Copy Protect DVD's

vbimport

I’m just getting into the wedding video photography business. I’m wondering if there is a free program to copy protect the DVD’s I make to keep family members from copying them and passing them around to each other. I realize there are all sorts of programs to defeat this, and there’s no sure-fire way to prevent it, but if I can cut out the casual computer with a DVD burner owner from copying my work, it would sure help.

Sorry but there is no way. If there was the movie industry would be doing it.

Well, actually the movie industry already DOES what I want to do. They have copy protection on their DVD’s. I realize that there are programs around it, but I’m just looking for a simple copy protection program to put on DVD’s I make for my business. I understand that copy protection programs can be broken, but most of the people I’m selling wedding DVD’s to won’t go to the trouble or have the expertise to get around them.

Those discs are [B]pressed.[/B] You cannot do that on a burned disc. If it can be burned, it can be read.

I WANT it to be read. I just don’t want it to be copied or, at least I want to make it harder to be copied. If I can somehow make it more complicated to copy, most people won’t bother with it.

as Dialysis1 is saying, the movie industry has tried to stop people coping their films, and spent millions on it aswell, but some free and some very small priced software out there can bypass it, so to be honest i wouldn’t bother.

but, if you must, have a read here

http://www.macrovision.com/products/activereach_dvd/ripguard/index.shtml

http://www.protectdisc.com/With_FL/html/products.html

I agree, trying to copy protect DVDs is a losing proposition. Millions have been spent trying and all have failed miserably.

sorry if this is dredging but i dont surf the web much, maybe someone with a little more insight takes my ideas in and forms it into a more marketable design

i have spoken to people that make lots of money in the recording industry and i know im just a nobody, but with the current media that we have available there is no way to make the disc readable in a dvd player and not be able to be copied on a computer, at least to my knowledge.

the thing ive been suggesting for the past years is expiring media techno like formats of the video on disc with a encryption that has to be validated ViA web with a correct web player key or hash like a dvd player that was purchased from a store. i know that technology like this would just impair pirates but if it constantly changes it would eventually to cause even the hardcore do’r to give up after a while.

Hi and Welcome!

the thing ive been suggesting for the past years is expiring media techno like formats of the video on disc with a encryption that has to be validated ViA web with a correct web player key or hash like a dvd player that was purchased from a store.
That’s exactly what paying customers want. One annoyance after the other.

i know that technology like this would just impair pirates but if it constantly changes it would eventually to cause even the hardcore do’r to give up after a while.
At the time the pirates give up, you already lost your paying customers.

Michael

well at least it could give them something harder to take on, Other then that from how entertainment has been going, yea its still pumping titles out left and right and albums every day but, i honestly dont know how its going to keep pushing with the Price of Actors and Rock Concert overheads when numbers just dwindle, (i know rock concert is a bad analogy now). All i can see in their Future is Smaller budgets and the loss of Future Actor/Actresses, Pop Star’s to possibly the NBA? i dont know i havent slept much today with the major cooking since yesterday in preparation for thanksgiving day. maybe i jumped off the deep end but thats why they built a edit button i guess.
(edit #1 i am by no means saying i havent contributed to their losses of profits

That’s exactly what paying customers want. One annoyance after the other.

as for this comment i cant exactly say i know what i want truly, i know it isnt communism(no insinuation, but i think thats the direction of free media). and maybe what another 15 years the internet might just be 100% free(in the us maybe, was hearing a proposal in house of reps right now or was)

[QUOTE=Bramble666;2612780]well at least it could give them something harder to take on, [/QUOTE]The point is, that you are better off with a pirate copy of your favourite movie than with a legit one because of the lack of FBI warnings, region code, other annoyances (inability to fast forward in some “chapters”) and so on. Where is the extra value that makes buying a movie more attractive than grabbing a pirated copy from ptp or somewhere else?
I don’t want to pay for such junk, and since I don’t support piracy either, I simply boycot them. No need to be the first to have a movie, one year later, you get the same in the Nice Price corner - at least the most annoying “protection” is no longer present in order to cut costs.

Michael

cool i see where your coming from and it is pretty refreshing. i share your pain as far as their feeble attempts to stop us from doing things, that the warning so Blatently slams in your face and makes u just wanna remove that 15 seconods from the film alltogether. Not to mention in the opening scenes to people like me who doesnt really care if paramount funded it or the damn san diego zoo, the people who care about such things allready know the answers before they are put on disc. But maybe we need to change the meaning of “Opening Scenes” to simply “PreIntermission”. and yea i dont even know how all of there invested money into protection is going to hold up against the rise of streaming movies. sounds like an easier and cheaper way to pirate.