Copy my digital tapes

Dear All

I have nero 7 (for which I have to thank this forum!).

After months of “frustration” and giving up trying to copy my digital video tapes onto DVDs what mgiht be the easiest way to achieve this?

I have Pinnacle Studio 9 and have previously imported an hour long tape, but not managed to burn one. Well, not quite true it “Told” me I had successfully burnt one, but it sputtered and hissed when played back on the dvd player.

Having just binned pinnacle cd/dvd burning software is it time to bin this too?

Any thoughts appreciated

What kind of tapes are you talking about? Camera raw footage? MiniDV or Digital8 (Sony format)?
When you say that you “imported”. Was it from camera or from a digital video recorder?

In the event of being MiniDV tapes with raw camera footage, Pinnacle should be able to “capture” - using the camera - from the tape (I’m not sure if it has an auto facility to capture individual scenes), edit (cut and add transitions) and render to Mpeg2 or author the DVD (I don’t know what it can do here).

At the same level of software, I’ve done this with Ulead’s VideoStudio and works.

What kind of tapes are you talking about? Camera raw footage? MiniDV or Digital8 (Sony format)?
When you say that you “imported”. Was it from camera or from a digital video recorder?

In the event of being MiniDV tapes with raw camera footage, Pinnacle should be able to “capture” - using the camera - from the tape (I’m not sure if it has an auto facility to capture individual scenes), edit (cut and add transitions) and render to Mpeg2 or author the DVD (I don’t know what it can do here).

At the same level of software, I’ve done this with Ulead’s VideoStudio and works.

If you talk about digital tapes from a home video recorder is a different story, and you need to check the files format.
The way from there could be more than one, but if it is just to pass to DVD you may be able to do that using a DVD authoring package - to choose one you have to find compatibility with you files format.

Thanks for your replies

I am recording on a home digital video camera and its .avi It is raw (I think) and I have always imported it at max quality which I take to mean with no compression.

I have captured this before using the Pinnacle - it detects the scenes and so on if I want it to. I have done trasitions, editing, adding sound tracks etc in the past. But i never found it reliable, it crashed many times, and I ended up giving up. It would freeze. I found a small free, utility that I can’t remember the name of that I used to import the .avi file. This seemed more reliable than using Pinnacle. When I scanned through the file it seemed to play just fine. I then used Pinnacle to burn it. When I burnt it there was juddering after about 10 mintues of the hour. I gave up.

Now that I have begun to gain some confidence with the whole cd/dvd thing again (thanks to nero) I feel thatI want to have another go.

All I really want is a back up of my digital video tapes. and a way of wathcing them on the telly that doesn’t involve lots more leads and getting the camera out.

Surely that’s not that hard?

Version 9 of Pinnacle had some buggs. Got one with a notebook but never used.
As I said I did use Ulead VideoStudio and Media Studio Pro.
There are two main probs - the capture codec and the final Mpeg encoding - that can determine end quality and the absence of difital artifacts.
VideoStudio, from version 9, has MainConcepts Mpwg2 codec that is a good one, besides it comes with a cut version made for Ulead.
You can get freeware to do this job,
You know the work it does to capture - the initial project definitions are also important - edit and so on.
Disc burning software have som tools that can do a lot of things with video, either Nero or Roxio (just to indicate a couple), but to the basic side.
Maybe if you have a look at
www.videohelp.com
you will find a lot of info about video and video tools.

I use Pinnacle Studio 9 and have never had any problems with it. :confused:

I knew someone would say that!

Lucky you wobble.
It happens with all video editors, if you go through the forums there are a lot o people complaining about problems others don’t experience.
Just wanted to refer I heard about probs with this particular one, as I couldn’t evaluate maxelcat’s ones. This way he could investigate the causes of his issues.
Just as an example of things I did read:
http://discuss.pcmag.com/forums/394171001/ShowPost.aspx
At the end, I’d be pleased he can solve it the easiest possible way.

Yea, I guess I should feel lucky. I haven’t and any of the problems that the people on your link are having. I’m using A limited SE version updated to 9.4.3. It,s possible that the SE version is missing the options that are causing the problems. :confused: