Copy multiple images on the same computer at the same time?

vbimport

Hi gang, been a lurker for many many years here and finally decided to register today. I was wondering if some one could answer a question for me.

I have many ISO images on different hard drives on one computer that I would like to be able to copy to DVDR’s but instead of doing my usual way of one at a time, I would like to be able to burn three or more images at the same time on different drives. I want to save time sitting at this machine doing this.

I know about duplicators but they as I understand them do not burn seperate images to each drive but the same images to all of there drives and I only need one copy of each thing I have. So if this is possible on my Intel PC please tell me what I need to do to be able to do this.

I know I’ll need multiple burners, but what else? Thanks!

This would be some serious multi tasking on the part of your computer. I run two computers to be able to manage multiple images, especially when in a time crunch.

I currently run 4 computers to do this but none of them are under 4 years old which is why I’m either looking at buying new machines or figuring out how to do this. Thanks

I haven’t tried this & probably won’t need to.
I think if you had multiple copies of CloneDVD2 maybe you could have each one doing a copy to a different burner.
This would require multiple liscenses I think .If you haven’t already used the trial you might be able to test to see if this would work.Not sure if you could once you purchased a copy.

[quote=cholla;2017043]I haven’t tried this & probably won’t need to.
I think if you had multiple copies of CloneDVD2 maybe you could have each one doing a copy to a different burner.
This would require multiple liscenses I think .If you haven’t already used the trial you might be able to test to see if this would work.Not sure if you could once you purchased a copy.[/quote]

I’ve tried this and it didn’t work. My buffers went nuts and it doubled the burning times.

I’m really shocked no ones doing this?

No-one’s doing this because it may not be worth it timewise. With the older computers and slow bus/HDD/PATA datapaths it will probably be just as quick to burn them one at a time (as you are finding out).

You can do the maths with data transfer rates etc but so many factors like disk fragmentation, system memory to support these multiple program instances, and different drive firmwares can compromise the theoretical assessment. I bet you that one 16x burner can do three 16x discs one after the other in less time than three 16x burners can do three discs simultaneously :wink:

I found this You didn’t post if the .iso’s were movies.

1. Rip all desired movies to your HD as ISO images
  2. Get mounting software and mount each ISO image as a separate virtual “Disk” drive
  3. Open the first “Disk” in Shrink, go to Reauthor mode
  4. Drag the main movie title to the left side
  5. On the right side, using DVD BROWSER tab, select the next “Disk”
  6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you have everything your want
  7. Switch to COMPRESSION SETTINGS tab on the right side, and set your settings
  8. Proceed as normal.

I tried this too. The main reason I upgraded to Nero7 was the ability to burn 2 disks at once. Trouble was I could do it faster one at a time. This works fine running 2 instances of say cloneDVD Mobile converting 2 movies at once or maybe 3 if your gonna leave it alone and not worried about the time.

[quote=imkidd57;2017259]No-one’s doing this because it may not be worth it timewise. With the older computers and slow bus/HDD/PATA datapaths it will probably be just as quick to burn them one at a time (as you are finding out).

You can do the maths with data transfer rates etc but so many factors like disk fragmentation, system memory to support these multiple program instances, and different drive firmwares can compromise the theoretical assessment. I bet you that one 16x burner can do three 16x discs one after the other in less time than three 16x burners can do three discs simultaneously ;)[/quote]

So if someone bought the latest top of the line Quad Core Processor, and had 3 Gigs of Ram, and using the fastest hard drives would it be able to support it?

It’s very expensive for me running 4 machines to do one task. It would be cheaper if I spent $1000 on a new computer with those specs then it would be in monthly power use, hardware upgrades, etc.

Probably I can’t answer that but I’ll transfer this to ‘General Hardware’ section for those experts to have an input.

Edit: Done.

If the ISOs are on the the same HDD, it won’t matter what you do you’ll be limited to burning one at a time. A RAID-0 array using Raptor drives will accomplish 2 at 16x, or possibly 3 at 8x.

With multiple SATA HDDs and multiple SATA burners, the odds of success go up. You should be able to accomplish 2-4 simultaneous burns with minimal trouble, assuming each ISO is on a separate HDD. You can open as many instances of Nero as you want. The amount of CPU power and RAM really shouldn’t be much of a factor.

+1 CDan.

You wouldn’t need a quad core to do that, like cdan said, you would need one image per HDD. Its pretty cheap to get a few smaller sata HDD’s and SATA dvd burners.

The only time you should hit a bandwidth wall is if your SATA controller(s) is on the PCI bus. If it’s on the chipset, there’s almost no CPU load. You wonlt generally find a chipset based controller with more than 4 SATA ports. Boards with more than 4 ports usually have a secondary controller that is on the PCI bus.

[quote=CDan;2018524]If the ISOs are on the the same HDD, it won’t matter what you do you’ll be limited to burning one at a time. A RAID-0 array using Raptor drives will accomplish 2 at 16x, or possibly 3 at 8x.

With multiple SATA HDDs and multiple SATA burners, the odds of success go up. You should be able to accomplish 2-4 simultaneous burns with minimal trouble, assuming each ISO is on a separate HDD. You can open as many instances of Nero as you want. The amount of CPU power and RAM really shouldn’t be much of a factor.[/quote]

So the key is seperate hard drives! I tried this with the images on the same hard drive the last time. I will give it a go later this week. Thanks for the advice. I will report my findings later :clap: