Copy-Protect my Data discs

vbimport

Is there any way to copy-protect data DVD’s? I store files on dvd and I would like some peace of mind if someone got a hold of them and tried to copy them. I know everything is copy-able, but some security would be nice.

If you get certain Plextor drives (Plextor premium, 716-A, 712-A, etc) you can use Securec to protect data Cd’s.

I don’t know if Securec protects data DVD’s. The only Securec drive I have is the Premium.

thanks

[QUOTE=rbpk;934286]Is there any way to copy-protect data DVD’s? I store files on dvd and I would like some peace of mind if someone got a hold of them and tried to copy them. I know everything is copy-able, but some security would be nice.[/QUOTE]

Protect the data itself.

Since the question you answered has been asked 3 years ago, it can be assumed the original poster either found a solution in the meantime or has given up :bigsmile:

Hello,

there are some free on GCW. WTM Copy Protection or DVD Lock is not too expensive.

From their FAQ: http://www.webtoolmaster.com/helpcopyprotection.htm

Q. Which files can be protected with WTM CD Protector? Which ones cannot?
Filetype appendix protectable
Executable file .exe, .com Only if no CRC-Check
Archived, packed file .zip, .rar, .ace, .tar, .jar, … Negative
Media-file (movie/musik) .mpg, .avi, .mp3, … Normally negative (try it)
documents .html, .php, .doc, .xls, .txt Negative
images, pictures .jpg, .bmp, .gif, .jpeg, … Negative

If your DVD has files that are not executables they will not be protected. I wish I had a solution to this as I sell homemade data DVDs with everything but executables on them that I produce myself and I know there is rampant copying of them. Sucks when you spend thousands of hours on a product that people routinely steal from you.

I used to use a freeware program called ScramDisk (which is now the non-free program DriveCypt) to encrypt sensitive data before burning to CD. ScramDisk used a container file to make an encrypted virtual file system. It’s similar to mounting an .iso file with Daemon Tools, except you need the password to unlock the .iso/container. I’d create the container file on the HD in a size that fits on the media to be burned, copy my data into the mounted container, unmount the container and burn the container to CD, then delete the container from the HD. To use, load the CD, enter password, mount the container, and all files are there. Here’s the old ScramDisk page which may explain things a bit better:
http://www.scramdisk.clara.net/

Truecrypt does the same job and it’s free and an open source project.

[QUOTE=kalas;2214870]Truecrypt does the same job and it’s free and an open source project.[/QUOTE]

Nice! I haven’t used ScramDisk since they started charging for it, it’s cool to have a replacement. Thanks. :smiley: