Copy mini dvd-r to full size dvd

I’m a newbie and I hope this is the right place to post…

I want to back up mini dvd’s (specifically dvd-r) to a full size dvd-r. Has anyone been successful in doing this? If so, please let me know how you go about this.

I have tried to do this with the software (MovieAlbum SE) that came with my camcorder & I also tried with Nero and have been unsuccessful. I am getting an error Unrecognized UDF Format version 1.5. Need version 2.01.

I am able to play the mini dvd-r from my camcorder, from my dvd rom & from my dvd player.

Any info would be helpful - Thank you!!!

HI
Welcome to CD Freaks,
Try using DVD Decrypter and turning it into a ISO file then burning with the same program. Also check here http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

My favorite topic!

DVD Decrypter:

Mode->ISO Read

Mode->ISO Write

Done!

Help!!! I downloaded dvd decrypter set mode to ISO Read. I tried from Camcorder (via USB) to Hard Drive and from DVD ROM to hard drive.

Getting Error:
I 15:28:46 DVD Decrypter Version 3.5.4.0 started!
I 15:28:46 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)
I 15:28:46 Initialising SPTI…
I 15:28:46 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices…
I 15:28:46 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD±RW!
I 15:29:07 Operation Started!
I 15:29:07 Source Device: [5:0:0] SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615 FYS2 (E:) (ATA)
I 15:29:07 Source Media Type: DVD-R
I 15:29:07 Source Media Region Code: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
I 15:29:07 Source Media Copyright Protection System Type: None
I 15:29:07 Source Media Application Identifier: HITACHI AV Application
I 15:29:07 Source Media Implementation Identifier: HITACHI DVD UDF_FS
I 15:29:07 Destination File: C:\Documents and Settings\AnnMarie Valentin\My Documents\My DVDs est\DVD_CAMERA.ISO
I 15:29:07 File Splitting: Auto
I 15:29:07 Detect Mastering Errors: No
I 15:29:07 Remove Macrovision Protection: Yes
I 15:29:07 Extracting Sectors… (LBA: 0 - 671519)
I 15:29:09 Found IFO File: VIDEO_TS.IFO - (LBA: 1168 - 1173)
I 15:29:16 Found VOB File: VIDEO_TS.VOB - (LBA: 1232 - 1244) - KEY: N/A
I 15:36:19 Abort Request Acknowledged
E 15:36:21 Failed to read Sector 1363 - CIRC Unrecovered Error
E 15:36:21 Failed to Extract Sectors!
E 15:36:21 Operation Aborted! - Duration: 00:07:13
E 15:36:21 Average Read Rate: 6 KB/s (0.0x) - Maximum Read Rate: 4,728 KB/s (3.4x)
I 15:36:36 Operation Started!
I 15:36:36 Source Device: [5:0:0] SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615 FYS2 (E:) (ATA)
I 15:36:36 Source Media Type: DVD-R
I 15:36:36 Source Media Region Code: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
I 15:36:36 Source Media Copyright Protection System Type: None
I 15:36:36 Source Media Application Identifier: HITACHI AV Application
I 15:36:36 Source Media Implementation Identifier: HITACHI DVD UDF_FS
I 15:36:36 Destination File: C:\Documents and Settings\AnnMarie Valentin\My Documents\My DVDs est\DVD_CAMERA.ISO
I 15:36:36 File Splitting: Auto
I 15:36:36 Detect Mastering Errors: No
I 15:36:36 Remove Macrovision Protection: Yes
I 15:36:36 Extracting Sectors… (LBA: 0 - 671519)
I 15:36:39 Found IFO File: VIDEO_TS.IFO - (LBA: 1168 - 1173)
E 16:03:16 Failed to read Sector 1217 - CIRC Unrecovered Error
E 16:03:20 Failed to Extract Sectors!
E 16:03:20 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:26:44
E 16:03:20 Average Read Rate: 1 KB/s (0.0x) - Maximum Read Rate: 4,728 KB/s (3.4x)

do you have a dvd burner installed that pc…or a dvd-rom?

I have both a DVD ROM (E drive)
and DVD BURNER (F drive)

reading the log…it’s failing trying to read…is the disc dirty or scratched? You can bump dvd decrypter to an error retry of 50, worked for me in the past had disc copies…the trick is to get it to yur hdd first…last time i had trouble with decryper on a stubborn disc, I had to rip in file mode.

I appreciate your help…
I tried in file mode and still got same error. I will try another mini dvd-r…

Tried multiple discs. They all look clean and new. I bumped up retries to 50. Also tried in file mode. Still unable to copy 1 of 6 files. Any other ideas???

thats odd, you shouldn’t be having this much truble, have you tried ripping from both drives, maybe one has a better read strategy then the other. also, are you doing any other task, or lettng your machine just rip as a stand alone project?

I was rereading the entire post…are you still trying to cature from the camera via usb, or reading the disc directly from one of your optical drives?

mini dvd cam corders are not my specialty, but after a recording, does this critter finalize the disc? not sure if it’s a default or not…really should have asked earlier, but not a device I play with.

Advice we have been giving you assumes…

1 you have a working computer with working optical drives.
2 your drives can read these mini dvd’s
3 you have enough hard drive space to hold the rip.

:slight_smile:

To answer your questions:
1 - I was doing nothing else on the machine.
2 - I tried both ways. Left mini dvd-r in camcorder and tried to get on hard drive via usb connection. And put Mini dvd-r in dvd rom and tried to get to rip to hard drive.
3 - Yes - I did finalize the disc in the camcorder before trying anything
4 - Yes - I have working computer with working optical drives, I have over 150 Gig Free space. I would assume the drives can read the mini dvd-r’s because I can play it in the drive after I finalize the disk. Make sense???

I know this is frustrating for you…but in fairness…we are fishing here…there is no good reason this should be a difficult project. Try the disk in the dvd burner…after you verify you have dma…yaeh yeah…everybody says dma is the reason…it’s worth double checking.

past that, I’m baffled…and honestly trying to help. I’d toss out aspi, but that would have no bearing to the best of my knowledge the usb capture that tanks.

you have hopefully swept for viruses and spyware…programs running in the backround…stuff like that?

I have a stupid question - what is dma??
I know you are trying to help and believe me, I appreciate it. I"m pulling my hair out.

direct memory access…your optical drives and hdd’s should have it enabled on your pc…in control panel / device manager you should be able to verify it is on…or turn it on. Wording may vary abit depending on what version of windows you are on.

for the record…the stupid question is the one you don’t ask…we all start someplace…:slight_smile:

I don’t see direct memory acces. I see Logical Disk Manager Service is not started…FYI: I am running Windows XP Service Pack 2

well i tried to start that service and re-run. No go. :Z

Just a shot in the dark. My original error is regarding a UDF Format. Do you know how to Format a DVD in UDF 2.0???

each of your drives…optical and hdd…if you look at properties…dma should be an option…if so…turn…each drive and reboot.

I believe my drive is defective. I’m having another drive shipped to me. I will try all of the above once I receive the new drive. Hopefully I will not have any issues. I will post and let you know how I make out. And hopefully DVD Decrypter will handle it for me!!! Thanks for all your posts.