Copy my DVD collection to avi for my phillips 5990 dvd player

Hello my fellow Freaks.
I just bought a Phillips 5990 dvd player and the little woman wants her dvds ripped and put on a USB external HD.
What are some good programs (easy to use) that will copy the DVD content to avi format so she can watch them off of the external HD?
Thanks in advance
Fred

Rip the dvd to the hard drive to work with first. You can use DVDFab HD Decrypter for this. It is the free section within DVDFab and will continue to function even after the trial for the main part of the program expires.
Found here: http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

To convert to avi, you can use one of many different programs, some of the best are free. Look at AutoGK, Xvid4PSP (very versatile, don’t let the name fool you), or Handbrake.

Of those, try Handbrake first and see if you like the controls. AutoGK is another tried and true program, virtually bulletproof, so look into it if you don’t like Handbrake.

[QUOTE=WebRat;2298784]Hello my fellow Freaks.
I just bought a Phillips 5990 dvd player and [B]the little woman wants her dvds ripped and put on a USB external HD.[/B]
What are some good programs (easy to use) that will copy the DVD content to avi format so she can watch them off of the external HD?
Thanks in advance
Fred[/QUOTE]
Do inform her that menus and chapters will be gone.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2299277]Do inform her that menus and chapters will be gone.[/QUOTE]

is there a program that wont remove the menus and chapters?

[QUOTE=WebRat;2299306]is there a program that wont remove the menus and chapters?[/QUOTE]

Not when converting to avi format.

You could make a new menu and chapter points using the divx codec, but only with certain programs that can author divx, like some of the TMPGenc programs and Divx Author