I was encouraged when I read the posting that said it would prevent simple copies but it does not seem too. Am I doing something wrong here? What programs does this defeat? I think any copy program won’t be fooled by a mark in an unrecorded area of the disk. I also read that if you physically notched the edge, it would protect it. Not so either. I am not adverse to physical damage to the disk to make it impossible to copy but it must of course play OK in the DVD machine as an original. Any ideas?

Hello,

we use WTM Copy Protection for our VideoCDs. I do not know if it works on VideoDVDs too.

[quote=Alex556;2187732]Hello,

we use WTM Copy Protection for our VideoCDs. I do not know if it works on VideoDVDs too.[/quote]Why do you hide that you work for the manufacturer of that software? :cop:

[QUOTE=thomasprod;2184851]Poppycock. Just putting a mark on the disk does not keep it from being copied, or at least on the two I tried. I used Nero copy and Vega 7 to import the content on a short 3 minute finalized dvd recording and it copied very easily and fast. I was encouraged when I read the posting that said it would prevent simple copies but it does not seem too. Am I doing something wrong here? What programs does this defeat? I think any copy program won’t be fooled by a mark in an unrecorded area of the disk. I also read that if you physically notched the edge, it would protect it. Not so either. I am not adverse to physical damage to the disk to make it impossible to copy but it must of course play OK in the DVD machine as an original. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

It worked for me with a minor tweak. Trick is to mark the edge (outer most circles including some of the written area) that would “damage” some of the data. Obviousely this would make last portion of your movie not play well (I get disturbed video) but you can compensate that with adding “Filler” (not so important) movie clip of aout 2-3 minutes as the last chapter.

P.S. I tried the original method (marking unwritten area) and that did not prevent from image copies, but doing this i.e. placing a dot in last (outer most) track(s) of the written area did the trick. My Image copy software aborted complaining a disk error.