Copy Mini Disc music to CD or DVD or BOTH

I have a large collection of Sony Mini-Disc music that I have recorded from various bands. I need to find out if there is an external CD/DVD Recorder that has inputs to accomplish this task…or is there a way to copy the mini-disc to my computer and then to a CD/DVD.

I am new here so if this question has already been answered please point me in the right direction,

Those are the cassette style mini-discs? Do you still have the recorder that made them? What outputs does it have?

The Sony Mini-Disc is a propriatary disc which was introduced by sony, and had several models. I think they still manufacture some of them, but I stopped using them a long time ago because just like BETA it never really caught on. Yes, I still have the recorder in perfect condition with a headphone stereo plug output jack. I have a cable with the mini jack on one side and two RCA plugs on the other side. I was hoping to send the audio into my computer and then burn the music on to CD or DVD, but I need a program that will do this!

Instead of using RCA cables you can just get a cable with the headphone jack on both sides and feed it into your sound cards input. I don’t recall if the connector on the PC sound card is 2.5mm or 3.5mm. They sell these cables on ebay for $1, you can even get one with 2.5mm on one end and 3.5mm on the other if that is what’s needed.

Then update your sound cards software, there should be the ability to record right there in the sound cards software. You might want to then convert that file into an mp3 because it might be huge WAV files.

Copy? No.
You have to re-digitze them by connecting the MD player to a audio input from your soundcard/computer.

Yeah its too bad there is no digital output on his recorder, I thought they had them. Quality won’t really be the same, but if its one of a kind stuff then its worth it.

[QUOTE=BallenGuy;2492949]I have a large collection of Sony Mini-Disc music that I have recorded from various bands. I need to find out if there is an external CD/DVD Recorder that has inputs to accomplish this task…or is there a way to copy the mini-disc to my computer and then to a CD/DVD.

I am new here so if this question has already been answered please point me in the right direction,[/QUOTE]

You’d most likely to find a digital SPDIF optical out on a full-sized component-sized recorder. Very few portables have any digital outs at all whatsoever. If you have a portable with only analog outputs, you’ll have to transfer the content the old-fashioned analog way - in real-time via the stereo analog connections to your computer system’s sound card or onboard audio.

And hardly any external CD/DVD recorder these days have any analog or audio-only inputs whatsoever, so you’ll have to transfer audio to the computer first before transferring it to CD. The portable no-computer-required burners can only burn to DVD (and do not support burns onto CD), so that would not have helped your dilemna.

And even if you could transfer your self-made MiniDisc recordings digitally through the SPDIF out, you’ll still have to confront DRM issues. The DRM for MiniDisc allowed digital copies from the originally recorded disc to another digital medium, but would not even allow you to make any further digital copies from the copy that you’ve just made. (Simply put, the DRM for MiniDisc allows only one digital generation of copying from a self-recorded MD.) In some systems, DRM also applies to any transfers from the computer’s hard drive to a disc, resulting in a write failure! As a result, the only way to completely bypass DRM if you have such a DRM-laden computer system would be to transfer the content to the computer using the old-fashioned analog connections.

And since you have a portable with only analog outputs, you’ll have to find a stereo mini to stereo mini patch cable in order to use the player/recorder with a computer system since very few PC sound cards have any RCA inputs at all.